Author Topic: Resto rates and time estimate  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Sublime

• 70 Challenger R/T, Super Trak Pak, 4 speed
Resto rates and time estimate
« on: February 02, 2007 - 01:55:27 PM »
Was wondering what people are seeing for labor rates from the resto shops and also what is a good estimate of the total hours of work a shop puts into a car labor wise to totaly restore it. By this I mean, fix an average amount of rust, like new lower quarters, patch some floors etc.... If the car were to be a complete teardown, body repair, prime, sand, paint, re assemble, new interior, trim. How many hours, 1000?
"MoPar Spoken Here"

Offline kgbodyshop

• Mopar or no car
    • kgbodyshop
Re: Resto rates and time estimate
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007 - 02:55:38 PM »
At K & G BodyShop we charge $35.00 an hour + materials for restorations. A car with no rust done in a frame off (every nut - bolt - screw removed & repaired or replaced) averages around 1000 to 2000 hrs, a rust bucket 2000 to 3000 hrs. It just depends on how perfect you want your car. My own cars I like to race and drive so their far from perfect.   
1970 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi auto
1970 Challenger R/T 383 4-speed
1970 Road Runner 383 6 pak auto
1970 Super Bee 383 4-speed air grabber
1970 Cuda 383 4 Speed
1981 D150 440 auto/OD
www.kgbodyshop.com

Offline Sublime

• 70 Challenger R/T, Super Trak Pak, 4 speed
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007 - 06:25:20 PM »
Yeah, I guess 1000 hours is the number I have heard at a minimum to do a car.  And that doesn't take into account what you need to pay for new, used and repro parts. If I remember right I probably have about $1500 in my dash alone with wiring, gauges and padding... and that was about 5 years ago pricing.

BTW - $35/hr sounds cheap. I would guess more like $50.
"MoPar Spoken Here"

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007 - 06:55:51 PM »
Yeah, I guess 1000 hours is the number I have heard at a minimum to do a car.  And that doesn't take into account what you need to pay for new, used and repro parts. If I remember right I probably have about $1500 in my dash alone with wiring, gauges and padding... and that was about 5 years ago pricing.

BTW - $35/hr sounds cheap. I would guess more like $50.

Timely question.  I have been getting estimates to do the bodywork and paint for my Cuda.  In Phoenix, AZ I have been quoted labor rates of $62.50 to as high as $100 per hour, I'm my opinion these are ridiculus rates.  :villagers:  In all cases I told them I was looking for a nice driver quality paint job not show quality.  So on average I have been quoted $12k for body and paint and this is with me taking the car apart and having it stripped to bare metal.  By the way if anybody knows of a good body shop in Phoenix with more reasonable rates please PM me. 
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007 - 07:02:12 PM »
Timely question.  I have been getting estimates to do the bodywork and paint for my Cuda.  In Phoenix, AZ I have been quoted labor rates of $62.50 to as high as $100 per hour, I'm my opinion these are ridiculus rates.  :villagers:  In all cases I told them I was looking for a nice driver quality paint job not show quality.  So on average I have been quoted $12k for body and paint and this is with me taking the car apart and having it stripped to bare metal.  By the way if anybody knows of a good body shop in Phoenix with more reasonable rates please PM me. 

Dang Loco!    You would be better off shipping your car to my body guy and getting it done and shipped back.  Great work and cheaper for you also..........      :cheers:    :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007 - 07:17:25 PM »
Between 80 and 100 bucks an hour is pretty standard here in California plus materials. A guy I know who owns a shop up here just did a 70 hemi cuda restoration for a guy complete nut and bolt and charged him over 100k. But that included all the materials and a bunch of parts as I recall.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Srobinson4

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007 - 07:28:08 PM »
I am paying $75.00 plus parts for my car.  I wish I could have done it myself.

SRR

:banghead:

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007 - 07:53:34 PM »
Some stuff you can do yourself to save a little money.

Can you imagine paying someone $75 bucks and hour to scape undercoating off??

Lunch

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007 - 07:56:09 PM »

Dang Loco!    You would be better off shipping your car to my body guy and getting it done and shipped back.  Great work and cheaper for you also..........      :cheers:    :cooldancing:   

I've met Oldschool's guy and seen the BEAST.  He does good work! :2thumbs:  My friend in Savannah charges $50/hr plus materials.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007 - 08:56:08 PM »
I'm currently doing a car from CA and Im in PA.  The driver that delivered it said they get 90 an hour out his way in CA!  I never kept track, but I thought a more realistic number would be 500-1000 hours, from what Ive read and so on.  I must be too cheap cause I got 2 on the waiting list :biggrin: but from the same owner :cheers:  Only bad thing is, if you ship a car far away, can't go see how its going and how things look.  Hardest part for me is keeping the owner updated and what all I did for the hours work. 
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007 - 05:31:52 AM »
my mechanic is normally $50/hr; but charging me $40/hr & i assist on almost every hour - i don't keep up with the bill just pay - when it is done i will let everyone know - it would be extremely painful to know right now

especially when i see BJ prices so low and completed cudas on ebay now about $70 - 80K convertibles

the cars still don't have total resto mods like mine which are priced b/t 110K & more i guess

:working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007 - 06:23:18 AM »
The shop doing my R/T SE is a collision shop and doing my car in between their regular work; they get $42.50 hr.

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007 - 07:30:26 AM »
It's impossible to determine a rate as evidenced from the above post. From the east to the west , north to south , and as Russ brought to our attention it will make a difference if it is a resto shop or a collision shop. Oh, you may be able to collect say a 100 different hourly quotes and average them out, but even that average mau be $10.00 to $20.00 off either way from your part of the country. I will tell you a job quote is probably your best way to go, but get it in writing !  I realize not all owner/operators are the same. but you can't tell me that the age and kind of car will make a difference when it come to pricing, especially on any one specific task. Case in point, there is a local trim shop who does excellent work. Years ago I had them do a vinyl roof for me on a Scamp, later I had them do some seat repairs on the same car. Then after the Chally was finished I called to get an estimate for labor to install carpet, the car was fully gutted out, only the drivers bucket was still there for obvious reasons, and I already had purchased the made to fit (form fitted) carpet from Legendary, so......instalation was all I wanted done. The quote was $50.00, but when I was called and told the job was done, the owner said that will be $250.00 please. Now what caused this sudden inflated price? These shops are not sitting around with their heads stuck in the sand, when they saw a flreshly restored E-bod roll into their shop with a mild custom paint they obviously felt, "Hey this guy just spent some major bucks restoring this Mopar, we can get more than $50.00 for this job". Well, as it turns out I had talked to the owners son who really runs the shop and does 75% of the work there, he and his dad went round and round and I payed only the $50.00. Shame, that is an excellent quality shop as far as their work goes, but as long as the bastard old man is living I'll drive 100 mile if necessary if I need any trim work done on any of my cars.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007 - 08:03:23 AM »
I have been quoted $50/hr. from 2 very well respected shops in Texas and got on both of their waiting lists. It has been 2 years on one of them, even though he told me it would only be 4 months and it has been 1 1/2 years on the other. I have been told by both that I am next in line. Of course that was almost a year ago :dunno:. Hopefully with a possible job change in the near future, I will have some time to work on my own cars. 

On a side note, I really wanted my 71 conv. restored by a VERY well-known out of state shop but he told me up front that it would be 2 years before he could get to it. I passed because I didn't want to wait that long.   :sadwavey:

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007 - 08:28:51 AM »
It's impossible to determine a rate as evidenced from the above post. From the east to the west , north to south , and as Russ brought to our attention it will make a difference if it is a resto shop or a collision shop. Oh, you may be able to collect say a 100 different hourly quotes and average them out, but even that average mau be $10.00 to $20.00 off either way from your part of the country. I will tell you a job quote is probably your best way to go, but get it in writing !  I realize not all owner/operators are the same. but you can't tell me that the age and kind of car will make a difference when it come to pricing, especially on any one specific task. Case in point, there is a local trim shop who does excellent work. Years ago I had them do a vinyl roof for me on a Scamp, later I had them do some seat repairs on the same car. Then after the Chally was finished I called to get an estimate for labor to install carpet, the car was fully gutted out, only the drivers bucket was still there for obvious reasons, and I already had purchased the made to fit (form fitted) carpet from Legendary, so......instalation was all I wanted done. The quote was $50.00, but when I was called and told the job was done, the owner said that will be $250.00 please. Now what caused this sudden inflated price? These shops are not sitting around with their heads stuck in the sand, when they saw a flreshly restored E-bod roll into their shop with a mild custom paint they obviously felt, "Hey this guy just spent some major bucks restoring this Mopar, we can get more than $50.00 for this job". Well, as it turns out I had talked to the owners son who really runs the shop and does 75% of the work there, he and his dad went round and round and I payed only the $50.00. Shame, that is an excellent quality shop as far as their work goes, but as long as the bastard old man is living I'll drive 100 mile if necessary if I need any trim work done on any of my cars.

I understand what you are saying about different rates around the country.  Just for discussion information purposes, the hourly rates I quoted were taken from job quotes that I got for my car and back calculated from how many hours they told me it would take.  As you can see the job quote numbers vary widely, and in my opinion seem mroe expensive then I think it should be. The three quotes I got were from restoration places that specialized in old cars.  Are these places more expensive then a collision shop?  :dunno:  Just curious to see if I'm getting quotes from the most expensive type places to get the work done.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350