Author Topic: Best disc brake kit for the money?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Best disc brake kit for the money?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007 - 05:49:50 PM »
If you are truly looking for the cheapest bang for the buck.  Then you need to find a '73 to '76 A-body with disc brakes and do the swap.

1.You need to get both spindles along with the rest of the brake setup (you will need some of the small parts to swap over)

2. Purchase new rotors, bearings, calipers, and brake lines from a local parts store for the A-body you got them from.  These parts are common and should be cheap.

3. Put the spindles on your car. You can use your stock control arms and stock ball joints.

4. Assemble the rest of the brake parts like you would on the A-body.

You may also want to get the A-body master cylinder, but you can test the braking setup with the stock unit to make sure it works.

This is the exact swap I did on my '71 Challenger and I have not had any problems.  I also do not have any brake fade like I did with the drums.

The only problem I came accross with this swap was trying to find two calipers with the same size piston.  Most of the rebuilt calipers that you can get at local part stores are not the same.  We got lucky and found a matching set at the third store we went to.

I hope this can help you.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007 - 06:32:56 PM »
3. Put the spindles on your car. You can use your stock control arms and stock ball joints.

That is the part I was unsure of.

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007 - 02:19:47 PM »
I live in the same area as CrazyPete and I know from experience that the spindle and a-arms are getting a little harder to find and more expensive.   I think I paid $150 for the set I put on my Dart a few years ago.  Circle track guys figured it out as well and are buying them up.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007 - 09:52:20 AM »
I live in the same area as CrazyPete and I know from experience that the spindle and a-arms are getting a little harder to find and more expensive.   I think I paid $150 for the set I put on my Dart a few years ago.  Circle track guys figured it out as well and are buying them up.

That could be true, but you should not need the a-arms to do the swap on the E-body, my '71 did not require it.
It was a direct swap with the spindles.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007 - 09:58:15 PM »
 :iagree: with Jacksboys
I have a 73 Challenger with front discs and large rear drums (go figure - the slowest E bodies got the best stopping power) I used a set of 2nd hand Cordoba pin style caliper brackets $40, 2 brand new Cordoba discs $130 can use the new calipers already in the car and buy disc pads (BTW these are Canadian $$$). So with a few hoses an stuff I should have top notch 11.75" front brakes for under $250.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline loco440

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007 - 04:50:10 AM »
For any one in Australia or N/Z that wants to go the bigger front disc setup www.hoppers.com.au has a good set up,a mate that races his swears by them,I think they use Falcon AU ser 2 rotors and VT onwards twin piston callipers all up under $800.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007 - 07:04:42 AM »
jacksboys...did you have to replace the mstr. cyl. with your swap on the Chally?
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007 - 12:10:08 AM »
jacksboys...did you have to replace the mstr. cyl. with your swap on the Chally?

It has been a few years since I did the swap, so it is hard for me to remember if I did or not, but I am pretty sure that I did use the A-body master cylinder.  I know I did not replace the proportioning valve.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!