Author Topic: Goodmark R/T hood  (Read 5340 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Goodmark R/T hood
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007 - 04:41:36 PM »
whoa, this thread took a detour....... Now that I think about it I dont know that I would sit on the goodmark hood and it might well turn out to be alot thinner than I think. I did not spend much time with it, mostly just taking it out to inspect it and then putting it back in the box, I did not even think to take pictures of it  :screwy: It will be a couple of months still until it is installed and I can see how it fits. We get pretty good hail around here and I hope I never find out how it will stand up in a hailstorm  :eek4:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:58:31 PM »
  Now you did it. You mentioned the "H" word ;) The replacement metal for my car although not Goodmark (Sherman's) nor involving my hood is thinner than original - at least where the quarter skins are concerned.

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2007 - 09:24:22 PM »
How does Goodmark ship the hoods and how do they protect those fragile back corners from getting bent?

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2007 - 09:34:31 PM »
How does Goodmark ship the hoods and how do they protect those fragile back corners from getting bent?

I would say something, but my dad accepted the hood when it arrived, so i do not have any personal experience in that.  :poopoke:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2007 - 09:37:34 PM »
I'll say this, I heard so much good about the goodmark quarters and I'm not impressed.  If I could do it over I would have went with the patch style.  They are pretty straight, but still have creases from the stamping.  They are thinner than original.  Then you use other repop parts like extensions/wheelhouses and they dont come close to matching.  Yes, best out there, but far from perfect.  If I would have read info from people who used the panels, like someone thats an experience body man, I may have went a different route.  So my point is, second hand knowledge is no better than a guess.  
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007 - 10:06:08 PM »

If possible I'd look for a solid original.  :2thumbs: Can't beat originals, though, even some of the fitment and interior pieces on factory cars were crap themselves, especially the tacky interior.  :-\
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007 - 11:24:06 PM »
Let me suggest this:  First, let's lock this thread so that the idiocy stops. Second. transamcuda, start your own board where you can set the rules for who and what gets posted and you can treat people however you want.  Best of luck to you.

Mike

You made the suggestion, now go start your own board and you can let the idocy run rampant.  Your trying to lock threads at a board that you don't run... :villagers:  I'm sure hes really jealous, your old man had a ta in the 70s, he has an aar now :roflsmiley:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline 73plymouth

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007 - 01:46:29 PM »
 I bought one about 4 years ago, never tried fitting it until this past summer & was a bit disapointed.
Out of the box the hood looked great, but when fit on the car there was an area on the drivers edge that sat below the top of the fender. I'd guess it was about 3/8" low over a 2' length. I wish I'd fit it earlier so I could have exchanged it but waited far too long.
 I'll also say that comparing it to the flat hood on the car now, it does feel thinner but I've never measured it for thickness. One last thing is that there are little tabs for the adjustable front corner bumpers sit against and they are in the wrong spot for my 70 fenders. I looked at a 73 fender and it's good for that year so there was a change somewhere along the years in the oem fenders.
Anyways, just my 2 cents worth :poopoke:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007 - 01:51:23 PM by MangoR/T »

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007 - 02:00:27 PM »
Thats the kind of info relavent to the thread :cheers: I heard the same thing first hand also. 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Transamcuda.com

• Numbers cruncher and expert at nothing.
    • Transamcuda.com
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007 - 11:11:55 PM »
But to be fair though. Even factory original pieces did not fit right either. Any item that was made by an outside sourse or a part such as a hood with unique cuts or dye stampings had issues from new. While Goodmark is making a good effort to put forth a good product there will always be room for improvement and people will always find something thats not right. I helped install a pair of their challenger 1/4's on a car and it took minimal tweaking to get to fit. I have seen the hoods and watched someone install one but didnt have any hands on with it.  Even NOS body panels have the same problems. I had an NOS fender I was going to put on my AAR but there were fitting issues at the bottom of the heel so I didnt feel comfortable putting it on my car and put a nice rust free used one on. Less hassels and money. I didnt have to pay someone more money to try and make it fit right.  With most of Goodmarks stuff I have personally had more good experiences than bad.  When it comes to body panels nothing is 100% correct.
Dont forget to register your AAR at the AAR Registry only at www.transamcuda.com 1981 AAR's on file. Also info on 70 thru 74 E-Bodies. Ask me about yours!!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2007 - 02:09:13 PM »

Mine came in a cardboard box with foam at each corner and bubble wrap glued on the bulge in the middle of the hood. It was strapped to a sort of half pallet. The box and foam corners seem well thought out and when I paint my flat hood along with the R/T hood I will store the flat hood in that box.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*