Author Topic: Best riding shocks  (Read 2067 times)

Offline 70challengerrt

Best riding shocks
« on: February 08, 2007 - 07:20:20 AM »
I am removing the air shocks that are presently in my challenger and figured I might as well replace the fronts also. What is the best shocks for a nice ride? I won't be carving the corners or anything like that but don't want to lose any cornering either. Mainly looking for a smooth ride.

Offline basement

Re: Best riding shocks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007 - 10:31:55 AM »
I'm assuming the airs were on the back. I had the same situation, air shocks on the rear and very old oem's on the front. After removing the front and the rears and replacing with the standard KYB gas charged shock  my ride height in the back dropped by about 1 1/2" so had to back off  the torsions to get the rake I wanted. The car handled corners much better but the rear was still quite stiff feeling.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007 - 10:35:26 AM »
A simple repalcement shock Like a Monroe gas should be what you want the KYBs are definatly stiffer riding
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007 - 01:43:54 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007 - 01:07:56 PM »
A simple repalcement shock Likw a Monroe gas should be what you want the KYBs are definatly stiffer riding

:iagree:

That's all I have on my car now. I took the air-shocks off the back, and put Espo leaf springs on with a 2" over stock height arc, so I still have the look I want too. No more bumpy rides to shake loose the dental work.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007 - 06:06:53 PM »
If you have the stock type t-bars and springs, or even t-bars up to .96 with XHD springs, then some gas charged Monroes or Gabriels will be fine.  KYBs have the distiction of presenting themselves as quality shock absorbers, but in reality they ride like a buckboard. Edelbrocks are also very nice and offer a little better transitional control as the valving is desigend for particular body styles. Beyond that your getting into specialty shocks which get very spendy very quick.

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007 - 07:40:15 PM »
Koni's are nice.  They can be rebuilt as well.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 - 05:29:58 PM »
Ive got a set of the edelbrock IAS shocks on my ram and personally i love them.  Ive had them for years are there very nice.  I was gonna add a rear sway bar for towing the car trailer but instead i got these and wow.  Just something different for ya to consider btw their a lil pricey.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007 - 05:49:41 PM »
I completely rebuild my suspension from front back with energy suspension and moog parts, than I rearced the rear springs. I asked for 2" higher in but they rearced them slightly more so hopefully they settle down a little. I ordered monroe sensetrac gas shocks. I will post how all this works, rides and feels on the road as soon as spring rolls around. Thanks for everyones help.
Todd