Author Topic: Offset Shackle Install  (Read 1420 times)

nivvy

Offset Shackle Install
« on: February 22, 2007 - 04:00:06 PM »
Well when I originally installed the 3/4 relo kit there was no load on the springs or shackles...So my question is that I want to install these new 1 1/4 relo shackles but when I unbolt them they wont spring out or anything will they?

Im thinking I should jack up the rear of the car and put jackstands on the frame so there is no load on the springs other than 8 3/4 weight...and unbolt the shackle and replace with new one?
think it will work?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Offset Shackle Install
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007 - 10:43:00 AM »
That will work just take the weight off the springs & hold the diff with the jack

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007 - 11:36:02 AM »
 :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

thx again as always chyrco!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007 - 09:52:15 AM »
Definitely want to unload the springs. Had a buddy of mine that didnt do this and when he took out the last bolt,  :clueless: the spring whipped down shattering his wrist very badly, so please be careful. You have the right instructions!! Good luck! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007 - 12:38:24 PM »
Speaking of rear spring owies..

Years ago I bought a pair of rear springs and put them on the floor of my 4 door car. When I got home I grabbed a spring by one end and pulled it straight out letting the other end hit the dirt.
I wasn't wearing gloves and when the spring hit the ground the leafs opened and closed in a split second tearing off the end of my thumb. About 1/8" x 1/2" an inch of flesh clean off.

I looked like this guy  :stomp:  but doing that sprayed the blood all over the door and ceiling of my garage (some of which is still there)
Talk about a bloody mess

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007 - 05:29:24 AM »
I want to install these new 1 1/4 relo shackles
Who makes the 1 1/4 shackles? I'm always looking for more room for bigger tires.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007 - 06:14:33 PM »
I installed my new 1 1/4 offset shackles as opposed to the 3/4 offsets that were on there and it didnt seem to pull the springs off the tires any farther apart ???   the tire on the drivers side is 1/2 off the spring and the tire on the passengers side is 1/4 off the spring ???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007 - 11:49:41 PM »
But you didn`t move the spring pads welded to the diff so how could the spring move inward ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t