Author Topic: Springtime a coming............  (Read 1775 times)

nivvy

Re: Springtime a coming............
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007 - 08:56:11 PM »
That is insane....The biggest Musky I ever saw was on a wall in wisconsin  69.5 inches  :wow: Epitath said was not caught but found dead on the bank with a huge duck in its mouth !!!

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007 - 12:41:03 PM »
Street, Correct me if I'm wrong, But I think its a Muskellunge attacking what looks like a Pike.

It's hard to tell if the big one in the second pic. is a pike or musky. I'm leaning towards pike though.
Dave

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007 - 01:02:34 PM »
HOLY MOLY ROCKY!!!!those are some huge northerns.second pick i beleive is a northern.look at the spotted white on the gille plate by the eyes.nortern pike...correct me if i'm wrong though.  :thumbsup: i fished rainy lake a few times within the last few years but never caught anything that big.that must have been a blast hauling those in.  :woohoo:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007 - 05:48:33 PM »
Pike are crazy, when I lived in Wisconsin I had a baby pike, honestly no more than six inches hit a double trebble surface bate, he managed to get two of the hooks in his mouth. The lure was nearly as big as he was. And I totally beleive the story about the duck in the muskies mouth. I don't know how big it was but I seen a big northern surface and take a mallard with ease. If they want it they will go after it no matter how big it is, they may not be successful, but they will go after anything if the mood strikes them. But from what I've seen and heard Canada is the fresh water fishing king. Funny, on a side note, I also was told by a friend that he was trolling and had a stupid gull sweep down and hit a lure.  :roflsmiley: For a while he said it look like he was flying a "bird kite".  :roflsmiley: Would have liked to see that,  :smilielol:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007 - 06:39:34 PM »
Funny, on a side note, I also was told by a friend that he was trolling and had a stupid gull sweep down and hit a lure.  :roflsmiley: For a while he said it look like he was flying a "bird kite".  :roflsmiley: Would have liked to see that,  :smilielol:

I've had that happen a lot. When we first set up for trolling and get our lures out before we hook up the down riggers they come flying out of the sky and sweep down to steal your chovie. Now we put the loops of line out first. It's really not fun reeling in a flying bird and have you and a friend wrestle it down trying to get the hook out it.

Even worse was one time a guy hooked a Sea Lion. poor thing was bawling its head off.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007 - 06:53:16 PM »

Yikes! A sea lion, that'd be a good fight. :lol2: Poor thing, you manage to get it off?
Would make an ideal bait.  :naughty:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007 - 07:54:50 PM »
It was some kid on a party boat and he was pulling and pulling on it. The captain came over and cut the line. So this Sea Lion now had a pierced tongue.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007 - 08:19:33 PM »

He'll be fine the hook would rust off within a few months.....  :thumbsup:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007 - 08:21:52 PM »
NZ,

Just wondering out loud here.....   warmer weather is slowly returning to the states.  Is the summer slowly coming to an end in New Zealand?  Just curious.....     :bigshades:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007 - 08:24:56 PM »

Yupe, we have 1 more official day of Summer left, then Autumn (fall).
Doesn't get to cold in winter though, no snow etc. Good fishing 24/7/365  :bananasmi

:cheers:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007 - 11:09:07 PM »
Street, Correct me if I'm wrong, But I think its a Muskellunge attacking what looks like a Pike.

I originally mentioned that it was a musky, but noticed the photo was listed as a huge pike and changed it to that.  Judging from the photos, I'd assume it is a tiger musky, but I wouldn't rule out it being a huge pike either.  I used to hear so many stories around this area with muskies in our local rivers...The biggest being some kid from IL was out in a canoe going down one of our well-known oxbow rivers dangling his fingers across the water when one swam up and bit some fingers clean off.  After seeing just how big these fish can get, let's just say I was very careful ever since when I was out on that river. :-X  There's even a huge pike that resides in a smaller lake we always used to swim in.  My father has hooked it once and kept it on for about 10-15 minutes, but lost it once the fish decided with direction he really wanted to move. (actually pulled the canoe we were in around a little bit...big fish! I figured it was somewhere around 50" judging from the couple times I saw it close-up.)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin