Author Topic: 1970 6 cylinder Barracuda. Driver quality with some (minor?) rust issues.  (Read 5476 times)

Offline willhaven

I've got a lead on a possible first car for me. I've been waiting and lurking here and in the Dodge Charger forums for the past 2.5/3 years wanting a muscle car and the time is almost right.

He says it needs quarters, some trunk work and the rotten frame rail pictured. Do they even make a replacement for the frame rail shown, or would that have to be fabricated?

The gutters of the trunk look spotty and are probably rusted enough to need new metal as well (but at least it appears Goodmark makes the part).

The interior of the car is very clean. The seats and panels all look really solid and clean, the carpet looks presentable. A/C car with console and an automatic transmission. The car is almost all there and is basically bone stock. The only missing part I noticed is the trunk lock. The car looks fairly presentable from the outside and the grille and trim work look to be intact and straight.

How much do you all think the car is worth? How much would you expect it to cost to have a good shop replace the frame rail, quarters and fix the trunk pan and gutters? Low and high estimates would be nice.

Keep in mind that the car is supposedly a reliable driver and shouldn't need much attention. I could drive it home after buying.

Thanks!

-Phil

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: 1970 6 cylinder Barracuda. Driver quality with some (minor?) rust issues.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007 - 05:35:28 PM »
I would have to put it in the $6000 to $8000 range.  :biggrin:

They make most of the peices you ned to fix the rusted areas.

What are your plans for it?  Big block? or keeping the six cly?  :cooldancing:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007 - 05:54:11 PM »
Not sure really. I expect some money in the next couple of weeks. How much will determine my plans.

Ideally I'd like to get a relatively solid (this car) driver to putz around with while I take a solid base model '71 Barracuda do a custom job with it (shaved door handles and signal lights, modern Hemi, modern brakes and suspension parts and such). But that's best case scenario. :)

If cash flow isn't what I hope, I'd take this car, get the structural issues fixed, then just get a feel for the car and the required maintenance before really committing to anything too crazy. This would be my first "muscle" car, so I'm in uncharted territory.

If I had my best case scenario and had this as a driver while making a custom '71, I'd either pass the car along to someone else on the board when the '71 was finished or, if I was crazy and had the money, I'd make a modernized AAR clone out of it.

I may be getting too excited about this particular car though. Just the fact that it's so close makes my mind race. :biggrin:

Thanks for your estimate as well.

Offline moparnocar

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007 - 06:00:36 PM »
I would say that's a good estimate for price.. The rotted part is the torsion bar cross member. I think they make a cap.. but I would say best bet is to replace the whole x-member. IF u were to build a car like u talk. I think this would be best to modernize all u want.. As far as the body shop price and all. That's hard to estimate.. Everyones different..

Offline willhaven

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007 - 06:08:24 PM »
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to cut up and shave a 340 car or even a 318 car if I could get away with it. The problem with 318 and /6 cars is that most of them you see for sale have either been restored and cloned into more expensive cars (that extra investment wouldn't be worth reversing for a custom), or they're original and need a LOT of work (which I really don't want to have to do).

While this one surely has its problems, it doesn't look too bad at least.

And BTW, the price they want is almost double your estimate. :eek4:

We'll see though. I just hope it's still there when I'm ready to buy.

Offline hookem78613

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007 - 01:49:06 PM »
I agree...I would definitely look it over with a fine tooth comb also.  with that rotten frame rail it might have significant other damage lurking under bondo and paint.  Always expect to spend twice what you "PLAN" on spending to do one of these cars.  It usually works out that way for me.

Good luck...not to many 70's out there for a decent price.  16K is way too much though.
74 Barracuda Drag Car - Big Block /727
68 Charger R/T - 440 Stroker / 727

Offline willhaven

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007 - 07:51:46 PM »
The local body shop charges $65/hr.

Any rough estimates on how much it would cost me to get the quarters, cross member and trunk pan/gutters replaced?

$2,000? $5,000? I really have no idea how much work something like this would take. Any experts care to chime in?

Offline hookem78613

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007 - 12:02:00 AM »
If you goal is a driver quality car then it shouldn't cost you too much.  I say 2-400 dollars plus parts per quarter panel. The truck should cost you a couple hundred bucks plus parts but I have no idea about the frame rail. It may be repairable instead of replacing it. it looks pretty bad though.  I'll take a WAG (wild a$$ guess) and say the major work above can be done for 1000.00 plus parts.  I think if you ask someone to do it have the quote it by the job and not bill by the hour.  That is when it gets really expensive!  And dont pay till you are satisfied with the work done.

Hookem
74 Barracuda Drag Car - Big Block /727
68 Charger R/T - 440 Stroker / 727

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007 - 12:28:59 AM »
If it helps I recently paid 9k for a 70 with a 318. The only real bosy work needed is the passenger fender and a little on the header panel, and the only rust is the trunk needs replacing, everything else is solid and straight, and the car was complete.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007 - 09:43:15 AM »
I see it's on e-bay now.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007 - 10:20:05 AM »
Yeah, still too much money though. With those rust issues and the knowledge of $65/hr from a local restoration shop, I'm definitely going to pass on this one. It just wouldn't be worth the investment unless I could only afford to let repairs and upgrades trickle in slowly.

Luckily though, I've just been funded into a much higher price bracket (as evidenced by my "3 steps to owning a Cuda" signature). I'll be able to afford a much nicer car in a couple weeks time. :bigsmile:

It was mostly tempting because the car was located ~35mi away.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007 - 10:21:46 AM by willhaven »