Author Topic: Is it okay to go on other peoples property?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Is it okay to go on other peoples property?
« on: February 24, 2007 - 12:21:49 AM »
There is a post on here about someone finding a Superbird, and taking liberties with it. I know that it got a little out of hand and Rev locked the post, but I think that it's a very important topic that should be discussed. I'll start.

I feel that no matter how much you like or appreciate vintage vehicles, there is no good enough excuse to violate someones personal property or space. Some people think that just because a car is out in the open, it is fair game, and they have the right to do whatever they want. They feel that they have the right to tresspass on other peoples property, and lift tarps, open doors and hoods, etc. I have to say, that in my opinion, this type of attitude is disrespectful, arrogant, and just plain inconsiderate. It's this type of callous, inconsiderate behavior by a few, that spoil it for everyone else, and ultimately cause everyone else to pay the price when new laws and regulations get passed. I have several project cars that sit out in the open. I'm not letting them sit there to draw attention to them, or provide fodder for someones amusement. They are there because I don't have any other place to put them, I don't want to pay for storage, and it is my right to put them wherever I want, and to have them left alone. I have them covered as best as I can, yet that doesn't stop people from thinking they have the right to tresspass on my property. I've had people lift and move tarps, open hoods, open doors, and crawl around inside, overtop, and underneath the cars, all without my permission. How would those same people like it if I just walked into their house or garage, and started rooting through their belongings? How would they like it if I just opened the doors on their regular vehicle and started rooting around in it while it sits in their driveway? Just because a car is out in the open on private property doesn't mean anyone has the right to bother it in any way. And just because I'm not home or can't come to the door at the moment, does not mean it's okay to do whatever you want. I don't mind people stopping to talk, or make an offer, or even taking pictures from a vantage point on public property, but I draw the line there. And if I tell you I'm not interested in selling, don't keep pestering me because it only makes me more determined to never sell it to you. It's because of these immature, inconsiderate jerks that I have had to put up "No Tresspasing" signs, as well as "Do Not Touch" and "Not For Sale" signs. But even that doesn't seem to be enough, so I've also got an agreement with the local police to apprehend and detain anyone they see on my property if I'm not with them, and to contact me for further instructions. I usually just let them sweat for a while, talk to them, and then have them let go, but so far, six people have been arrested because they came back, and did the same thing again. Stay away from my stuff. Period!

Now that I'm down from my soapbox, I'd like to hear what others think.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Is it okay to go on other peoples property?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007 - 12:28:06 AM »

If you feel this needs to be discussed I advise you [Copy] and [Paste] your post into another thread with a poll. You'll get no where like this, just arguments. At least with a poll you have it in plain view for everyone to see so eventually there will be a factual "winner". Once you've copied it, you the original thread starter, can close or delete the thread. ;)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007 - 04:26:10 AM »
I'll admit I walked into a yard or 2 to get a closer look at a classic Muscle car sitting outside.  Of course, I also knocked on the door and rang the doorbell in order to talk to the owner, who was never home....

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007 - 04:38:51 AM »
You get no argument from me Jery. Private is just that!! I once had a problem with a street bum using my swimming pool to bathe in.  :swear: I finally caught him and he was apprehended by the police. You feel violated when people infringe on you personal property and it is wrong. How hard is it to ask?? You wanna take a look see?? Ask!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.

Matt

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007 - 04:43:18 AM »

I don't agree with it. We've got a decent amount of cash on wheels at our place and to see someone walking around my house when I arrive back would have my blood boiling. Either phone call to police or a piece of 4x4 will be my first two options. Nothing wrong with people wanting to have a look but as Matt said, just ask. If no ones home, come back.

We had a problem with a 10 year old next door neighbour. A little brat boy who kept kicking his ball over the fence.
He'd jump the fence and throw it back over. Problem being we had dogs and he'd usually never close the gate if he came through the front without asking. Dogs could bite him or worse for us, run away. A loud manly "Hey, you ask if you want that ball mate" fixed that problem for good. That and a word to his parents.

:2cents:

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007 - 04:46:31 AM »
All I got to say about this is................................................ :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

I'll try to bow out gracefully, and respectfully by no reply.
I know where this will head, and I want no part of it.

:cheers: to all

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007 - 04:48:35 AM »
Just a word to the wise,

It's a very good possibility that if you come snooping around my property without asking, it's trespassing.  It will get you shot,  guess how I know ?

You come to the door and ask, you'll get a very warm welcome and a "sure, go ahead"

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007 - 05:48:57 AM »
Taking pics from the side of the road or going up and knocking on someones door is fine but poking around and lifting tarps,opening doors or otherwise touching someones elses property is at the least disrespectfull.If I ever caught anyone poking around in my yard I would go ballistic!I had an air grabber hood stolen from a fenced in back yard a long time ago and even if you were only taking pics I would assume you were up to no good.If I`m home and you want to talk Mopars I`ll show you all my cars but if no ones home leave it alone!   :swear:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007 - 05:52:58 AM »

If no ones home, leave it alone! 

Example 32-C, Figure A: How a bumper sticker is made.  :thumbsup:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007 - 05:57:11 AM »
 :biggrin:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:20:15 AM »
::whistling in the corner:: :woo:

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:37:27 AM »
i don't even my family or their friends opening doors, hoods or leaning on my cars with their jewelry and belt buckles, purses slapping against the sides of the car - you get the picture - all u got to do is ASK to see the cars  :villagers:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007 - 07:26:09 AM »
Asking permission is one thing, artistic photography is another.

I try to do both. I beleive that you are correct. It IS disrespectful.

On occassion, I have done it. :nono: yes, tresspassing. But I don't touch. I just point and click for artistic merit.
I have been chased away before, and I know what they are thinking.

We are just curious by nature. Some of us take more....liberties....than others.

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007 - 08:51:18 AM »
I think the poll idea would of been better.

I can not type what I am thinking right now. Tress passers have stolen many items from me costing me 10's of thousands of dollars. Take cars out of the picture and add anything else. It's all the same.

Don't tress pass and respect other peoples property.

If you see something or want to inquire, knock on the door first

Even cameras have a zoom lense if needed.

Don't assume it's ok to look on your own without permission

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007 - 08:52:57 AM »
Sheeeeeeeet don't get me started on this one. But Too late! Granted I've ALWAYS got an eye open for cars, and have posted many pics of my "backroad " adventures on thi site. Ever notice that my pics are always "from the road"?  Any way be a recycler once... OMFG!!! If it's not behind the fence people think it's fair game or worse. And there were other times when a 10 foot fence made no difference! BIG is not the type of guy who walks softy and carries a big stick. BIG walks fast and carries a 9mm if the situation dictates . Done no games. Now I don't want the anti-firearms fans of this site to "get up in arms"  so 2 speak. I have NEVER had to use a firearm in the couse of business. But have been in some strange situations afterhours that could end up who knows where. Nothing like that phone call from ADT at 3 A.M. BTW the police in Milwaukee no longer are first responders to alarm calls. Fortunately it dosen't happen very often. I could right a book on just what I've encountered on Sunday afternoons. I am a very firm believer in property rights and the right to protect whats yours. I could go on and on and on and on. I 'm sure this will ...   :stirpot:  
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl