Biggest Scare !

Author Topic: Biggest Scare !  (Read 2455 times)

nivvy

Biggest Scare !
« on: February 11, 2007 - 10:21:09 AM »
What was the biggest scare or close call you ever had in your prized mopar?

Mine was the first time my dad ever let me take the Super Bee to a car show by myself...I was about 18-19 and decided to leave the show and everyone was hootin and hollering at me to do a burnout  :burnout: ..well I gave into peer pressure and dumped the cluth at about 4 grand pulling out of the lot and the car did a 180 into the other lane  :22yikes: which was coming over a blindsided hill...lucky for me a car was coming over that hill cause I would have been crunched !!!  :working:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Biggest Scare !
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007 - 10:26:41 AM »
It was dawn, I was driving about 70 MPH down the Pa. Turnpike. Not a soul around... except for this deer coming towards the road. All I could think of was how tough it was going to be to replace my front fenders.  :scared: I swerved into the left lane, and luckily, it swerved the other way. I don't like playing "chicken".  :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007 - 11:10:58 AM »
ive had two,

1) the first time that my dad let me take the Dodge out on my own. it was a little wet on the road and I wasnt expecting the power. i got the green light and was making my left turn, then half way through the turn and the car starts spinning in circles. well, by the time i stopped spinning the other light had turned green and cars were coming so i hit the gas, turned the car and started going.

2) Here in Panama City people are idiots. this old lady pulled out of wal-mart across 4 lanes of traffic and a median and instead of going into the lane next to me where there was no traffic she pulled right in front of me with about 5' between us. that was the first time that i had to lock the breaks up like that. my car was all over the road and the biggest fear was the 65 impalla that was behind me with its breaks locked up. all i could think is that i was going to get it from both ends and was my unborn baby going to be ok (wife was in the passenger seat)

luckily no damage other than the need for new tires came out of either of these situations. but it figures that when the car is parked that it would get hit  :faint:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007 - 11:12:28 AM »
I bought my first car when I was 15...71 340 dodge demon. On the way home the wheel fell off, destroyed the quarter panel and I nearly hit the bridge.  Bad enough the guy robbed the 3:91's and replaced with 3:23's but he could have at least tightened the fricken wheels.   :banghead:   :stomp:    :swear:

Yes I was driving when I was 15, and for about a year before that..lol, gotta love the country.   :misbehaving:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007 - 11:16:53 AM »
My other scare on was in my challenger....I was out cruisin around and it just started down pouring!!! and of course I had the MT ET Streets on and the car slid like it was on a sheet of ice into the other lane  :o had no control whatsoever...good thing no other car were coming ... I always check the weather now before a cruise !!!  :jumping:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007 - 11:18:45 AM »
I have two. The first one happened January 1 2002. I was in my Challenger and getting on Highway 101 north of Santat Roas, it had been raining that day, and as I was getting on the freeway I hit an extra slippery spot in the road went across both lanes of traffic ended up hitting the center divide and facing on coming traffic, luckily no one was hurt and I didn't hit anyone, but it wiped out the passenger quarter on the car.

The second happened last week when I wrecked my SRT-4 on I-5. We now believe that my right rear tire went flat and in combination with the bad weather caused the rear end to come out from behind me. Again luckily no one was hurt and I was the only car involved, but this time my car may be totalled.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

sleepychallenger

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007 - 11:20:41 AM »
wow. that sucks. i had something like that happen with my 72 Chally. it was right after i had gotten t-bonned and i still dukes of hazzarded it in the drivers window for a date. ( i know, taking a girl out in a crushed chally primer colored with cherry bombs) that was terrible. good to hear that it was only that damage and nothing more.
I bought my first car when I was 15...71 340 dodge demon. On the way home the wheel fell off, destroyed the quarter panel and I nearly hit the bridge.  Bad enough the guy robbed the 3:91's and replaced with 3:23's but he could have at least tightened the fricken wheels.   :banghead:   :stomp:    :swear:

Yes I was driving when I was 15, and for about a year before that..lol, gotta love the country.   :misbehaving:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007 - 12:53:06 PM »
Had two.

1. Not long after I got my Challenger (age 17 or 18) I was driving home form work like I did most nights.  One of the roads I took has a sharp turn to the left with another road intersecting right in the middle of the bend; it looks almost like the shape of the letter "Y".  But you can clearly see if anyone is coming.  I was coming around the bend and an old lady in a big car (I think a caddy) decided to pull out at that very moment.  I locked up the brakes and slid to within inches of the car and the lady kept going like nothing ever happened.

2. I was making a left-hand turn on to a busy two-lane road with cars parked at an angle on the side of the road.  I quickly jumped out into traffic at which point someone else was backing out into the road.  I swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid the wreck and swerved back into my lane almost hitting a car in the other lane. 

The funny thing was the car in the other lane was a police car.  Talk about a dirty look I got when he passed by.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007 - 01:07:11 PM »
My biggest scare was probably when I was 16 and just got my car on the road. I had just got home from from school and decided to take the car out for a quick spin. Well the first stop sign I came to the brakes felt a little mushy, but I just thought that I might be low on fluid so I kept going. The next stop sign the brakes still felt mushy, so I got of the car and looked at the reservoir and found it to be a little low, but nothing to serious. I take off again and as I approach the next stop(at a 50mph intersection) I hit the brakes and realize that the pedal is all the way to the floor and my car isnt slowing down.....at that exact instant the brake light came on (which I didnt even knew existed till then). I didnt have an e-brake(unhooked) so I downshifted, stalled it, and came to a rest just in time. At that point I was about 1 mile and 3 stops signs away from my house, so I called a friend with a ****ty car and had him drive in front of me in case I needed to stop :lol:. I made it home without incident and bought a new master cylinder to fix that problem. I can vividly remember my leg pushing on the brake pedal and the car not stopping, weirdest feeling in the world....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007 - 01:15:05 PM »
Too many close calls to count. I've had some scares that ended up as scars!!  :smilielol:

The worst one was when I had just completed a face lift on my '73 Barracuda. I'd had it since high school and ten years later I figured it was time to get rid of the 'Puke Green" color (I apologize if you like that mopar color!)  :roflsmiley: I had the car completely repainted including stripping the vinyl roof and a custom stripe job. Cost about $1500 smackers in 1980.  :money: I also had rebuilt the motor, new  custom 727 tranny and new tires, new front end, new springs. Two weeks after the paint job, I was driving it to work (it was still a daily driver) and a camero pulled out in front of me. I took the whole front end off of his car and it wiped out the entire driver's side of the Barracuda.  :swear: Thank God nobody got hurt except I wanted to cry. The insurance wanted to total out the car. I threatened a lawsuit and got it fixed, but it was never that same!! Good excuse to buy another Mopar!! :ylsuper:
                                                      Matt B.
Matt

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007 - 01:23:50 PM »
...bought a HEMI Challenger RT/SE....picked it up around Christmas 1988.....beautiful day, sunny.....loaded the Challenger on the trailer and headed to Indiana....this car was probably the most spectacular car I ever owned, flawless, clean underneath, beyond perfect....

...we get half way home, stop for a quick lunch at Wendys, and it starts to snow/sleet....long story short, it takes us 8-9 hours to travel the last 140 miles....we saw dozens of cars slide off the interstate, one just missed us as it slid across the median towards us....we traveled for hours at 10-15 MPH and could barely stay on the road....finally rolled in to New Castle about 11pm....the car looked like a giant frozen Coke riding on the open trailer....brown ice/slush completely covered the car and it was about 2-3 inches thick in places....I had to chip ice off the door  to get it open and get the car off the trailer and into the garage.....next morning, the car was in the garage, all the ice was melted and off the car, it looked like brand new and didn't have a mark on it....

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007 - 01:34:16 PM »
...bought a HEMI Challenger RT/SE....picked it up around Christmas 1988.....beautiful day, sunny.....loaded the Challenger on the trailer and headed to Indiana....this car was probably the most spectacular car I ever owned, flawless, clean underneath, beyond perfect....

...we get half way home, stop for a quick lunch at Wendys, and it starts to snow/sleet....long story short, it takes us 8-9 hours to travel the last 140 miles....we saw dozens of cars slide off the interstate, one just missed us as it slid across the median towards us....we traveled for hours at 10-15 MPH and could barely stay on the road....finally rolled in to New Castle about 11pm....the car looked like a giant frozen Coke riding on the open trailer....brown ice/slush completely covered the car and it was about 2-3 inches thick in places....I had to chip ice off the door  to get it open and get the car off the trailer and into the garage.....next morning, the car was in the garage, all the ice was melted and off the car, it looked like brand new and didn't have a mark on it....

Why would you sell such a beautiful car. 

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 340kiwi

• I'll see you in the babe section, Mr Anderson.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007 - 01:54:59 PM »
Got caught in a snowstorm when I lived in Reno. Driving home veeery carefully on the freeway, only one lane had tire tracks through the snow and I could still feel the back end twitching around. 2 exits to go and a guy came up an on ramp in front of me and I had to touch the brakes.....car did a very graceful slow motion 540 across 3 lanes and parallel parked itself next to the divider - not a scratch! After a minute or 2 to get regain some composure I managed to get back in the clear lane and get home ok. I think the God of Mopars was with me that day ' cause it sure wasn't my driving ability that saved it :lol:
Paul
70 Challenger - coming together at the speed of molasses on a frosty morning!

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007 - 02:42:35 PM »
Why would you sell such a beautiful car. 

...I've asked myself that same question several times  :roflsmiley:

...I sold it in a package deal with a red Daytona, triple black T/A 4 spd, red/red T/A 4 spd, 440 6BBL lime CUDA 4 spd and a Plum 440 Challenger conv...sold the guy 6 cars in 10 days

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007 - 02:43:46 PM »
My scariest moment came when I was racing a buddy of mine one night, me in my 70 Charger and him in his 69 GTO. We were neck and neck on a two lane highway doing about 120 at the time. We approached a bridge and sitting right beyond the crest of the bridge was a car broke down with its flashers on in my lane. Both of us tried slowing up at the same time. Then just as I was ready to dump to the right hand side and go down a hill I noticed that he had slowed up enough that there was a gap in front of him. I floored it and don't know how I ever missed clipping him or the other car.