Author Topic: Air ride 4 bar  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
Air ride 4 bar
« on: February 10, 2007 - 10:01:56 PM »
I just flipping through the latest Mopar Muscle and came across an article about the Air Ride rear suspension.  They did a step by step of the install process.  I was scared.  There are suspesion brackets held in by SELF TAPPING SCREWS!  Now I'm no engineer, but this seems really cheap and cheesy and just plain scary.  I'll re-read it again in the morning, but something justdon't seem right about it.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline 70B@rracuda

Re: Air ride 4 bar
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007 - 03:09:28 AM »
It is common practice to put a welding rod on them.

Offline Hopalong

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007 - 06:59:43 AM »
I figured it would not be hard to weld them in, but the article really makes no suggestion to that.  I would hate to see those rip out at speed.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007 - 05:57:17 AM »
i just read through the article last night i figured they did that to make it "all bolt in " the kit looks decent.  But im guessing $$$$ but if your building a G machine i bet you dont care about the cost.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline Hopalong

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007 - 06:47:23 PM »
I went to their website, www.ridetech.com but did not find any prices there.  I emailed a local vender from their dealers list and will wait to see what they come up with for prices.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Travis72

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007 - 08:45:53 PM »
This page lists the price as $1995

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airbarstang.asp

That's for the base kit.  From there you can pick out various air pumps, tanks and controllers.  If you're serious about the price, I would contact Bill Rielly since he's probably sold more of these than anyone:

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php

I would also recommend welding in the system (at the very least spot welding) and that was mentioned by Bill and Matt Delany at the Carlisle event last summer.

I'm considering one of these as well.... the only thing holding me back is that it doesn't seem to give anymore tire clearance since it uses the stock leaf spring mounting points.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 - 05:15:04 AM »
i have the ridetech system on my 70 challenger conv - had the same concerns with the self-tapping screws - discussed with Ridetech - said you did NOT need to weld it - RIGHT

welded everything - the airbags do NOT hold air well & i'm NOT spending another $1500-$2000 for compressors & tanks & hoses & whatever else it takes for this system to stay inflated

I talked with Bill Reilly re: these issues since i have the alterktion front end on my car

he also replaced the airbags for coilover in the rear which i will probably do after the car is completed.

just my  :2cents:   :working:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007 - 06:25:16 AM »
i have the ridetech system on my 70 challenger conv - had the same concerns with the self-tapping screws - discussed with Ridetech - said you did NOT need to weld it - RIGHT

welded everything - the airbags do NOT hold air well & i'm NOT spending another $1500-$2000 for compressors & tanks & hoses & whatever else it takes for this system to stay inflated

I talked with Bill Reilly re: these issues since i have the alterktion front end on my car

he also replaced the airbags for coilover in the rear which i will probably do after the car is completed.

just my  :2cents:   :working:

cudabuyer - are you saying that you are using the airbags as a static shock (like an airshock) as opposed to having the entire system (compressor and charging tank)? I am considering this system for my car as well but had planed on using the entire system to adjust ride height. Did Bill Reilly say that he had problems with this system elsewhere?

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007 - 04:28:32 AM »
the airbags in the rear basically serve as airshocks at this time - it had one line to inflate both shocks - i converted it to 2 lines by purchasing additional pieces from ridetech

Bill uses the ridetech system to demo the options with his front suspension system - he also changed his rear airbags to coilovers

he is extremely knowledgeable and easy to discuss issues - mention my name if you wish - i just discussed the leaking airbags less than 2 weeks ago

Joel
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007 - 04:30:17 PM »
Cudabuyer,
Can you tell me what size of rear tire combo you can run with the air ride 4-bar? Either with the bags or coil overs? It appears that their mounts take up some room exactly where the spring seats are. Bill Reilly said you could use this set up with the spring relocation kit to get additional clearance if needed. What do you think having installed this?

Thanks!