G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question

Author Topic: G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question  (Read 23055 times)

Offline Bill Howell

Re: G force 71 cuda at BJ auction question
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2007 - 04:10:40 PM »
Right, regardless of how much money was spent on the Cuda, it was still a car and had to be sorted out just like any other car. Of course, it was in unchartered territory with the combo of a Hemi up front and basically a C-6 trans axle in the rear. The R and D was done in real time, try something then redo it when the weak link was found. No one had ever done something like this, so it was all trial and error. Coupled with the fact it was such a high profile car is why it seemed to break alot. True is, it was just like my car, just not everyone knew everytime mine took a dump. Really it only had engine trouble once, and that was an oiling problem or oil starvation problem not a build issue. The clutch was the main PITA, and that was finally solved just before the auction. The entire rotating assembly of the last clutch, PP and bearing was less than 11 pounds.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier was about the streamlining of the body. Remember a 71 Cuda was not the most aero body ever built. Since 200+mph was the goal, the car had to be reworked so it would slip thru the air better. I seriously doubt anyone here or elsewhere would actually push a stock body to 200 mph.
Bob's only regret, and I mean only regret is the fact that he simply ran out of time and did not get to do everything he had planned with the car. All in all though it did do more than my junk will ever do.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2007 - 06:40:55 PM »
Thanks Bill
I appreciate the honest and forthright approach you took to my questions.  I would never have been so demanding but for GF to attack my car the way he did......

Thanks again and I love that Charger!!

(By the way, my best time is 12.41 @ 106 in the quarter with a 360)  But I built it for consistancy in bracket racing

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2007 - 09:00:45 PM »
What was his rush to sell it?  Did he actually expect to make a profit?  To me seems like a car you'd build to go fast and could be in magazines and so on.  But something you build to how you want it. 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2007 - 04:57:20 PM »
The only rush was the fact that Barrett Jackson is only once a year and next year the car would be old news. It was worth more last week at that auction with all the big guys there than it will be any other time this year.  NO, profit was never a consideration, just the best possible return on the investment. Remember, high profile builds like that car have more rewards than just money return, relationships forged with suppliers will go on forever as Bob builds more cars. It is hard if not impossible to measure that value.

Offline Mr. 440SixPack

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2007 - 12:09:47 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention earlier was about the streamlining of the body. Remember a 71 Cuda was not the most aero body ever built. Since 200+mph was the goal, the car had to be reworked so it would slip thru the air better. I seriously doubt anyone here or elsewhere would actually push a stock body to 200 mph.

Some time ago I did this topic on transamcuda about 'Cuda Europe racing. Very Interesting stuff :thumbsup:
(my nick:arminator)  :worshippy GURSAVSKI :worshippy

http://www.transamcuda.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1122785813

Just a few lines from topic...

Gary Savage:

"After the '70 season, it was sent over to France, had a hemi put in
it and ran it at LeMans in '71-72.  Of course, the hemi never lasted 24
hours, but it is rumored that they clocked the 'Cuda at 190 MPH down the
Mulsane straight.
  I can believe it, as I've had our car up to 160 MPH with
a 4.11 rear end and a small block.  I've had our stock bodied '73 Challenger
Petty Kit car up to 180 MPH at Daytona and that's with no front spoiler.
Kinda wild!"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007 - 12:15:02 PM by Mr. 440SixPack »
My dream: 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 440+6 Pack/4 speed Pistol Grip/Dana 60 rearend/PS, PB/Lime Light/Shaker hood/Rallye dash...

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2007 - 02:50:04 PM »
Some time ago I did this topic on transamcuda about 'Cuda Europe racing. Very Interesting stuff :thumbsup:
(my nick:arminator)  :worshippy GURSAVSKI :worshippy

http://www.transamcuda.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1122785813

Just a few lines from topic...

Gary Savage:

"After the '70 season, it was sent over to France, had a hemi put in
it and ran it at LeMans in '71-72.  Of course, the hemi never lasted 24
hours, but it is rumored that they clocked the 'Cuda at 190 MPH down the
Mulsane straight.
  I can believe it, as I've had our car up to 160 MPH with
a 4.11 rear end and a small block.  I've had our stock bodied '73 Challenger
Petty Kit car up to 180 MPH at Daytona and that's with no front spoiler.
Kinda wild!"

I believe it, with the right suspension setup, gearing, and a powerful engine. 180-190 is possible.
I always felt that my Cuda, at 100-110 was pretty stable with out a front spoiler. If there is any data on wind drag of a 70 Cuda, I would bet it's better than a 70 Corvette coupe which I read was one of the worst because of it's high front and rear fenders.

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2007 - 09:03:55 PM »
I drove a 71 Cuda this summer (not my car) to around 150mph, it had an air bad suspended solid axle rear end and an AlterKation R&P front suspension with coil overs. The body and frame were reienforced throughout but no visible cage, etc. Wheels and tires were high end alloys with plus sized V rated tires and the car was motivated by a stroked Hemi. So, although the cars body panels were stock, and the interior was complete and mostly stock, the car was hardly "showroom original". I drove it past 150 on a couple short spurts on lonely highway stretches and it felt VERY solid and safe (no, I wasn't safe, it just felt that way) it could have gone allot faster but I got out of it early.

:2cents:

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2007 - 10:48:13 PM »
The only rush was the fact that Barrett Jackson is only once a year and next year the car would be old news. It was worth more last week at that auction with all the big guys there than it will be any other time this year.  NO, profit was never a consideration, just the best possible return on the investment. Remember, high profile builds like that car have more rewards than just money return, relationships forged with suppliers will go on forever as Bob builds more cars. It is hard if not impossible to measure that value.

I understand what your saying here... but to build a car and have to have it done for the auction doesnt make sense to me.  I mean build a car like that, enjoy it for a while first.  To me either build it to enjoy it or build for a profit.  I never even saw the car before the auction stuff started coming up.  No I dont subscribe to all the big mags, but I think it could have been put more out there and sold for more in a year.  But thats just my opinion.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2007 - 08:31:12 AM »
Maybe this was the rush to sell it. The G-Force model just came out at Target! :22yikes:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2007 - 12:02:28 PM »
I personally loved the car, every aspect of it, its just my thing and my taste though.  I bet the money he lost at the auction will be made back from Hotwheels..lol.   :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2007 - 01:12:47 PM »
Now it all adds up :roflsmiley:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2007 - 02:32:33 PM »
Bob gets nothing out of the Hot Wheels deal other than the bragging rights that he built a car that was a Hot Wheels car. I think they sent him 200 copys, and Alan got another 200. That is all he got out of the deal. Still pretty cool to have your car made into a hot wheel. I could only wish I got that one day.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2007 - 02:47:27 PM »
That would be a pretty cool honor and braggin' rights.  Too bad he didn't make alittle cash too  . . would of helped some maybe.   :grinyes:

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2007 - 05:11:08 PM »
I have that model also. To bad the builder doesn't get anything from it other that braggin rights.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2007 - 05:13:47 PM »
Bob is an awesome car visionary and builder.....   BUT  we gotta teach that boy some negotiating skills....    :bigshades:    :roflsmiley:   :smilielol:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"