Author Topic: You've got to be kidding me!!!!!GM in talks to buy Chrysler  (Read 3642 times)

Offline tumbob

Re: You've got to be kidding me!!!!!GM in talks to buy Chrysler
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007 - 09:56:36 PM »
I saw this today...Is this better then the Chinese company that was looking to partner or buy? Would GM bland down the new Challenger like they do with everything they touch? think about any GMC or Chevy pickup dash. it has been the same for 25 years...reddish foam and very plain lame...the new dead GTO?...a sad day.....we will see
09 Challenger SE
68 Charger 383
70 Challenger Convertible 340
72 Cuda 340

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007 - 05:10:29 AM »
It seems as though GM is not "liquid" enough to purchase Chrysler. It sounds as though they may be cooperatively working on an SUV project. Any thoughts on this?

Offline matt63

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007 - 10:06:22 AM »
It's not just the Japanese as the Korean and soon to be Chinese cars are on the way.  If the big 3 band together there will be a huge shrinkage in the American/Canadian car industry IMHO.  This may be unavoidable and it's already happening with the massive layoffs.   The only choice maybe how it happens.  Can you say "generic cars"?  A Canadian auto union guy was on the news this week complaining about the lack of government support and protection for the industry.  He certainly sounded panicked.  GM and Ford do have themselves to blame when you look at some of vehicles they have made.  Perhaps they should run some of their new vehicle ideas past their customers before going to production.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007 - 03:20:04 PM »

Hey we could get GM, Ford, and Mopar together... call them... Amecican Motor Corp!
AMC is Back Boys! :2thumbs:

I don't think that's a bad idea if things turn for the worse. I'm sure the 3 boards would rather unite then fizzle out.
Japan is leading the way and has been for a long, long, time now. Cheap affordable cars. From super quick super-car performance for cheap with good looks (IMO) to bus poo shaped eco boxes made for the cleaner & greener person in mind.

IMO the Challenger couldn't have came soon enough....if they stuff this up and build/change the shape etc....they deserve to lose sales and close or merge. I'm sure they won't, I hope they don't. USA car companies need to up the stakes again. Ford started it first with the Mustang, now DC & the Challenger & possibly Chev with the Camaro.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

cudahob

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007 - 06:59:57 PM »
-

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007 - 09:10:16 PM »
Maybe we can spread the word.

Buy American and support your own country!

1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007 - 09:43:18 PM »
I have mopars and a pontiac, fine by me!  I can ls2 my challenger then and will be ok :roflsmiley:
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007 - 04:38:26 AM »
Maybe we can spread the word.

Buy American and support your own country!

:iagree: ALthough it`s tough to find items made in the USA anymore.I have been buying a new Dodge or Jeep every 3-4 years since `87.I t was bad enough when the german Daimler company bought Chrylser but I`ll be worse if some asian manufacturer buys them.I blame a lot of the US car manufacturers trouble competing with the asian comapnys on the unions in this country-the high wages and benefits make it very hard  to compete price wise.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007 - 07:11:03 AM »
I saw this on the front page of a newspaper yesterday, when i was on my way to Finland, which was the least bad time to get aware of this, because after arrival, i could drink to forget.

You might be inclined to think that i'm still drunk, but i'm trying not to have sentimental values here. And besides, right now there's only room for the hang-over.
I believe Renault-Nissan would be better than GM. I fear that GM would put Chrysler cars below the Generals own.
You think the new Challenger would be allowed to outperform the Camaro, if such a strong competitor would be released at all?
Viper SRT vs Z06?
Nissan got a pick-up that probably snatches some potential Ram customers, Renault got the Espace which competes with the Voyager.
Speaking of basic transportation contraptions, the Caliber and that whatsitsname competes with the similarily sized Nissans in the US. In Europe will also Renault compete, but for the more up-market models, Renault just does'nt have any serious contenders. Ok, Nissan have the Infiniti line, and i don't have any idea about how it appeals to the same buyers who consider Chyslers upmarket cars.
The people who's into tuned FWD sport-compacts don't look at bigger RWD's (Well, at least not until they've seen the light, as in tail-lights).

Also, Renault have earlier proven that they dare to release cars which at the time of release would be very ahead of time, sometimes they succeed (Megane,Clio), sometimes they don't (Avantime, Vel Satis).

So, i think that the cars from Chryslers and Renault-Nissan appeals to different buyers in a larger scale than between Chrysler and GM.
Also, GM is'nt the financially strongest these days. A merge between two financially weak manufacturers...  Studebaker-Packard anyone?
Ok, Nash-Hudson survived for a while as AMC, but the emphasis is on survive, as opposed to live well. And via AMC, Chrysler and Renault got a tiny bit of common history.

Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline matt63

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007 - 08:08:10 AM »
:iagree: ALthough it`s tough to find items made in the USA anymore.I have been buying a new Dodge or Jeep every 3-4 years since `87.I t was bad enough when the german Daimler company bought Chrylser but I`ll be worse if some asian manufacturer buys them.I blame a lot of the US car manufacturers trouble competing with the asian comapnys on the unions in this country-the high wages and benefits make it very hard  to compete price wise.

The North American manufacturers have to build cars people want first of all.  My last 3 cars were Audi, BMW, Saab and Volkswagon.  I look at the big 3 every time although I doubt I will ever buy a Ford and GM's styling is bland.  I thought about a 300 but....
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007 - 10:47:17 AM »
I blame a lot of the US car manufacturers trouble competing with the asian comapnys on the unions in this country-the high wages and benefits make it very hard  to compete price wise.

I would agree.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007 - 12:42:45 PM »
I like the brothers band together idea.

Then  in  a sea of mergers, aquisitions, layoffs, combined efforts, we could really be American Motors all over again.
That would be cool.

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007 - 09:40:31 PM »
To be honest looking at corporate earning reports, I don't think GM has the change to buy Chrysler in any way shape or form.  Considering Delphi filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, usually your not looking to drop a few billion on another company if you can't keep your own companys afloat. :2cents:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007 - 11:55:37 PM »
Now you can throw Hyundai into the mix

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/18/the-plot-thickens-hyundai-may-be-angling-for-chrysler/

It's obvious to me that the other manufactures smell blood in the water and someone real soon is gonna buy up the whole Mopar franchise. Maybe Diamler put the word out   :violin:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007 - 12:03:59 AM »
A few sayings that could apply if chrysler got bought out by chevy

Yeah, it's got a 383
It ran it's best time ever just before it blew up
The rules have changed, do not pass go, do not collect anything
Yeah, it's got power pack heads, and a posi
Like a rock- it wont roll

M  my
O  Ole