Author Topic: Aluminum head question  (Read 1567 times)

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
Aluminum head question
« on: January 26, 2007 - 05:38:37 PM »
I was thinking about ordering a set of Edelbrock RPM heads for my Cuda. But recently I read an article that said putting aluminum heads on a low compression engine will actually cost you HP due to lower combustion chamber temp. Because aluminum disipates heat a lot faster that iron. I don't know for sure what compression my 451 has, but I don't think it's very high. I usually run 92 octane gas in it, but a couple times I did run 87 in it with no detonation. So, would I be better off just putting the money into the iron heads I have?  :feedback:
Dave

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Aluminum head question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007 - 05:49:54 PM »
If it was my engine, I would either stick with the iron heads, OR, raise the compression and take advantage of the aluminum ones.  Not sure of your budget and if raising the compretion (I know it's spelled wrong, but I already hit the "post reply" button when I realized it)  lol,  is an alternative.  If it is within your budget and time constraints, go with the higher compression and aluminum heads...  Just my 0.02.......     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007 - 06:12:09 PM »
If it was my engine, I would either stick with the iron heads, OR, raise the compression and take advantage of the aluminum ones.  Not sure of your budget and if raising the compretion (I know it's spelled wrong, but I already hit the "post reply" button when I realized it)  lol,  is an alternative.  If it is within your budget and time constraints, go with the higher compression and aluminum heads...  Just my 0.02.......     :cooldancing:   

How high should I go with it? This is a street driven car and I want it to run on 92 octane.
Dave

sleepychallenger

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007 - 06:25:22 PM »
clinging for answers

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007 - 06:31:45 PM »
How high should I go with it? This is a street driven car and I want it to run on 92 octane.

That's the kicker. I have 10:1 with the old iron heads. With 93 octane, I am border line. I have to watch where I put the timing, or I get pinging under heavy acceleration. You could also go crazy with compression and use an octane booster. It depends on how much you drive it. Here is something Oldschool turned me on to that works a little magic.  :naughty:

http://www.kemcooil.com/products.php?cId=4

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007 - 11:27:27 PM »
What camshaft are you running in the current engine?   This could tell us a whole lot about the amount of compression you would be able to run on pump gas.
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007 - 12:00:24 AM »
What camshaft are you running in the current engine?   This could tell us a whole lot about the amount of compression you would be able to run on pump gas.
:iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007 - 01:13:48 AM »
generally again depending on cam 9.8-10.2 will run on pump gas with Iron heads & with alum & good quench 1 point higher

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007 - 07:37:42 AM »
Comp Cams 284/.507
Dave

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007 - 09:43:21 AM »
I would definately get the aluminum heads.  I assume you are running an open chamber head now?  Maybe a 906 or something.  If you are, you could get the 88 or 84 cc eddies and if compression is a concern, shave a couple thousandths off to get that combustion chamber down to size.  If you go with the Indy EZ, I think they come standard with 78 or 74 cc combustion chambers.  Remember, both heads are good, but the EZ's have more potential in them than the Eddies....for future builds. 

It sure would be nice to know how far (if at all) the piston is down in the hole of that motor.  If it's a 451, somebody had to build it, and it would be kinda weird if it wasn't zero decked.... :screwy:

EDIT: now that I have re-read your post about 3 times, you're going to pull the heads off anyways, right?  Might as well do a little measuring to see what's going on in that motor while you've got them off....and after that, you can make a better informed decision.  If it were mine, I'd buy the aluminum heads, but not everyone out there is a horsepower junkie like I am... :burnout:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007 - 09:46:19 AM by Tubbed440 »
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007 - 10:26:10 AM »
  If it were mine, I'd buy the aluminum heads, but not everyone out there is a horsepower junkie like I am... :burnout:

I'm with ya there...    :cheers:    :burnout:   :burnout:   :ylsuper:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007 - 12:40:59 PM »
I would definately get the aluminum heads.  I assume you are running an open chamber head now?  Maybe a 906 or something.  If you are, you could get the 88 or 84 cc eddies and if compression is a concern, shave a couple thousandths off to get that combustion chamber down to size.  If you go with the Indy EZ, I think they come standard with 78 or 74 cc combustion chambers.  Remember, both heads are good, but the EZ's have more potential in them than the Eddies....for future builds. 

It sure would be nice to know how far (if at all) the piston is down in the hole of that motor.  If it's a 451, somebody had to build it, and it would be kinda weird if it wasn't zero decked.... :screwy:

EDIT: now that I have re-read your post about 3 times, you're going to pull the heads off anyways, right?  Might as well do a little measuring to see what's going on in that motor while you've got them off....and after that, you can make a better informed decision.  If it were mine, I'd buy the aluminum heads, but not everyone out there is a horsepower junkie like I am... :burnout:
I've concidered shaving the heads to get the compression up, but have heard a lot of negative comments about doing this in the past. Will everything still line up correctly if I shave off a couple thousanths? If I go with the EZs, would the 74cc chambers raise my compression enough that I wouldn't have to shave them?
You guys are probably getting tired of this subject already, but I really do appreciate your advice.
Dave

Offline v8440

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007 - 04:44:39 PM »
The thing about milling the heads for compression is you can get compression that way, but if the pistons are 100 thousandths down in the bore you won't have any quench.  Compression without quench is a great way to get detonation.  Like others are saying, pull the heads and see what you have.  Make a decision from that.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007 - 04:46:45 PM »
this is a big part of why I prefer the EZ heads , the smaller chamber will compensate by increasing compression by approx the correct amount to make up the heat loss to the alum heads . IF you shave the eddy heads more than .010you will have to shave either the intake surface or the intake to fit the heads  . I do recommend using the Cometic MLS gaskets with an alum head install or you will be replacing head gaskets approx yearly as the different rates of expansion between alum & iron will tear the fiber composition gaskets

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline matt63

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007 - 07:18:40 PM »
this is a big part of why I prefer the EZ heads , the smaller chamber will compensate by increasing compression by approx the correct amount to make up the heat loss to the alum heads . IF you shave the eddy heads more than .010you will have to shave either the intake surface or the intake to fit the heads  . I do recommend using the Cometic MLS gaskets with an alum head install or you will be replacing head gaskets approx yearly as the different rates of expansion between alum & iron will tear the fiber composition gaskets
Just a note with the MLS gaskets - the surface finish of the heads and block have to be much smoother than with a std gasket which means decking the block and perhaps the heads.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD