new barn find, would like some suggestions

Author Topic: new barn find, would like some suggestions  (Read 14110 times)

Offline barnfindcuda

new barn find, would like some suggestions
« on: January 30, 2007 - 05:26:05 PM »
 :feedback:  i am walking out the door in about 10 minutes to finish up a deal on a 1973 cuda 340 black/black car, engine is a 360 rebuilt about 3000 miles ago ,trans is incorrect and it needs total restoration but is extremly solid, cam from colorado about 15 years ago and was in storage for the last 3 years, the guy lost his job and stopped paying storage, i found it sitting next to the barn about 8 months ago, when i inquired about it i was told he could not reach the owner, after much work and the possibility of legally getting a title and ownership, the owner was located, needs the money, i am paying storage fees and money to the owner which totals about $1500.00 , i know! i feel its a great deal, anyhow, the situation is, my heart says restore it as close to original as possible, has tags and build sheet, but i feel since its not original maybe hot rod it, 440(which i have) sixpack(which i have)
looking for opinions! what would you do?  i know your gonna say , do what ya want,i am just looking for suggestions at this point!i am gonna try to load a pic, great site people!!!! :2thumbs:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: new barn find, would like some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:28:42 PM »
Sounds verrrrrryyyy intawesting...  we'll get a better idea once we see pics but it sounds promising so far.  :grinyes:

What's incorrect about the tranny?

If you already have all those fun parts you might as well do something with them!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:33:52 PM »
I'd love to see pics, but giving it's a later year Cuda, I don't think the numbers matching game means much. So, yes, I say do what you want to it... as lame as that sounds. The truth is, you will only be happy when the car is what you want.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:36:40 PM »
Sounds like a great deal,now we need some pic's.My thought is its your car and you should build it any way you want,440-6 sounds great to me.The Clown

Offline barnfindcuda

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:37:43 PM »
tried to upload pics but it says file to big, any suggestions????

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:38:28 PM »
It may never be matching numbers but a `73 black on black 340 `cuda is a nice car to restore.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline barnfindcuda

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007 - 05:46:08 PM »
i kinda agree with torred, its also an a/c car, well! i am off to close this deal, i'll check in later, thanks guys!!!

Offline barnfindcuda

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007 - 07:43:37 PM »
finished up the deal, because of the circumstances , the guy was a little reluctant to part with it. but didnt really have alot of choice due to him owing back storage fees. i was in the right place at the right time. now i have to get it home and figure out how i am going to proceed! well, cant wait to get started, when i figure out how shrink the pics , i'll post them

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 - 08:16:45 PM »
Man that is great news!  I wish that would happen to me LOL!!!  Instead I get to deal with Hotshot Cops.  I would love to see pics as well.  Please keep us updated!
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007 - 08:23:21 PM »
Hey Barnfind.... I see u are in WI.. I to am.. contact me if u need any parts.. mopar_maniac68 at yahoo.com

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007 - 08:27:15 PM »
  Niiiiice barnfindcuda, barnfindcuda :cheers:

How about as ordered when new inside and out - cosmetically. For the wheels i'm in a Chrome Magnum 500 mood these days. 440-6 under the hood again looking cosmetically as ordered in 1970 but with a serpentine belt up front and a brand new Harms 956 radiator. Polygraphite suspension pieces, US CarTool sub-frame connectors and torque boxes and a Dana out back. tti 2 1/2" x-pipe system bolted to factory manifolds that have been extrude honed. She'd be bad and indestructible :burnout: :burnout:

Russ :2cents:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007 - 08:40:33 PM »
I'd love to see pics, but giving it's a later year Cuda, I don't think the numbers matching game means much.

Mike
:iagree: I'd go with the 440-6, especially if you already have the parts.
Dave

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007 - 08:49:56 PM »
finished up the deal, because of the circumstances , the guy was a little reluctant to part with it. but didnt really have alot of choice due to him owing back storage fees. i was in the right place at the right time. now i have to get it home and figure out how i am going to proceed! well, cant wait to get started, when i figure out how shrink the pics , i'll post them

Easiest way to shrink pics is open you picture in microsoft Paint (start-programs-accessories-Paint) go to image then stretch/skew. In there put like 30% in horizontal and vertical (top 2 boxes). Then file-save pic as... save it as another filename.

or just email it to me crane_david@hotmail.com  and i'll post it.  :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007 - 08:52:59 PM »
I say if the original engine is already gone . . . go for it!   :grinyes:  :thumbsup:   :burnout:  This car must look alittle like my 73 original 340 black b!tch pictured below!  Gotta love it!  Hope it works out for ya!   :grinyes:  :grinyes:  :grinyes:

Send the pics to me and I'll post them for you . .  email in my profile.  :2thumbs:

Offline barnfindcuda

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007 - 09:29:09 PM »
looks alot like your car! thanks a bunch people, i still may go the small block route, i always wanted to build an A12 liftoff hood superbee!  i think i am gonna save it for that,  the 440 is a motorhome block w/11.2 to 1 forged pistons, floating pins, 509 hyd cam and was probably gonna use either edelbrock or indy heads, i feel its probably a horse a piece if i am going to use it for street, and my sixpack set up on top, should be alot of fun for a superbee!,next project! the cuda has a 360 with mild cam and stock heads, the guy said it was rebuilt about 3000 miles ago but hasnt run in 2 years, i dont take anyones word for it! so i'll buy a gasket kit and tear it down and find out exacly whats in it!, well i'll hook up with you people tomorrow, thanks everyone!  this is a great site and now i hve a reason to use it!