Author Topic: Biggest Scare !  (Read 2452 times)

Offline DAYTONA

Re: Biggest Scare !
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007 - 02:44:42 PM »
Why would you sell such a beautiful car. 

...I've asked myself that same question several times  :roflsmiley:

...I sold it in a package deal with a red Daytona, triple black T/A 4 spd, red/red T/A 4 spd, 440 6BBL lime CUDA 4 spd and a Plum 440 Challenger conv...sold the guy 6 cars in 10 days

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007 - 02:56:16 PM »

.....red Daytona, triple black T/A 4 spd, red/red T/A 4 spd, 440 6BBL lime CUDA 4 spd and a Plum 440 Challenger conv...

You like 4-Speeds huh. :sly: :smilielol:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 6pkrunner

• Evil Monkey in Runner
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007 - 03:05:09 PM »
lost the brakes in my hemi Coronet at around 90 mph coming into a 30mph town zone.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007 - 03:08:50 PM »

You like 4-Speeds huh. :sly: :smilielol:

Daytona, HEMI RT/SE and the Challenger conv. were all automatics....I do prefer 4 spds though  :bigsmile:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007 - 03:09:21 PM »
At work I was driving a new Jeep GC. When pullling onto the expressway, at about 50MPH a woman who was behind me tried to pass me on the on-ramp and hit the back drivers side quarter as we got to the merge lane. Just like in NASCAR, the back end came around and as I tried to correct, the truck came up on two wheels, then when it came back down it shot across 3 lanes of interstate and we hit the jersey barrier head-on. I remember thinking as I saw the barrier coming up "this is going to hurt!"  LOL

Ended up with 4 stitches in my hand where it flew off the steering wheel and hit the windshield and broke it, stiff back for a few weeks, and a swollen nose from the air bag hitting me in the face. Pretty lucky there wasn't a tractor trailer coming down one of those lanes when we shot across like that, i would have taken a broadside impact on the drivers side. Totalled the new jeep with only 87 miles on it. The woman got a wreckless driving citation, and i had to go to court as a witness when she tried to beat the ticket. She made up some BS story, the judge didn't buy it and found her guilty.

I spun a GLHS charger in an ice storm....just went for the ride as it spun around several times and ended up in someones drieway, did not hit a thing. looked like i just parked it there. A guy came out of his house and asked if i neeeded a coffee....i told him i need a shot of Jack Daniels! we must have watched 10 cars that day spin and slide as we tried to stop them from going down that hill. waited about 2 hrs till the temps came up and the ice melted. Saw a state tropper go down that hill like he had skis on. he was walking down the hill to see the pile-up at the bottom...4 cars all smashed together.

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007 - 04:28:50 PM »
  I was takeing friends home early one Saturday morning after last call and was headed down the freeway when a Nova came up beside me. One thing lead to another and it was off to the races.  He was in the outside lane (luckily) and I was about a car length behind him at about 70 mph when something broke on the Nova and he crossed up and came shooting over into my lane. We just happend to be beside an off ramp so I jerk the car to the right  and went up the ramp. Went up that ramp going sideways with the back end trying to come around so I steered it to the left  and over corrected the opposite way and hit a reflector pole with the very front right fender just behind the bumper wich sent me helicoptering back down towards the freeway. Must of done 3 or 4 360's and put up a hell of a cloud of dirt. After the dust settled and I could see again we ended up faceing back up hill with the car still running so away we went. Definately scared the bejeebes out of me. Didnt find the damaged fender/bumper/GRILL till next day.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007 - 05:09:33 PM »
I`ve had a few-twice I`ve had to lock up the brakes for idiots pulling out in front me-gee, you can`t see or hear an orange car with Flowmasters?   ::)  Another time I stopped for traffic and some kid behind me was looking down for a CD or cell phone and luckily looked up just in time to lock `em up and missed rear ending me by a few feet!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007 - 05:31:43 PM »

I had my biggest scare in my first car.  1974 Plymouth Scamp 318.  My street was @ 15' wide and on both sides water.  The River on the left and the swamp to the right, road had a slight bend to the left in it.  I decided to check if the kickdown still worked, hammered it and it dropped into 1st and that was it.

Picture hitting the Drivers side of the car on the trees of the Right hand side of the road!  About 270 degrees around hit the right side trees (small ones 6" in diameter) bounced off and rolled head first into the river on the other side!  I remember running down my street to get my Dad and his truck to pull it out.  Must have made a racket cause by the time We got back <5minutes the Cops were there.  They asked me why I left the scene figuring I was drunk, I replied "It is after 12AM and I'm not supposed to be driving this late."  The cop laughed at me, my Dad didn't.  Get this though, when I got out of the passenger door(drivers door stuck) I never shut the car off and it was still running and in gear!  The a$$ end was about 3' off the ground and the wheels were spinning.   Took that motor and tranny out and put them in my 69 cuda.

What a night.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

71challengher

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007 - 09:44:23 PM »
My biggest scare was a huge nightmare. I had my 70 Barracuda with 5 years of work into and it was finally done. Dang, I miss that car. It was my 1st day off work in 6 months, working 4 jobs. It had snowed 4 days before. I decided to meet a friend for lunch. Did a little shopping. Every road I was on that day was clean and dry. I came home a different way. Topped a hill and hit 200 feet of ice . I hit a van head on. The EMT wrecked coming to the accident and the police officer did 2 360's and stopped within inches of hitting me trapped in my car. I remember looking out where my windows use to be.Thinking go ahead and hit me ,my day can't get any worse. I was in the hospital 3 months and almost died. My brothers would come into the IC Unit and lie to me and tell me they could fix the Barracuda. They only thing good that came out of it, it forced the Dept of Transportion here to fix the road. ( poor drainage) No the other guy wasn't hurt at all , thank God. And , yes I cried when I saw the car.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007 - 10:22:02 PM by 71ChallengeHer »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007 - 10:24:21 PM »
About 20 years ago, I was leaving Montreal on the highway when a bad snow storm hit.  The right lane was clear, left in about 1-2 inches of fresh snow. 

I went to pass the car in front of me when the back end of my Chrysler 5th Ave spun around and I passed the car backward doing about 70mph.  All I could think about as I went into the grassy ditch between the divided highway were the large concrete overpasses.  I just closed my eyes and prayed I didn't hit anything. 

When I opened my eyes the car was stopped and I was ok, thank God!  Just a minute after this happened 2 guys in a Camaro pulled over and helped get my car out of the ditch I was in.  Great guys!  Didn't ask for any money nor did they take anything as I had my wallet and other money on the passenger seat.  Those guys were a blessing!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007 - 11:58:05 PM »
When I opened my eyes the car was stopped and I was ok, thank God!  Just a minute after this happened 2 guys in a Camaro pulled over and helped get my car out of the ditch I was in.  Great guys!  Didn't ask for any money nor did they take anything as I had my wallet and other money on the passenger seat.  Those guys were a blessing!
See not all Cheby guys are bad :2thumbs:
p.s. Too many scare stories on my end...totaled 3 cars by the time I was 20 etc.. :blah:

Fun reading yours though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007 - 12:00:41 AM by chevyconvert »
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007 - 07:40:41 AM »
See not all Cheby guys are bad :2thumbs:
p.s. Too many scare stories on my end...totaled 3 cars by the time I was 20 etc.. :blah:

Fun reading yours though.

Yeah, they were definately a God send!  :angelwings:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007 - 08:26:02 AM »
Shoot, Jackie your story makes ME want to cry   :'( :'(

No scary stories from me, and I hope I never have to tell one 

71challengher

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007 - 04:37:58 PM »
Shoot, Jackie your story makes ME want to cry   :'( :'(

No scary stories from me, and I hope I never have to tell one 
Sorry :( if you saw the pics of me in the hospital you would cry.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007 - 05:38:04 PM by 71ChallengeHer »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007 - 05:35:17 PM »
It is a hard road to get better after a bad accident but I am glad you made it Jackie
 I can`t think of anythign in particular here , I have been in many accidents but have never been charged , it always seems to be the other persons fault , I haver been able to avoid lots more & continually seem to be first at an accident scene
 I have been sliding sideways while towing a car with the truck & trailer compeletly 90* across a highway at 60 mph after a transport went by & pulled my trailer with it .
 I have had the trailer swinging out of control behind my truck again after a transport went by for ove 2 miles using 3 lanes to control it with no way to get it back straight , I finally tapped the brakes & piled into the ditch with my truck ontop of my trailer .
 I have slid for 5 miles down hill towards a river on freezing rain in a transport with a 70 ' building on the trailer just barely at the edge of control & just made the corner before sliding into the river good thing no one was coming !! .
 I have also slid down a slimilar but steeper hill for a 1/4 mile in an unloaded transport toward a river in -50 weather , I touched the brake & it started to jack knife so I released threw the cab into a slide & hit the trailer brakes to bring the trailer around the corner behind me , how I made it I still am not sure       :dunno:
 I also missed a shift in a transport I never drove before on an icy hill & couldn`t catch a lower gear before losing momentum , I couldn`t get up the hill at all , I couldn`t get chains on without being able to move so I tried to back down the hill but the trailer slide off into the ditch & almost rolled , took me 4 hrs to get out of that jam using another winch truck
 there is no reason why I should still be alive , moving camps in the oilfield alone I have had many close calls & was never at ease
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007 - 08:21:32 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t