Author Topic: Is it okay to go on other peoples property?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
Re: Is it okay to go on other peoples property?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007 - 09:04:22 AM »
I said what I said in the Superbird thread.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline MG440RT

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007 - 09:06:28 AM »
Threads like this one lead to brain damage...oh wait , it's already too late for some...

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007 - 09:31:00 AM »
I'll stay out of this one, Thank you all the same. :popcorn:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007 - 09:32:27 AM »
If I'm not available, and you feel the need to poke around my stuff or worse, feel free to discuss the matter with my very hungry and angry guarddog #1.  If you can reason with her to the point that you're allowed to continue standing on the property, you better be ready to reason with guarddog #2, even bigger version of #1.  Failing that, if I'm home, and you don't ask, you can reason with me, the 2 dogs, and my 12 guage.  Fair warning has been posted.

Don't do it.  Trespass has cost me in the past, it won't in the future.

But that's just my personal opinion.  Mileage may vary.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007 - 09:40:45 AM »
Lets keep this thread civil . . . .   

I know around here in Michigan,  you will get shot.  I have heard of people getting shot just last year for tresspassing.  I think it was two of them . .  one was killed and the other messed up pretty bad.  Not a good idea in my book! 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007 - 09:45:19 AM by 4Cruizn »

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007 - 01:43:31 PM »
Threads like this one lead to brain damage...oh wait , it's already too late for some...

And I think we can all agree who it is, MG440RT.

I think I've proven my point adequately.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline bigblock4speedman

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007 - 03:18:56 PM »
I'll try and not make this too long, because it should be easily understood by everyone! The facts are simple and true, as said, you wouldn't want anyone going through your stuff, maybe even some might even take a SO CALLED LITTLE SOMETHING!  This is not directed at ANYONE HERE.  I can appreciate the pictures from the road, or if the owner let a person get closer and take more.  BUT, treaspassing is serious and people CAN AND SOMETIMES DO get shot or hurt doing this.  People MUST respect other's property, it's not hard to do, and it's the right thing to do.  I have fences, signs, guard dogs, guns and God to protect what I have worked hard for.  It's a real bummer that you need a fence, signs and dogs, because people will just walk on your property and do as they please, it's a terrible lack of respect!  Just ask, and me and most others will show people their cars.  Even worse, the people in power are not only trying hard to take away American's guns, they are working on makeing trespass wiolations punishment less, working toward NO PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNERSHIP!  Seriously, as Americans it's our duty to tell congress NO to these anti-American policys they are trying to push.  Let's keep America and the constitution we live by as it was formed!  Most important, respect people and their property.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007 - 04:46:43 PM »
First. Those saying "someone will get shot on my property" better take a second and realize that if you shoot someone, even shooting AT someone and missing because they're on your property, even if they're stealing will likely put you behind bars. In order to legally shoot someone on your property your life has to be in danger. You pretty much have to blast someone in your bedroom doorway so it's plainly obvious he was breaking in or had the possibility of attacking you.

I've seen a few derelict cars lying about here in NC. I've even seen a 67-69 Barracuda under a tarp in front of a guy's house. I wouldn't dare touch the car or do anything other than knock on the door and ask them about it if I were interested in the car. If they weren't there, I'd leave a note with my contact information and that's it.

I'd be incredibly pissed off if I found some douche routing around through my project cars. :dunno:

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007 - 05:22:44 PM »
There is a strange line between trespassing and just taking a few quick snaps.
For example, if the car is located where you may see it if walking to the main door of the house (in a driveway etc.) I feel its OK to take a few pics of it, aslong as you dont touch it or mess with it or anything. However, if its in a back yard, or you have to lift a tarp or step well off any path to the front door of the house (if there is one) I think it qualifies as trespassing.

However if your out in the middle of nowhere, and theres a car sitting in the middle of a paddock or something, I dont really see a problem with wandering over to have a quick look at it, as long as you dont touch.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:16:35 PM »
I guess it's a matter of respecting other peoples property in my opinion.  How you would want you stuff treated.  At the same time, you never know what's in the mind of someone getting curious about your car, maybe want to steal stuff or the whole car, etc....

If I see a cool car or something, I look from the sidewalk.  If the urge necessitates getting closer to the car, ring the doorbell.  No one home, then walk away or just admire from a far.  I guess I think about how I would feel.

My car is usually parked at the end of my driveway about 100 feet from the sidewalk, covered.  Let's say it's not covered and I came home and someone is looking at my car.  My first reaction is that he's tresspassed and I would be pissed.  He's come pretty far on to my property without permission.

If my car was at the end of the driveway near the sidewalk and the same senario, I came home and saw someone just looking at my car in my driveway, I wouldn't mind so much as I know people are curious and stuff about old cars.

A big definate is not to touch the car unless invited to or unless you ask first.  Even if the car is in a public place, parked by the sidewalk or in a parking lot, I always look from a few feet away with my hands behind my back so if the owner is looking they can feel assured I'm not up to any monkey business.

In the post about the Superbird, from my best judgement, where that car was parked was about 1 car length from the sidewalk.  The distance between the Superbird and the sidewalk was a Jeep Commanche pick up truck from my best estimation looking at the pics. 

If someone walked a couple feet onto my lawn to take pics, I guess I wouldn't mind, even though technically that would be tresspassing.  I'm not talking about coming onto my property and stealing stuff, lifting the hood, touching anything, (Those are another situation) just snapping a few pics.  I would feel like a jerk if he just came up to admire my car and then I tell him to "Get the hell of my lawn!!!". 

We are not talking, going down a driveway, going into someone's garage, hopping a fence, etc....  (Heck, I called the police to see what I can do about people walking thier dogs on my lawn and letting them piss all over it and the police said theres nothing they can do about it...  :blah:  :blah: )

I guess what I'm saying is this was an innocent post that turned into an bad situation.  Let's all just get along!  :cheers:  :bigsmile:

PS-sorry for the long post!!!!!!!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

sleepychallenger

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:45:42 PM »
Wow, i cant believe that someone actually continued this from that other thread. heres my 2 cents. i have gone to many peoples house and looked at their rides wheather they are there or not. normally i will drive by a couple times but if you dont stop and look you may never see it again. normally if i stop and look and no one is around, i will stop back by to find someone just to talk to them more about the car. that is my opinion, as long as you are not a mile back in their yard and digging through the car or opening the hood then i am on the side of go for it with the respect of not touching, just like a car show, look dont touch   :nono:

people have stopped and looked at my car at home, work, and i find them scoping it out at wal mart, not going to throw a fit. never have, as long as someone doesnt break in and they are not touching, then we are all good
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007 - 06:50:42 PM by sleepychallenger »

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:47:50 PM »
I have a private road leading up to my house and it is just that - PRIVATE. Knock on my door ??? I would appreciate it if you stay off of my property altogether unless invited, my front steps are private property as will. I consider myself  very nice and easy to get along with, but my privacy is just that. We pay too much money or give up some conveniences to gain a certain amount of privacy. If it wasn't private there would be a sign out front that says Open to Public. As I grow older I am becoming less and less tolerant of the public. A recluse/hermit/eremite I am not, but when I prefer to be alone then thats the way it is.  

I remind myself of some of those old bastards from when I was younger, but now I see where some of them were coming from.  

sleepychallenger

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:52:29 PM »
I have a private road leading up to my house and it is just that - PRIVATE. Knock on my door ??? I would appreciate it if you stay off of my property altogether unless invited, my front steps are private property as will. I consider myself  very nice and easy to get along with, but my privacy is just that. We pay too much money or give up some conveniences to gain a certain amount of privacy. If it wasn't private there would be a sign out front that says Open to Public. As I grow older I am becoming less and less tolerant of the public. A recluse/hermit/eremite I am not, but when I prefer to be alone then thats the way it is.  

I remind myself of some of those old bastards from when I was younger, but now I see where some of them were coming from.  

so how do folks get a hold of you if they want to say "hey, cool car, whats it got in it" or something along them lines?

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:55:07 PM »
I think that my answering machine says it all - Intended for those pesky telemarketers. If you are a bill collector then the check is in the mail, if you are a charity then I gave at the office, if you are a telemarketer I am broke, if you are a thief then come on over the dog is hungry. So if you want to invade my privacy I still haven't fed that darn dog.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007 - 06:57:23 PM »
love the message. i welcome the conversation myself, but that is my opinion and everyone has their own. i can respect yours. :rofl: