Author Topic: Can someon confirm leaf spring segments for me  (Read 2363 times)

Offline TrakHor

Can someon confirm leaf spring segments for me
« on: February 14, 2007 - 07:46:46 PM »
B/E body have 22 front and 36 rear
A body has 20 front and 35 rear?

Thanks
Jason

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Can someon confirm leaf spring segments for me
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007 - 04:50:52 AM »
From the chassis book;

20 front, 35 rear-A body
24 front, 34 rear-FJM body
22 front, 35 rear-E body
22 front, 36 rear-65-79 B body
21 front, 35 rear-64-65 B body
20 front, 35 rear-62-63 B body

So no, B and E body springs are lot identical, despite stories to the contrary. This also means is your choosing super stock springs, you have to make sure you get the right set as there are different ones for B and E body applications, even though the catalog does not define them as different.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 - 06:50:07 PM by HP2 »

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007 - 06:10:30 AM »
From the chassis book;

22 front, 35 rear-A body
24 front, 34 rear-FJM body
22 front, 35 rear-E body
22 front, 36 rear-65-79 B body
21 front, 35 rear-64-65 B body
20 front, 35 rear-62-63 B body

So no, B and E body springs are lot identical, despite stories to the contrary. This also means is your choosing super stock springs, you have to make sure you get the right set as there are different ones for B and E body applications, even though the catalog does not define them as different.

So when vendors say that you must run the extended lenght hanger on the front they are most likely selling me early B-body springs, conversely if I find a set of A-body springs they will bolt right in?

Thanks
Jason

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007 - 06:51:37 AM »
No. Those lengths I posted were all for the OEM spring lengths, which would apply if you were purchasing factory style XHD spring packs or original rate, restoration spring packs.

If they are trying to sell you a 2" extended hanger, then that would necessitate using a) super stock springs or b) a body springs. SS and A body springs will not just bolt into a B or E body without the extended hanger. E body XHD springs will bolt in with no changes. B body XHD springs will bolt into an E body but will put additional angle on the shackle,which isn't great, but is workable. You cannot put E body springs in a B body. It screws up their shackle angle by having it pivot the wrong way because of the shorter rear segment.

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007 - 07:50:48 AM »
No. Those lengths I posted were all for the OEM spring lengths, which would apply if you were purchasing factory style XHD spring packs or original rate, restoration spring packs.

If they are trying to sell you a 2" extended hanger, then that would necessitate using a) super stock springs or b) a body springs. SS and A body springs will not just bolt into a B or E body without the extended hanger. E body XHD springs will bolt in with no changes. B body XHD springs will bolt into an E body but will put additional angle on the shackle,which isn't great, but is workable. You cannot put E body springs in a B body. It screws up their shackle angle by having it pivot the wrong way because of the shorter rear segment.

With that being said I assume that replacement A-body and SS springs are the same as each other but not the same as the orginal A-body length. Which according to the numbers above, the original spring lengths/XHD  are the same between A body and E body.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007 - 08:26:09 AM »
Ahhh, I see now. I made a typo. E and later B body front segments are 24, not 22. Sorry about the confusion. thats what I get for logging in before my coffee is ready.  :eek4:

Super stock are the exact same dimensions as A body springs, heavy duty or otherwise. This is why the Ss springs bolt into A bodies, but require the longer hanger to fit into B and E bodied vehicles.

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 - 08:29:52 AM »
Ahhh, I see now. I made a typo. E and later B body front segments are 24, not 22. Sorry about the confusion. thats what I get for logging in before my coffee is ready.  :eek4:

Super stock are the exact same dimensions as A body springs, heavy duty or otherwise. This is why the Ss springs bolt into A bodies, but require the longer hanger to fit into B and E bodied vehicles.

Ok, now we are on same page..... That makes more sense. I'm actually getting my springs from Landrum, and I needed to know what my options were.
All clear now, thanks.
Jason

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007 - 08:43:48 AM »

Actually you were right the first time, the stock B&E springs are 22' on the front. The S/S springs are the same length as the A body springs (20"). The S/S springs came about from racers like Sox&Martin building spring packs for their race cars using the main spring from the A body cars to take advantage of the shorter front section to reduce axle windup on launch. The S/S springs use the same size front bolt as the B&E body stock springs, whereas the factory A body springs used a smaller front bolt.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007 - 09:00:08 AM »
Actually you were right the first time, the stock B&E springs are 22' on the front. The S/S springs are the same length as the A body springs (20"). The S/S springs came about from racers like Sox&Martin building spring packs for their race cars using the main spring from the A body cars to take advantage of the shorter front section to reduce axle windup on launch. The S/S springs use the same size front bolt as the B&E body stock springs, whereas the factory A body springs used a smaller front bolt.

So regarless of typographical errors there is a two inch difference between e body and a body therefore if I want ot run a spring with a 20" front segment  I need the extended hanger?

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007 - 09:14:03 AM »
So regarless of typographical errors there is a two inch difference between e body and a body therefore if I want ot run a spring with a 20" front segment  I need the extended hanger?

That's correct. If you do have S/S springs in the car already then you will also have the extended hangers too.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007 - 09:25:03 AM »
No s/s springs here, they are the originals to the best of my knowledge. As one of my earlier post stated I'm geting some from Landrum.
Thanks
Jason

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007 - 06:50:55 PM »
Updated my originalpost with 20" a body and 22 inch B/E body lengths.

Sorry about the mix up.

TC