Author Topic: G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question  (Read 23046 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2007 - 08:11:41 PM »
No problem Al.....   All you did was bring up a topic.  It is a high profile car at a high profile auction.  If you hadn't asked the question, sooner or later someone else would have.  I viewed the sites that he invited us to see and there are detractors of his car on those sites also.  There are also folks that love it as there are here.  Don't sweat it, I am sure he has put this behind him and he is moving forward to his next venture.   I am sure we haven't seen the last of the car.  I am curious to see how long that style remains in style.  Maybe it will turn up at another auction in a year or two and we'll get a feel for the staying power of the car--value wise.  Cheers buddy....     :cheers:     
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2007 - 08:26:15 PM »
Hey Moparal...... You know my middle name is Al.  Whenever anyone posts on any forum, it opens the door for them to get pounded if the other person so desires.  He had his opinion and we had ours.  Hang in there. You're in good hands with Cuda-Challenger. 

PS.  I am kind of disappointed that he didn't comment on my project.!!! :violin: :violin: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:
Dave or David

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:34:05 PM »
I have some questions.

1. Do we really know for 100% certain that the the guy that built the door stop car is the Mr. G that signed up here?

2. If the answer to that question is yes, does his mom know that he is on the internet un-supervised?

3. If he is who he says he is, did everyone here lose all respect for him based on his comments?

I know I did..........
Barry

1. G-force is Bob Johnson, previous owner of the g-force cuda
(Alan Johnson of Johnsons Hot Rod Shop-no relation to Bob built the Cuda, as per Bob's instructions and Chris Ito's renderings
2.Bob is 61 years old, doesn't need his mother's permission
3.Bob came here to defend himself after someone posted a link on protouring about the slamming he and his car was getting here.

Hi,
My name is, as my username says Bill Howell. I live in Pigeon Forge Tennessee, own musclerides.com and am a moderator on Pro-touring.com.
I am not here to start or continue a pissing contest, but will simply state a few facts. Bob Johnson has built some of the best cars ever seen in our hobby. He is not just a Mopar fan, but a true car guy. He is 61 years old, and anyone that knows him knows he speaks his mind. While his cuda may not have been the type build this site likes, it was truely an innovative car in the industry. I have seen the car many times this past year, including following it about 500 miles on the Power Tour in June. I have seen it run a drag strip, and be beat up on an autocross. This car was for real, very nice at car shows but most of all was run every bit as hard as any car on this site, period. To state the car was not your cup of tea is certainly fine, and respected, however to say it was ugly, obviously, that poster never saw the car in person. there were styling cues from the Superbird on the front fenders that actually were functional (scoops over front tires allowed more wheel travel and clearance). The car absolutely did all it was asked to do and yes did break a time or two, because it was pushed, not trailered to events. For it to be selected as the SMOTY proved it was a great build and also a nice car in general. The shame here to me is the fact there are so many things that could be learned from this car and the build that could benefit members here on your cars. Sure, most of us can never even imagine building a $800K+ car, but there were several ideas on the Cuda I used on my Chevy.
What I am trying to say is even though Bob got off on the wrong foot here, if you really knew him, you would like him. He does not look down at people that are not as well off as he is. He has been very critical of my car from time to time, but rather than get huffy about it, I have learned several things listening to what he had to say. Anyone that has done all he has done can teach rookies like me a thing or two.
I guess what I am trying to get across is this, sometimes it is better to think twice before you slam someone's car on the internet, or at least be able to back up your comments, since you never know who is reading your post. The world is a much smaller place since we have the internet and google now.

Since this is my first post, I will go ahead here and tell why I am on this board.
While I do not own a cuda or challenger, I did buy a 72 Charger while I was in Arizona last week, so I have been snooping around here trying to learn some things. I have a couple protouring style cars, but I plan to leave this one basically stock since it is such an original survivor. BTW, anyone know what the hp was for a 72 400-4 was. It is supposed to be the high output engine?
Also, anyone have any suggestions on the biggest size wheel/tire combo that will fit on a stock charger?
Thanks
Bill Howell

Offline v8440

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:48:40 PM »
Judging by the way he acted, he's an awful young 61.  First, he probably would have been better served not worrying so much about what someone he doesn't know thinks about a car he no longer owns.  Barring the good sense to do that, he REALLY should have approached the board in a different way.  Alas, he did not.  Hence, the public flaying witnessed here.  He actually got off easy compared to what his juvenile attacks deserved.  I mean, come on man-trying to joke on someone's girlfriend/wife/house/whatever because they don't like your car?  That's solidly in the land of 4th graders.  Exactly what did he come here for-what result was he hoping for?  His first post calls the whole board a bunch of geeks?  Yeah, that'll work.  Dee dee dee!  He's so worried about all this that he now has someone else register and explain his actions.  I know, he probably didn't ask you to do this.  Regardless, he took his own foot and beat himself dead off in the face with it-no one did it to him.  If he had problems with comments made about the car and cared enough to join, he might have gotten a decent response and apologies if he had acted like he had some sense.  Unfortunately, he did not.

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:49:14 PM »
Hmmmm...... 

http://www.musclerides.com/Pages/posting/blowedup.mov

Absolutely, that really happened. It was about a $5000 pass for the Cuda, and the reason the car was not at Maxons the next weekend. However, that video proved Bob was not scared to test the car's limits. How many SMOTY cars you ever seen on a drag strip???
Real car guys drive their junk. :2thumbs:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:58:50 PM »
I wonder why 10 "Guests" are watching this thread right now?    :dunno:   :clueless: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

71challengher

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:59:34 PM »
I wonder why 10 "Guests" are watching this thread right now?    :dunno:   :clueless: 
Me too :dunno:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:08:11 PM »
Welcome to the site Bill. How about some pics of your cars . . . love to see them.    :grinyes:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:16:04 PM »
Bill, My name is Alan. I started this post. I have no ill comments or remarks to make about your friend Bob. I am rather local to him also.  The remarks made here were like protect and serve I guess. But for the most part, most here did like the style/look and performance of Bob's car.
To answer your question
a 400 hp 72 model was only around 185 hp. There are things you can do to the engine without removing it to bring the performance level up to par for pump gas. You also have a stroker option as you well know, or a piston and cam swap that will make the 400 run some good times and cruise very well. I live off hwy 278 in Cullman. If you need a tuner for your challenger, I am glad to offer my services. Also a 72 never came factory with a 400 in a challenger. If you think so...please post the begining digets of your vin. That car would be worth more then the g force was ever intended on sell for.

Let your friend Bob know that he is welcome to contact me in my info page and I can give him my number if he is looking for any good mopars that are in good shape to play with. Have you read every page on this thread. Attitudes very, but for the most part the car was accepted in the talks as a very nice car. Just a mis understanding of attitudes got things off on the wrong foot.

I myself, hope that all comes out well for everyone involved. I have no hard feelings about anybody, but did carry a guilt feeling seeing everyone getting uptight over simple remarks. Have a good night and welcome to our site.I hope you stay around, we are always willing to help anyone in the hobby....ALAN

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:16:22 PM »
Sure, but I will be hated....lol
A 65 GTO convert protouring car, flowmaster nov.07 calender car
80 malibu
70 chevelle
72 Charger, just got it home from Arizona today
I don't have any pictures hosted anywhere and don't now how to attach pictures here, so give me a day or two and I will post in the proper forum here.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:19:16 PM »
OOPS I see charger now not challenger....sorry. My head is swimin in E bodies

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:24:09 PM »
Bill, My name is Alan. I started this post. I have no ill comments or remarks to make about your friend Bob. I am rather local to him also.  The remarks made here were like protect and serve I guess. But for the most part, most here did like the style/look and performance of Bob's car.
To answer your question
a 400 hp 72 model was only around 185 hp. There are things you can do to the engine without removing it to bring the performance level up to par for pump gas. You also have a stroker option as you well know, or a piston and cam swap that will make the 400 run some good times and cruise very well. I live off hwy 278 in Cullman. If you need a tuner for your challenger, I am glad to offer my services. Also a 72 never came factory with a 400 in a challenger. If you think so...please post the begining digets of your vin. That car would be worth more then the g force was ever intended on sell for.

Let your friend Bob know that he is welcome to contact me in my info page and I can give him my number if he is looking for any good mopars that are in good shape to play with. Have you read every page on this thread. Attitudes very, but for the most part the car was accepted in the talks as a very nice car. Just a mis understanding of attitudes got things off on the wrong foot.

I myself, hope that all comes out well for everyone involved. I have no hard feelings about anybody, but did carry a guilt feeling seeing everyone getting uptight over simple remarks. Have a good night and welcome to our site.I hope you stay around, we are always willing to help anyone in the hobby....ALAN

My car is a charger, not challenger. I knew the 72s were weak on hp, but 185 :22yikes:
If you have a link to the mentioned upgrades I would love to do some research. It has been several years since I owned a Mopar so I am sure I am behind the eight ball on modern upgrades.
I will pass the info on to Bob but right now he is focused on a bonneville racer he is building for this year's event. A XLR Caddy with a top speed of 250 or so.  He does plan on doing one more Mopar before he quits building cars, more over the top than the Cuda.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:50:44 PM »
I knew the 72s were weak on hp, but 185 :22yikes:

in 1972 industry standard for horsepower ratings changed from gross to net
400ci 2brl = 190HP
400ci 4brl = 250HP
 per http://www.allpar.com/model/charger.html
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2007 - 11:07:59 PM »
Bill, My name is Alan. I started this post. I have no ill comments or remarks to make about your friend Bob. I am rather local to him also.  The remarks made here were like protect and serve I guess. But for the most part, most here did like the style/look and performance of Bob's car.
To answer your question

Alan,
In one of your previous posts, you mentioned the danger of prolonged high speed runs in a Cuda. I know too well what you are talking about, I had a 71 Satellite in high school that was deadly at 110mph. However, the g force Cuda had a Art Morrison frame rail/Johnson built full cage frame with high tech front Upper and Lower control arms, coil overs, etc, so it had no problem at any speed. The car was clocked at 191 and was reported very comfortable at that speed. Part of it's design was to do the 0-2-0 event, so it was very smooth at those high speeds unlike a stock setup.

Bullitt99, thanks for the info, 250 sounds much better....lol

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2007 - 11:08:17 PM »
Bill, check this thread, all e-bodys but you might find a wheel tire combo you like.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=26633.0
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!