how you got hooked

Author Topic: how you got hooked  (Read 2455 times)

sleepychallenger

how you got hooked
« on: February 09, 2007 - 11:38:38 AM »
Hey,
we have seen how folks found their rides, but have we seen what got you hooked in the first place? I still remember the first "whack" that screamed MOPAR. I always loved my dads (now mine) challenger and it was always the best no matter what but as a little kid i liked a lot of cars. i remember in 1991 going to the drag strip with my dad for MOPAR days or something like that and we went to get Mrs Mopar 1991's autograph. so there i am with this signed picture of this total hottie in a swim suit and we are walking back to our seats. to get there we had to walk behind the cars that were racing and at that time a cuda with slicks was doing a burn out and i got hit in the head with a chunk of tire. it was love at first whack and have loved them ever since. i guess that is the first time that i "felt" the power.!!!

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: how you got hooked
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007 - 11:48:02 AM »
Good story sleepy!  I have loved mopar my whole life, but when I got the best "whack" was when my dad and I went to a guy's place last fall and showed us his cars.  Superbird, Daytona, AAR, and T/A.  When he pulled the cover off of that AAR (plum crazy)  I about died.  The thing was immaculate.  He said he restored it in '77 and hasnt changed it since.  Drives it like 2-3 times a year.  It looks like it was painted last week.  Thats when it hit me, I needed and ebody bad. Funny thing is, 18 hours later I bought one!   :roflsmiley:  I had the Mopar fever before, its just that the diagnosis went from "stable"  to "serious"  I havent recovered since.   :grinno:

I hope no one finds a cure.   :grinno:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007 - 12:06:33 PM »
...I was a GM guy....

...a classmate of mine drove a fairly new 68 Charger 440, and was always wanting to race his daddys car....

...another buddy had just bought a new Vitamin C, 69 1/2 SIX BBL Road Runner....I wanted to take a ride in the R Runner and the dork in the Charger showed up wanting to run against the big orange "Lift Off Hood" beast....

...all I remember is, when the clutch was released on the R Runner, I was pinned to the bucket seats and the howl of the Six BBL was very, very loud....we walked away from the Charger like he had his foot on the brake....I swear the wheels nearly lifted off the street when we launched....cool nite air, street racing between two 440 MOPARS, I was hooked from that moment on...

...no idea what ever happened to the Charger, but the SIX BBL Road Runner was stolen and rolled over(several times) during a high speed pursuit a few months later....

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007 - 12:28:09 PM »
I drove pontiac firebirds early on but once I watched a 68 GTX race everyone around from big block camaro's to 442 olsmobile's and never lost. That's when the fever hit me. He sometimes had a tough time keeping the GTX straight but once it hooked up it was gone. It took 10 years for me to start buying and owning Mopar muscles cars and now I have owned and restored many.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007 - 01:09:06 PM »
My old man was a die hard mopar guy, grew up hearing stories about his 340 duster beating up on all the local chevy and ford cars around. When I was 5 I remember spending every night "helping" him build a 53 Dodge pickup streetrod that used to run 13's.  He sold that when I was about 10 and I spent the next 5 years wanting my own...bought a nice 340 Demon clone when I was 15 for $5500 bucks. Solid with the nice black interior, blue with black hood stripes and scoops, rallye's.

Before I bought that I wanted to buy my uncle's old '73 Cuda that I rode in a few times when I was really young. Numbers matching 4spd car, guy wouldn't sell it to me because I was too young, sold it months later for $2500. (this was in '96).  I wanted a 'Cuda ever since.   :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline Mr. 440SixPack

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007 - 02:29:48 PM »
...no idea what ever happened to the Charger, but the SIX BBL Road Runner was stolen and rolled over(several times) during a high speed pursuit a few months later....

Oh my god!  :22yikes: :walkaway: I feel sorry for that Road Runner...

I got hooked about 5 years ago when I was 12 years old. I've always loved muscle cars. I' ve been watching them in
movies and listening to that v8 sound...I was dreaming to own any muscle car since then. But one day I got a computer game Interstate 76 with 'Cuda as a main story car. It was orange with black stripes and side exhaust. I was very interested in that car...I started to look over the internet to find some info of it but I had no luck because in game 'Cuda was named as Picard Piranha or something like that. Then I found out that in real Piranha is Plymouth Barracuda. What a beautiful name... :worshippy With help of google I got to cudaworld.com and first thing I saw there was a photo of green 440 6pac 'Cuda :o...I fell in love with that girl... Now I am thinking about her every single day... :faint:

Picture of Picard Piranha aka 'Cuda...I still have this game but It doesn't work on Windows XP  :walkaway:
My dream: 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 440+6 Pack/4 speed Pistol Grip/Dana 60 rearend/PS, PB/Lime Light/Shaker hood/Rallye dash...

Offline back n black

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007 - 02:55:13 PM »
2nd generation: 

Pops always had some great mopars that he was hustling in and out years before everyone else did.  As a kid, I saw some of the most unbelivable cars come through.  I was fortunate enough to be raised on wing Cars, AAR's, T/A's, and even the first Hemi Challenger.  This was back when the cream of the crop Mopars were still out doing burnouts and not trailed around as part of a investor's retirement portfolio.   

Exactly when I was hooked, well probably the night my old man took me out in a 71 billboard cuda and drove it like hell.  He drove it harder then any car I had ever been in and told me not to tell mom.  I was so excited that I had to tell mom and she wasn't pleased.  It was sometime before Dad and I ever got go and do it again.   That car wasn't at our home for long, so I don't miss it like some cars he had through the years.  But that Curious Yellow Cuda got me curious about Mopar!

Vanished

Offline willhaven

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007 - 03:28:38 PM »
For me it was when I saw my first picture of a 70 AAR 'Cuda in plum crazy on the internet about 7 or 8 years ago.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007 - 04:12:52 PM »
I wuz born addicted  :woohoo:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007 - 04:26:41 PM »
My Dad was a Mopar guy. I learned to drive in a 71 Dodge Crestwood station wagon. I guess it just stayed in the blood lines.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline djr71

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007 - 05:05:16 PM »
My father was a Ford guy, we had about 7 model A's growing up. I wanted to build a hot rod, my neighbor had a 1941 Plymouth for sale and it became my first car. I bought a totaled 340 duster for $500.00 and we put the drivetrain into the 41.
Unfotunately I sold the car before it was totally finished but it made it to Street Rodder magazine.
The funny part abut it I was at a swap meet and a guy had a Plymouth Superbird that need major restoration and had a non original 440 for sale. I talked with him about trading my all Mopar hot rod and $$ for the bird. I was only 15 so he wanted to speak to my father first. My father refused saying I was going to get into way too much trouble with that car.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 - 05:26:16 PM by djr71 »

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007 - 05:21:52 PM »
My buddy bought his brother in law's  '73 'CUDA340.

He was 15 years and 7 months old and showed up at his driving test with it... The instructor was  :scared:

That car did 140 easily
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 - 05:23:51 PM by 360cuda »

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007 - 05:27:30 PM »
Dad was a ford man to the core but a gear head too.  As he was a ex. auto mech. when i was about 11 or so he gave me about 3 card board boxes full of car mags,(hot rod, car craft, drag, ect.......all the way back to the late 50's) so after i had read every copy cover to cover i was in love.  1970 plymouth Cuda was the dream car for me.  Well needless to say at the age of 17 i owned the closest thing they would let me buy(cause pop's knew only a small block car was gonna be ok with him) was my gran coupe and here in july i will have owned that car 18 years.  And the mopar culture sure has come full circle back in the late 80's and 90's they were considered an out cast by most car people.  I took alot of razzing since i was mopar and hard core to boot.  And now it seems like everyone is all about mopars now kinda funny.  

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007 - 08:39:45 PM »
Well, I liked going fast.  I drove a '57 Chebbie 2 door hardtop with a 283 powerslide tranny.  Kept trying to make it faster, but I learned pretty quick that small cubes, 2 barrel carb and heavy car = SLOW.  Made changes to it, but it was never fast at all.   Rode in a friend of mines 66 Coronet 440 with a 383 4 speed.  From then on, I was sold on Mopars.  Went and bought a '70 Demon 340 4 speed car and started hopping it up.  Got some help from the local dealer with some factory experimental dragrace parts.    :naughty:    They sorta used my car as a rolling small block parts tester.  All I had to do was change parts when they asked me too.  I went from 14:80's down to 12:60's with that car.  Oh yeah, it had a/c that worked great.  Then I went to Hemi "B" bods.  Had 7 of them including a '65 A-990 factory race car.  Campaigned that for 4 seasons.  Had a blast with that one.  I ran consistent 10:60's---all day long.  I sold that one and didn't get another muscle car until 2006 when I acquired the Beast.  Who knows when I'll sell the Beast and what I will end up with after that.  Time will tell..............      :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007 - 08:52:46 PM »
When I was 15, I bought a 1972 Chevy Cheyenne 1/2 ton pick up truck from my boss. I did not have a permit, but my older brother had his license, so he would drive me anywhere I wanted to go since he did not own a car yet. His first car was a primer brown Dodge Dart with a very tired 318.

Once I got my license, we raced as kids will do.....

My Chebby with the 350 did OK, but that little ol' Dart with the worn out 318 stayed right on my butt. He could not pass, but he could keep up.

Not long after that he swapped in a 360 from a 1972 Newport and the roles reversed, I could keep up with him, but not pass him.

I bought the Dart from him after that when he bought a Mustang and I was hooked........