Author Topic: funniest car deal you ever did, buying or selling....  (Read 1901 times)

Offline DAYTONA

funniest car deal you ever did, buying or selling....
« on: February 14, 2007 - 08:18:23 PM »
...I have bought 2 cars thru the years at "yard sales"....a 78 Vette Pace Car and a 66 Ply Sat. conv.

...but the strangest deal ever was a 69 Dodge Coronet I bought many years ago...it had been lightly wrecked and I bought it for $150. just for parts....it was perfect from the windshield back and only light damage on the nose...a neighbor kid was just getting his license and wanted the car really bad....so I sold it to him for $50 and a box full of old model cars his dad had built 30 years earlier....he repaired the Coronet and used it for years, a very sharp street machine

pictured below, the "yard sale" cars.....

the Vette was between tables and racks of clothing in the guys back yard, the Plymouth was actually stored in a shed a few blocks from the guys house, but was advertised along with the other junk in his garage/yard

Offline JCWCuda

Re: funniest car deal you ever did, buying or selling....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 - 08:46:30 PM »
I had a 76 Charger Sport (Fury Body Style) with a Bad tranny and a 2 year old paint job that a guy i worked with wanted in the worst way so he offered me a 67 Barracuda Formula S and 500 dollars  :2thumbs: Damn i wish i woulda kept the Cuda  :banghead:

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 - 08:50:24 PM »
Im goona start checking the paper for yard sales...  :bigsmile:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007 - 09:42:41 PM »
 When I was about 20, I was at a swap meet just looking for parts when I see a black 67 fastback Barracuda on a trailer, it was kinda rough, but since I've always like those fastbacks I wanted to check it out for the heck of it.
  I look under the hood and it's got a cool little 273 hyper pack motor with headers, but no exhaust. The guy started it up and it ran, just smoked a bit.
 The interior needed carpet and some new front seat covers, and a headliner, but it did have a center console and the back seat was fine. I asked the guy how much and he said he didn't want to take it back home, so he'd take $300.00 for it. I didn't even try to talk him down, I just tossed $300.00 at him and got out of there before he changed his mind.
 My friend was like "how are you going to get it home it doesn't have mufflers and we don't have a trailer" I  just said hell with it and drove it the 30 freeway miles home uncapped.
 The only thing I did once it was home was get some mufflers put on it and gave it a tuneup and then I drove the tires off it as my daily driver for a few years until I traded it to one of my good friends for a 3.91 Third member for my Challenger.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007 - 09:43:15 PM »
Traded an AKAI amplifier for a 67 Chevelle 327 in 1980, then traded the Chevelle for a motor, then the motor for a .......

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007 - 12:04:39 AM »
My father traded a non-running Chevy 350 4-bolt main engine for a '73 Fury with a 440 auto.  The Fury was still driveable, but it leaked a lot of oil.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 - 12:06:21 AM by jacksboys »
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

crazy larry

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 - 07:59:56 PM »
            More yard sales in my future that satellite is awesome :drunk:

71challengher

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007 - 08:19:02 PM »
Back in '86 , I traded a perfect 70 Barracuda dash pad for a 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe. It was a complete car, too. :bigsmile:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007 - 08:26:36 PM »
I've had a few.  One of the best was with a 73 Rallye.  I drove the car for several years and then sold it.  I never knew the guy who bought it from me never titled the car.  He just drove it for 2- 1/2 years in my name.  He ended up in financial trouble and was evicted from his home.  When the police ran the Challengers' VIN they called me to come and pick up my car.  I did and drove it 3 more years before selling it again.  Another time my buddy and I bought a New Yorker wagon for the 440.  We towed the car to my buddies house and found out the car was full of rats.  My buddies Dad was drunk and started shooting the rats with a 12 guage.  It was a good thing we only wanted the drivetrain out of that wagon.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007 - 08:48:43 PM »
I've had a few.  One of the best was with a 73 Rallye.  I drove the car for several years and then sold it.  I never knew the guy who bought it from me never titled the car.  He just drove it for 2- 1/2 years in my name.  He ended up in financial trouble and was evicted from his home.  When the police ran the Challengers' VIN they called me to come and pick up my car.  I did and drove it 3 more years before selling it again.  Another time my buddy and I bought a New Yorker wagon for the 440.  We towed the car to my buddies house and found out the car was full of rats.  My buddies Dad was drunk and started shooting the rats with a 12 guage.  It was a good thing we only wanted the drivetrain out of that wagon.

Both those deals are hilarious!   :roflsmiley:  Especially the rats!  I've had a similar experience, maybe thats why its so funny  :smilielol:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007 - 10:53:18 PM »
Back in the mid 70's, I came in to work, and heard one of the girls saying to one of the guys, "Sure, I'll buy it for 500 bucks". When she left, I asked him what they were talking about. He said that he was selling his fully loaded 71 Caprice Classic with a 454 in it. So I said "Hey, If she doesn't want it, I'll take it". He was selling it because he was going to college, and wasn't going to need it. It was actually his fathers car, but it was his to use.

So anyway, several weeks later, he tells me that he is getting ready to go to school, and the girl decided she didn't want it, so I could buy it. I told him I would take it. He said that he would be leaving at the end of the week, so we could take care of it on Friday.

Friday rolls around, and he gives me a call, and asks if I still want it. I tell him that I still do, so he says "My dad said that you can just say you paid $500 for it to save money on the taxes." This doesn't seem right to me, so I say "But I thought I was buying it for $500". There is silence on the other end, then he says, "No the price is $2500." So I say, "Wow,, I'm sorry. I heard you two guys talking, and I thought the price was $500. I can't afford that, sorry."

Turns out, the girl was being sourcastic when she said she would buy it for $500. So the kid calls me back, and says that he talked with his dad, and his dad wanted rid of the car, so since they didn't have any choice, I could have it for $500. I could never understand why his dad just didn't try to sell it elsewhere, but I'm glad he didn't. Turns out he was some high paid executive, and probably didn't need the money anyways. Maybe he was just being nice, and cutting a young guy a break. Still one of my most memorable stories, however. It was an awesome car, and I drove it for several years.

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007 - 11:03:25 PM »
My first E body that I ever bought was a 71 Challenger R/T. I initially bought it for parts for my 71 Roadrunner. I needed a motor/tranny and bought the Challenger with a spare motor for $200.00....I decided after looking at the Challenger that I would keep it intact and run it instead. Such fun that car was!
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007 - 12:17:09 AM »
My first E body that I ever bought was a 71 Challenger R/T. I initially bought it for parts for my 71 Roadrunner. I needed a motor/tranny and bought the Challenger with a spare motor for $200.00....I decided after looking at the Challenger that I would keep it intact and run it instead. Such fun that car was!

Is this the one I know about with the reflector tape as one of the hood inserts?
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007 - 03:40:14 AM »
My best deal was trading a 1970 swinger 318 auto for a 1969 440 six pac superbee 4 gear, then I traded it for 2 1970 cudas..1 auto + 1 4 gear, only I wish now I would have been able to see into the future.......Kim.....
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007 - 06:29:22 AM »
I tried to sell my 67 Furry III last year, the guy was going to take the engine out of his 72 challenger and "get rid of the body"

I offered an even trade my car for his body...

he ended up not having room for either car at his new house, and I ened up with both..$1000 for the car engine and all.  overall it was a nice deal, but I now have one more, not one less car in the yard.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.