Author Topic: How will Vista affect it here  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
How will Vista affect it here
« on: January 28, 2007 - 11:41:21 PM »
Vista comes out Tueday. The new software Bill Gates has spent 6 billion developing from his Microsoft . It says you can visually search hundreds of pages rapidly on your computer when you look for a file let's say. I actually know little about it but I am curious about all the hub bub about it. so I was wondering will it be useful on forum websites say when you want to hunt through searches of archived threads? Or pics? Will there be changes made to be more in tune to Vista and what it offers? I hear it's pretty awesome and I did get to see a pirate copy of the visuals and it was like HDTV on the screen.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: How will Vista affect it here
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007 - 11:58:59 PM »

Saw it on the news, sounds pretty good. I'd wait a little while for them to fix up any bugs or errors.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007 - 12:03:48 AM »
My brother used the Beta version a few months ago (through some kind of membership his bosses friend had) and he said that even running things like minesweeper takes up huge amounts of the CPUs processing power (I cant remember what machine they were running it on, but it was custom built for use as a demo model, and had a particularly good CPU and alot of RAM).

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007 - 08:36:25 AM »

Saw it on the news, sounds pretty good. I'd wait a little while for them to fix up any bugs or errors.

:cheers:

:iagree: And also wait to see if any hackers screw around with it!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007 - 09:31:57 AM »
Being in the business,  my take is that it will be a huge ram hog,  it will have tons of security issues ( SP1 is already out and it hasn't even been released ) I won't run it for at least 2 years, if at all.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007 - 09:51:51 PM »
Being in the business,  my take is that it will be a huge ram hog,  it will have tons of security issues ( SP1 is already out and it hasn't even been released ) I won't run it for at least 2 years, if at all.

P.G.

YOU? Work in IT?  :smilielol: Keith and computers........ :lol:

:icon16:

Offline kgbodyshop

• Mopar or no car
    • kgbodyshop
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007 - 10:04:35 PM »
From what I understand you need a cpu with duel processors, But it works best with 4 to 8 processors ,so my junk won't even run it, I only have 1 processor  :horse: :faint:
1970 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi auto
1970 Challenger R/T 383 4-speed
1970 Road Runner 383 6 pak auto
1970 Super Bee 383 4-speed air grabber
1970 Cuda 383 4 Speed
1981 D150 440 auto/OD
www.kgbodyshop.com

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007 - 03:32:27 AM »
I'm SICK of Microsoft.... I've already switched to Linux and I'm not going back.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:56:57 AM »
Vista !!!!  I'm still running 98SE, my moto is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Besides the hackers etc don't bother to write programs for 98 any more. You can be sure that the hackers got hold of a Beta copy and have already got some nice little suprises waiting to unleash on the people who install Vista.
Remember it was a 15yo kid in England that hacked Microsoft not once but twice and they couldn't find him, took another hacker to do the job.
Anyway I suppose that is progress ????????? :stirpot:
Dave

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007 - 06:08:46 AM »
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash........ Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007 - 06:11:17 AM »
Oh, and to NZ,

Yes Keith works in IT, and is pretty danm good at it.   :cheers:

Life is good,

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007 - 07:04:07 AM »
Oh, and to NZ,

Yes Keith works in IT, and is pretty danm good at it.   :cheers:

Life is good,

P.G.

All good brother, all good.  :cheers: Just taking the micky outta of ya, as-I/we-do.  :icon16:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007 - 07:15:41 AM »
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash........ Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

P.G.

:smilielol:  :roflsmiley:  Is this for real?!?!?!   I laughed my butt off!

Put his in the jokes section!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007 - 07:39:33 AM »
I always get a good chuckle when i see those two quotes. Here's a good article from Computerworld, a bit long winded but will explain things in a not too hazy way :faint:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9007623

Being in IT, when a Service Pack is being bandied about before the OS is released is akin to GM issuing a recall/repair on the new Camaro before it even hits dealer showrooms. :sly: Personally i'm satisfied so far with XP/SP2 for my needs :)

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007 - 07:46:19 AM »
Rusty,

I'm running 2000 at home,  XP at work.  We get hackers at work, nothing at home.  As soon as Vista is the biggest Op Sys, I'll move to XP.  The hackers will all be working on Vista.
 :roflsmiley:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica