Author Topic: Any pics of emergency brake cable to crossmember  (Read 2931 times)

Offline mickey

Any pics of emergency brake cable to crossmember
« on: January 26, 2007 - 10:58:58 AM »
Hi, anybody got any pic's of emergency brake cable  hook up's to the crossmember, for my 73 challenger :clueless:. thxs

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Re: Any pics of emergency brake cable to crossmember
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007 - 12:08:32 PM »
In the process of this myself, just got in the last two cables, front cable came without retainers, found the pedal assembly one in rough shape, hoping the cross member one is still on the car, will crawl under tomorrow to have a look, they are some type of round insert that goes in the hole then you just push in the new cable, if you need more pics I can shoot some tomorrow(if it's warm enough! ) Brrrrrrrrr .
this is out of a resto guide, hope it helps! Rich.

Offline mickey

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007 - 02:51:24 PM »
Hi. great diagram rusty cuda thanks so much. That support hook was the bugger  giving me trouble,does that go in the tranny cross member hole? mine don't have that tab as shown in diagram. looks like the Adjusting Hook  is in the far hole of cross member and the other to the front cable assembly.

Another question, can the grommet on the front cable assembly be purchased anywere?      cheers

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007 - 05:45:54 PM »
Ok, tell what I'm sure of, the adj. hook is on the opposite side from the pedal assembly, I'll check on the short hook tomorrow, looks to be in the center & I recall a hole in the bottom of the trans mount, but not positive,the grommet they gave me (with the front cable) is wrong it's just a piece of round rubber insulation not sure if that is to stuff into the rail on the back side to keep moisture out?,have not seen the "grommet" for sale anywhere,  but really haven't hunted yet, I'll shoot some pics of the new stuff tomorrow, I have to dig around & see if I can find the orig grommet, thats MIA at this point. maybe someone who's done this a few times will chime in. Rich.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007 - 05:48:19 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline mickey

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007 - 12:35:39 PM »
I thought the support hook went into the tranny cross member, there is a hole their but it just doesn't look right for some reason, I 'll get a pic off the oringinal grommet, the thick rubber is on the outside of the firewall, it has for clips that clip to the inside not much of a seal, I will post a pic. cheers

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007 - 02:50:56 PM »
K, a lotta ifs here, I got it all in, but not sure if it's all right, start out with the grommet, the middle piece I assume is my old grommet(looked at the other car & it is snapped in from the inside) clips down big rubber in, now thats not to say it's not in wrong on the other car?
the small piece is the retainer I got out of my old ebrake assembly & that fat rubber(which I didn't even use does not fit anywhere?) that came with the new front cable. :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007 - 02:52:39 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007 - 02:54:53 PM »
This is how I put in the center hook, tried to check the other car again, but as usual another piece that has dissapeared over the years, I used the bottom hole in the trans cross member, I too do not have the bracket they show in the diagram :clueless:
tough place to get a good pic of, but the part that hooks the cable barley clears my crossover pipe.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007 - 02:56:33 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007 - 03:01:06 PM »
the adjusting hook is the only thing I'm pretty sure off, at least the other car has that, it goes in the oblong hole above the fuel lines, not sure if I have the cable bracket upside down or not, but that should not(I hope) be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007 - 03:17:39 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007 - 03:03:29 PM »
I question this rubber sleve, again doesn't look right anywhere, should it be slid down & sleve the cable through the lower hole?

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007 - 03:11:45 PM »
I feel pretty stupid, for what should be a simple task nothing seems to go as it should, the last issue I have is the retainer for the front cable in the crossmember was not there, I may just try & put something like a brake line clip on it , the E-brake does work & the cable stayed put, but I would imagine the retainer was there for a reason.
I think I should have made the help post , all this & not even sure If I helped you with the Hook!  :crazy: Rich.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007 - 03:18:58 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline mickey

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007 - 04:00:11 PM »
Yes the pics help out a great deal your car look awesome to,  my cars been apart for so long  now and my long term memorys not like it once was, these pic's refreshen's the old memory thxs for the help. here's a pic of the grommet. you'll see the 3 clips that go from the outside in.

Offline mickey

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007 - 04:06:00 PM »
I believe the clips are from the inside out,reverse of what i said in previous post.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007 - 05:44:24 PM »
Ok, then maybe the other car is correct, i didn't see any rubber hose over your cable(don't remember one on mine either) any Ideas what I should do with that? Rich.

Offline mickey

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007 - 09:43:00 AM »
No rubber hose on mine either, i would guess the rubber would go in the bottom entry hole  as a antiwear protector.
I have to order the front emg assemly cable for mine, can't find the grommet anywhere as of yet, i checked the site Inline Tube's they have what appears to be the correct cable the barrel end that uses a retainer for the eng brake and the end that goes through the cross member i think had 4 pronges (no retainer correct), were did you buy your cable?

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007 - 11:07:57 AM »
Inline was expensive, 65 for reg steel if I remember, year one was 23 bucks, more in line with reg prices, I got my rears & intermediate at NAPA, rear cables listed at 41 & change, got em for 21 & change, the intermidiate took a while to get but was  listed at 23 got it for 12.
rear napa # was 92533 & intermidiate was 93413, see no need to go crazy with stainless, old were 30+ & still were ok. inline looks nice, but way pricy, napa could not locate a front, part # at year one is EB4 cept for that rubber gromet thingy they give ya, looks fine! Rich.
I think I did ok, complete brake parts, inc rotors (w/ inner & outer bearings) drums, calipers, wheel cylinders pads & shoes all hardware new was 409 bucks. another parts store was 460 with out the e-brake cables.
Lines & hoses I got last year at year one, made over a 1K order to get the 20% off which helped to make that stuff a litte more reasonable & no gouging on shipping!
On my old cable I thought there was some kind of retainer on the front cable at the crossmember. I think I cut it out cause it kept spinning, didn't know you jusrt bang it out! :clueless:  Rich.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007 - 11:10:21 AM by RUSTY Cuda »