Model Car Building

Author Topic: Model Car Building  (Read 7994 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Model Car Building
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2007 - 06:55:36 PM »
Lunchbox,

Have you ever tried casting insignia with bare metal foil and CA glue? If you can find a 1:18 Challenger that has the emblems you could cast them yourself.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007 - 07:05:37 PM »
Lunch..........I love your model..........Great  job.   :cooldancing:
Dave or David

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2007 - 07:56:12 PM »
Looks like I need to finish up my Plymouth GTX project with a Viper GTS motor in it.  I had to build a custom motor mount, cut the driveshaft, modify the radiator, and build my own, custom exhaust.

Got cloth carpet in it, too.  I'll have to get back to work on it and get it finished.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2007 - 07:59:59 PM »
Lunchbox,

Have you ever tried casting insignia with bare metal foil and CA glue? If you can find a 1:18 Challenger that has the emblems you could cast them yourself.

The emblems on the car now are some sort paint stamp I would say. From your suggestion I assume you make a mold of the emblem then fill it with CA glue? What is CA glue?

Lunch..........I love your model..........Great  job.   :cooldancing:

Thanks  :2thumbs:

The car was originally yellow with a white top and interior. I painted the top (three times, dang paint) and the interior. I then applied the BB strip with some vinyl decal material. Lastly I took the rims off another Challenger and put them on this. I like it cuase its big and metal  :icon16:

Lunch

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2007 - 08:23:49 PM »
The emblems on the car now are some sort paint stamp I would say. From your suggestion I assume you make a mold of the emblem then fill it with CA glue? What is CA glue?

CA = cyanoacrylate, i.e. crazy glue.  Take a mold impression iwth Bare Metal foil, very carefully lift it with something like an x-acto so it doesn't distort, then fill it with CA. Sand and trim the back as necesary, add paint, and you've got a nicely chromed emblem.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2007 - 09:17:41 PM »
Got cloth carpet in it, too. 

I considered doing that too, but I think I’m just going to finish up, unless I can come accross that perfect piece of material. 
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2007 - 03:23:01 AM »
Great job on the models guys!  :2thumbs:

Lotsa talent out thier!   :grinyes:

I don't know why they don't just make a Sam Posey T/A model.  I wonder if they don't think it's popular enough?  :clueless:

I was a little disappointed when I found out that ERTL was going to make a '72 Challenger 1/18 diecast but they backed out.  I'll have to diddle around thinking about making one.....
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2007 - 05:20:19 AM »
I considered doing that too, but I think I’m just going to finish up, unless I can come accross that perfect piece of material. 

Any half-decent modeling shop will have shredded material (I can't remember what it's actually called.)  You apply it just like you did glitter in kindergarden - put down a thin layer of regular ol' Elmers glue, and sprinkle the fabric shavings over it, press down lightly to help push the strands into the glue, and leave it.  When it dries, just shake/blow off the extra fibers, and voila - carpet.  You can also make more applications if you need - I slightly diluted the Elmers and used a brush to apply it in thin spots.  I got the material from Hobby Town USA - they had multiple colors.
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2007 - 05:50:45 AM »
All those models look great. Just thought I'd share these pics. A good friend created this for me out of several models seeing as nobody makes an actual Cuda vert.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2007 - 07:14:18 AM »
Any half-decent modeling shop will have shredded material (I can't remember what it's actually called.)  You apply it just like you did glitter in kindergarden - put down a thin layer of regular ol' Elmers glue, and sprinkle the fabric shavings over it, press down lightly to help push the strands into the glue, and leave it.  When it dries, just shake/blow off the extra fibers, and voila - carpet. 

That stuff is called flocking. I've used a spray adhesive after masking off the rest of the interior and it's worked very well.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2007 - 09:19:47 AM »
All those models look great. Just thought I'd share these pics. A good friend created this for me out of several models seeing as nobody makes an actual Cuda vert.
There is a 1:24 Nash Bridges cuda convertible kit.  Its a '71 and has a shaker hood though.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2007 - 09:23:30 AM »

Very cool!  Looks great!!!

I wonder if there are any '70 convertibles on Ebay?  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2007 - 06:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip JH27N0B, I'll have to track one down, and thanks for the kudos Super Blue but all the credit goes to my buddy. As for a '70 vert on ebay, I doubt it. Years ago I found someone selling an AAR model conversion kit. It came with an epoxy '70 grille, and plastic chin spoilers, AAR hood, '70 tailight panel and rear spoiler. Haven't seen 'em since.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2007 - 05:54:13 AM »
Hi guys
Jaybee I have a 70 vert that I have been working on,and the red one is the 71 nash bridges model.Lots of dust,been sitting awhile.I was working on making a vert top for the 70 also.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2007 - 12:19:27 PM »
Clown, nice cars. Looks like we both own a 1 of 2  :lol: at least until some others come out of the wood work. Nice ambition on the folding top too.
John

2014 Toyota Avalon