Author Topic: Narrowing an E-body 8.75  (Read 1275 times)

Offline 73cudakid

Narrowing an E-body 8.75
« on: February 22, 2007 - 11:56:53 AM »
I have an 8.75 rear housing from an E-body that I want narrowed down to the same dimensions as the A-body for my dakota drag truck project. I've never narrowed a rear end before and was wondering how hard it would be. Should I buy new housing ends from Summit or try and reuse the ends if I can? Also, If I narrow it to the A-body dimensions, then I should be able to use the A-body axles with no problems...right?

Thanks
Dave

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Narrowing an E-body 8.75
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007 - 12:30:05 PM »
There are some problems...
The A-body 8 3/4 axles are only availble with 5 on 4 wheel bolt patterns so your gonna need to buy aftermarket axles

I would also buy the aftermarket axle ends. stronger, better and easier to install

As cheap as Dana 60 truck rears are why not just install one of those with all the stuff your gonna have to buy anyway?

I am a big fan of 8 3/4 rears when stock but the DANA is a much better deal when modified for racing

Offline 73cudakid

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007 - 01:51:31 PM »
I already have an extra complete housing with center chunk and brake setup. I just need to narrow it. I will be buying aftermarket 5 on 4.5 axles for the A-body. Im trying to make my buddies 11.8 sec 03 cobra look silly at the end of the quarter when I beat him with a 400 big block dakota that i spent less than 3 grand on. 10% of what hes spent on his "phord" mustang cobra. Whats the best way to cut the axle tubes?? Hoping that a big pipe cutter will do the job...since it will be the straightest way I'll be able to cut it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007 - 02:00:41 PM by 73cudakid »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007 - 10:41:08 AM »
I would try to reuse the housing ends as they use the tapered brgs , the aftermarket ones usually only work with the green brg , I would order new axles to get the 4.5" bolt pattern but nyou could redrill A body axles & use them I guess
I have never tried a tube cutter on a n axle tube , it could work but the tube is very thick , I would use a band saw

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t