how you got hooked

Author Topic: how you got hooked  (Read 2458 times)

Offline 73challenger_TN

Re: how you got hooked
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007 - 09:59:11 PM »
When I was like 11 I watched fast and the furious and got hooked on imports. Well, my dad didn't really like that so he bought me Hot Rod instead of Import Tuner. After seeing muscle cars I was hooked. I talked my dad into starting a project with me. At first we looked for Fords/Chevy then my uncle finaly broke down and sold me his Challenger. It was parked by what looked to be a junkyard(his garage) with very little of anything left. He sold it to me for what he payed for it in like 1985 so you can imagine what I payed for it. Also my uncles stories of street racing from his younger years helped alot. He has a 340 he has had the parts to build for like 15 years. He has a set of T/A heads, huge solid lift cam, and a weiland tunnel ram sitting in his closet.

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007 - 12:44:21 AM »
Well, when I was little, I used to really like to watch the television show JAG. Sometimes, I would stay up and watch the show that followed directly after it, Nash Bridges. I really liked the car that they drove on the show, and started to look into background on it. Every bit of info I looked at pulled me deeper into the hobby, and eventually my quest for information led me to this site!

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007 - 01:33:55 AM »
I have a story not too far from Moparmatt's story.

I was about 16 or 17 and a new show was on TV called "VIPER".   Does anyone remember this?  I think it only lasted one season.  Anyway, I wanted a Viper sooo bad and I started watching the show.  In one of the episodes, they were dealing with muscle cars.  The main character had a side kick, and he owned a CUDA (plum crazy) and I was hooked from that point on.

I wanted a Cuda, but my father and I came accross a Challenger and after a few interesting events, I came home with my Challenger. 

Mopar Fever!
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007 - 04:56:11 AM »
My parents always had Mopars (4 doors). Nothing hot, but my neighbor was always building hotrods. Chevys and Mopars. he was about 10 years older than me and I was always at his house with my nose under the hood learning whatever I could from him. He owned the "Black Pearl". It was a totally awesome black shiny 1970 340 'Cuda. I remember him smoking just about anything in the neighborhood. That was it. I was sold on Mopars and soon after I bought my first Mopar which was a peppy 1973 Barracuda with a stock factory 318. I've had 4 since then and one Challenger which I currently have! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007 - 05:48:55 AM »
I have a story not too far from Moparmatt's story.

I was about 16 or 17 and a new show was on TV called "VIPER".   Does anyone remember this?  I think it only lasted one season.  Anyway, I wanted a Viper sooo bad and I started watching the show.  In one of the episodes, they were dealing with muscle cars.  The main character had a side kick, and he owned a CUDA (plum crazy) and I was hooked from that point on.

I wanted a Cuda, but my father and I came accross a Challenger and after a few interesting events, I came home with my Challenger. 

Mopar Fever!

...yep, I watcherd the show too...

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007 - 09:24:54 AM »
I'm just insane I guess  :dunno: I could tell you the only NEW car my dad ever bought was a 53 Plymouth. But that thing was way ugly... altho not as bad as grand dads 52 Dodge. Probly had alot to do with hangin out with to many bowtie boys and a need to be different. I don't think it was for the privilege of spending 2 or 3 times as much for parts as they do..  :clueless:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007 - 10:31:23 AM »
I allways loved US car since I was a kid, even tough I live in Europe. But what really got me hooked on Mopar was the tv show Nash Bridges. I had to have a 'cuda. My first US car was a 1970 Dodge Charger 500. Later I got a 1984 Chevy K5 Blazer 6.2 Diesel. But I was a Mopar freak so it got replaced by a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger LE 150 318EFI (still have it). And then I sold the Charger and got myself a 70 'cuda last April  :ylsuper:

- Jørgen - Norwegian Mopar fanatic

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 383 A833 8-3/4 3.23 suregrip
http://cuda.widing.biz/

Offline mr.mopar

• mopar maniac
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007 - 10:55:32 AM »
i bought my first challenger in 93.it was a 73 challenger with a 71 front end.it was in my home town and i like the car and asked if it was for sale.yes it was and i bougt it.it was my first american car and since then i have been a mopar maniac :bigsmile:
1971 cuda 6.1L hemi 5 speed
1971 challenger 383 shaker n96
1933 plymouth rod project
1987 harley

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007 - 11:04:13 AM »
Kinda fell into it. I was looking for a car in 1983, and I just liked the looks of the Challenger. Found an RT  and bought it, sold it like 2 years later. Never should have done that. :crying:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007 - 11:45:38 AM »
they used a fish (barracuda) as bait, I took a bite and took it line, hook and sinker.......always been a Chevy guy, but my pal took me for a ride in his 69 Dart GTS 383, fastest car I ever drove in. I bought it.A million camaros and vettes out there. If you have a mopar, you look like a rebel. High impact colors, hemi's, pistol grips, six packs hard to compete with lingo like that and killer motors to back it up. Also, fender tags, vins and broadcast sheets to let everyone know what the car is-no impersonators
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007 - 02:43:42 PM by HemiOrange70 »

Offline Sinister68

• Caught Dodge Fever
    • My '68 Dodge Charger
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007 - 02:20:08 PM »
2009 Challenger R/T - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger R/T

5.7 Hemi/Auto/Boss 18's - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007 - 08:13:15 PM »
I got the fever back when I was around 12-13 years old.  My parent's friend had his son's old car ('69 Charger) sitting behind his garage/wood storage building since the '80s. (He joined the NAVY and went on tour for several years, leaving the car behind.)  I was told about it on several occasions, so when I began working for him in his woodworking shop, I checked it out a couple times after I was done working.  It didn't look the greatest as the silver paint was highly oxidized and there was moss in the recessed areas of the hood, but I'll never forget how sinister-looking it was.  Little by little, I began inquiring about it and finally one day I just asked him if I could buy it for $600.  He talked to his son a while later and informed me the next time I went there that he was willing to sell it for the price I offered. (He probably would have taken less, but I had done my homework and figured it was a reasonable price for both of us.)  Needless to say, I ended up with the car and have been MoPar-addicted ever since. :grinyes: :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007 - 09:07:16 PM »
I was lucky.  My family was into racing and they raced Mopars.  When it came time for me to drive my Dad didn't want me in his car so as a 16th birthday present he gave me the Challenger convertible that is in my avatar.  I still have it and am slowly redoing it now.  I then got another Challenger to race (my 6 pack Challenger) and it went on from there. The great thing about it is that many of my High School Mopar friends are still Mopar friends and family.  The car geeks stuck together better than the jocks.  I did play football but was mainly a car guy.  Roughly 30 Challengers and a few Cuda's later I still have the fever.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007 - 05:12:00 AM »
My father was never a "car guy" but he did do a lot of his own basic maintenance on his well-used cars.I started getting into cars in my early teens and really caught the bug in high school as the kids had some cool cars back then-`74-`77.I didn`t know what a Mopar was yet but among the Chevelles,Camaros and Mustangs one day a kid showed up in a `73 `cuda 340 painted candy apple red with Cragar S/S wheels and I fell in love with it.There was also a `70 Challenger R/T 440/6 car,all black and one of the fastest cars in town was a big brown C-body,New Yorker I think, with a biult 440.We also had an old barn my father rented out for a while to a local hot rodder who worked on a GTO and biult a t-bucket.I got my license as soon as I could and bought a `68 Chevelle and been into going fast in cars and on bikes ever since.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007 - 07:10:34 AM »
When I was in high school a girfriends older brother had a screeming Mopar and often took us with him and his wife to places we otherwise couldn't. I definately remember the quick trips,  :roflsmiley: And although as the usual teen with a very limited budget I had a few clunker GM cars for my transportation. But the first good car I bought was a 64 Sport Fury back in 1965..............so why love anything other than a Mopar?  :2thumbs:

BTW, a "latter" girlfriend also had a brother who owned a GTX, but that was already after I got hooked, and may even had something to do with why I first went out with her.  :roflsmiley:  :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007 - 07:14:43 AM by whitesatinmopar »
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger