Author Topic: Model Car Building  (Read 7992 times)

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Re: Model Car Building
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2007 - 06:46:50 PM »
OK, I put the gloss coat on with out the stripe as advised.  All I can say is WOW!!!  That paint job looks INSANE!!!  Im going to let the car sit till Saturday and then Im going to finish the detail painting and the stripe and then finish any other details so with any luck and not unforseen trips to the bar I should finish this car by Sunday night!!!  Im kinda excited after all these years!

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007 - 10:46:34 AM »
Maybe this can go under "Member Restoration Projects"!

Take lots of pics!  :picture:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2007 - 11:18:40 AM »
LOL!!!  I will try to get out tonight to Wal-Mart and buy up the rest of the wire I need to complete the project.  It should look pretty good I think (Baring any screw ups on the detail LOL!!!) I will to borrow a Digital Cam so I can get good pics of the finished product!

Cuda Guy

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2007 - 11:31:01 AM »
Walmart has some interesting stuff lately for models. 

I was at the one in Natick, MA yesterday and they have these $10 circle track cars that can be scavenged for tires, rims, shorty headers with dumps, and engines.  I found a 1/24 scale Pinto (you have to build it) diecast metal kit for $1 there on clearance and will be combining it (one day  :blah: ) with an AMT '35 Chevy Sedan (tires, rims, engine, exhaust) to make a Franken Pinto!!!!!  :stirpot:

They also had a '70 Challenger R/T convertible amoung other stuff.  Thier prices are cheap enough that you can just buy kits for parts.  Unfortunately, the '67 GTX 2-n-1 kit didn't have the Keystone Klassic tims I was told it was supposed to have but had Cragar S/S rims.  :banghead:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2007 - 06:35:16 PM »
I dont think I have ever came across a set of keystones in all my time building?  I have came across countless sets of crager mags and A/R 5 star type rims.  I always tend to stay with the stock type builds as that is more my style.  I would love how ever to get some nascar kits to scavange for headers/carbs and things of that nature to beef them up with out compromising the stock look. 

Cuda Guy

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007 - 11:04:30 AM »
If you get a NASCAR kit and want to be semi stock you can kit bash it with a Challenger T/A kit and make the Sam Posey T/A car.  I sort of did that when Walmart had the NASCAR kits for like $7 and had a junk '71 Road Runner and I made a pseudo Richard Petty car out of it.  Just used the RR body, nip, tuck....

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007 - 11:41:41 AM »
That is a pretty cool idea as that TA kit is pretty common now a days.  I might concider that .

Cuda Guy

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007 - 10:35:27 PM »
Not done but serious progress made.  Once I get the engine bay detailed I will put it togeather and start to wire it up.

Cuda Guy

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2007 - 09:14:22 AM »
I just finished my Super Bee.  I put some pictures for your inspiration!   I think it's the same kit that bentpshrods did on the previous page.  I swapped the wheels and tires from another kit because I wanted to make this model look like a real Super Bee of a guy that sold me my Magnum 500s for my Challenger.  He sold his Super Bee to a guy in Florida so I made this to give to him.  His car was a 440 Six Pack, column shift car.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2007 - 10:26:31 AM »
The challange has been laid...  I will finish my Superbee as soon as I come out of the field in a week! 

Cuda Guy

PS Looks great!!!

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007 - 10:53:42 AM »
I just finished my Super Bee.  I put some pictures for your inspiration!   I think it's the same kit that bentpshrods did on the previous page.  I swapped the wheels and tires from another kit because I wanted to make this model look like a real Super Bee of a guy that sold me my Magnum 500s for my Challenger.  He sold his Super Bee to a guy in Florida so I made this to give to him.  His car was a 440 Six Pack, column shift car.

SWEEEEEET!!!

'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2007 - 03:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys! 

It was actually you, Cuda Guy, that inspired me to get off my butt and do this model!  :thumbsup: I had it lying around for a bit.   Stay safe in the field!

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2007 - 05:31:52 PM »
Ok here is where I stand, I have to run the heater hoses, and run brake and fuel lines and I can begin puting this thing togeather!  Looking foward to finishing this car.  I have been working on this car on and off for a few years!

Cuda Guy

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2007 - 05:58:57 PM »
If you get a NASCAR kit and want to be semi stock you can kit bash it with a Challenger T/A kit and make the Sam Posey T/A car.   
Around 10 years ago I got the model car bug again and one project that had been in the back of my mind ever since the Monogram Challenger T/A kit first came out in '84 or '85 was a Posey T/A.  I worked on this project over an 8 or 9 month period and I bet I have over 200 hours invested.  Fortunately I am a packrat, I saved a lot of my spare model car parts back in the 70's when I built alot of models as a kid.  The Minilite wheels came from the spare parts box, I think they where common in many mid 70's MPC kits.  I kept checking out tires until I found some that looked about "right" and used dry transfer Goodyear decals on them.  I had to use model putty and sheet plastic to flare the wheelwheels for the tires and to customize the hoodscoop so it looked correct. I also made the front spoiler out of sheet styrene.  A guy called Fred Cady designs makes a decal sheet with #77 and #76 markings.  The longitudinal stripe on his sheet looked too big so I used the stripe from the AMT Challenger convertible kit. The interior took alot of customization too, with a rollbar made of styrene rods, racing seat from the parts box, and I cut out the back seat and used sheet stryrene to get a more correct looking rear portion of the race car interior. I can't imagine ever putting this much work into a model again!  :faint:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2007 - 06:39:43 PM »
I mocked up a 1:18 Challenger to look like my own. It is pretty close but it does have 426 hemi and R/T badges on it. I will stay like that unless I can find a place to make them.

Lunch