Author Topic: Any pics of emergency brake cable to crossmember  (Read 2930 times)

Offline mickey

Re: Any pics of emergency brake cable to crossmember
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007 - 03:45:42 PM »
 Checked year one out better price for sure, they also have the gromet, it was an older book the pic didn't show the 3 pronges like my old one,will call them this week.
  Emergency cables are all in place looks more correct now, just have to order the front assembly.
I was under the car today when i figured out what that fat rubber thingy is for in above pic you posted, funny you didn't get two or you can cut it in half, i believe they go on your intermediate cables at the rear so the cable will not rub into the rear floor pans.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007 - 05:37:47 PM »
Hmmm, why would it come with the front ???
Was wondering about that ,they seem to hug the floor pans all the way up on mine, looked at my 74 also, just riding the floor pans, gonna play havoc on my new paint, maybe some home made sleeves are in order! Rich.

Offline mickey

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007 - 05:46:45 PM »
When you order the front cable assembly it does come with that foam grommet from YearOne, most likely to be used in place of the orginal grommet. Although that foam peice looks like it would protect the rear floor pan nicely.

In yearone book ,the measurements of the front emg cable is 53 1/2" overal length, spiral case length 37"... my cable is 52" overal length case 36 1/4"  stretch and all.. year1 cable would make this very close to the end of my adjusting hook, the overall lenght is more important to consider. I'am still using my original intermediate and rear cables. this could lock up my rear cable's a tad.

So i call InlineTubes, overlength 55" case 35 1/4"  their cable with the overall length would be more realistic with adjusting hook and rear cables locking up a tad problem.

GEE  :violin: I didn't think this was going to be such a big issue, so it all boils down to the $$dollars shipping and such to find out if year1  cable will fit properly.
If i had to i could add an inch to my adjusting hook if in a pinch.Or pay the big bucks to Inline tube.

I will  post  on how i faired out when i decide on  which cable to order an when i try cable on the car.

Offline mickey

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007 - 06:13:13 PM »
 :bananasmi I think i talked myself into ordering from year one , i reread my post their cable is longer then mine so it should all work out fine. Gotta love this site lol

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007 - 06:46:55 PM »
When I put mine in it was a stretch to get the center hook on, with the adjusting nut all the way at the end I slid a long skinny screwdriver through the hook & into the hole & then kinda pryed it in(like putting on a brake spring) once on I tightened the adj. nut about 1 1/2" to take out any slack, brake engaged from the pedal fine & the wheel turned freely when released.
Let me know what grommet comes with yours & what you end up doing with the rubber thing? Rich.

Offline mickey

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007 - 08:27:30 AM »
Finally recieved front emg cable,threw away fat thingy,that rubber hose covering i put that in bottom hole area.
I also order the rubber grommet which was almost the same price as the cable.The thicker part of the grommet is on the outside of firewall , the 3 clips inside.
When the old cable & grommet was removed it was opposite on yours as well as mine i think.
The way i put the grommet looked, and was more realistic from keeping the elments out.
Also, there is a clip (just like a gas clip thats on ur car)  a few inchs just before your front cable enters the crossmember, with this clip a retainer or a hose clamp  on the end to hold it in place is not neeeded.
If my explanations is not clear rusty let me know and i'll post a few pics.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007 - 05:30:39 PM »
Yea, the only clip I think I'm missing is at the exit of front cable thruogh rear of cross member, but I don't think it's needed, will watch that piece when i get someone to apply break & see if it backs out a little, sems to be in there good? Rich.