Author Topic: Satin vs Polished finish  (Read 3203 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Satin vs Polished finish
« on: February 24, 2007 - 10:45:07 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm gittin ready to sink some big bucks into some tires and rims. It's been a while since I've purchased any and wondered if anybody had any opinions and/or experience on the durability and maintenance on aluminum rims of a satin or polished finish?? Is polished harder to take care of vs a satin finish??  :eek4: I've had chrome rims where the chrome just flaked off. I don't know if companies have improved on this either, but I am basically looking at aluminum rims. I do like the polished finish, but I'm thinking it's gonna be harder to upkeep than say a satin finish?? Any advice??  :clueless: You guys rock. I luv this site!!! :bigsmile:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: Satin vs Polished finish
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007 - 12:02:58 PM »
Polished w/a clear coat should last awhile.  If you find wheels that are not clear-coated that you like, get 'em clearcoated.

Otherwise you'll be spending 8 hours every other month polishing them.  Brake dust wreaks havoc on unpolished rims.  Believe me, I know from 1st-hand experience!

They're getting better w/chrome plated wheels now (unlike the old Cragar S/S), however it's hard to find a chrome wheel that's not too blingy.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007 - 05:55:26 AM »
try newstalgiawheel.com they are extremely knowledgable with their product  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007 - 01:51:09 PM »
There are also some products you can put on a polished wheel to protect them.  I think Flitz has a product that you apply that will allow you to clean them with nothing more than water.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007 - 06:05:06 PM »
Otherwise you'll be spending 8 hours every other month polishing them. 

however it's hard to find a chrome wheel that's not too blingy.

8 hrs. every two months is like an hour a week. It depends on how much and in what environments you drive in but I think, with a clearcoated or polished wheel and daily driver status, you might spend 15 minutes a week on cleaning. Just use some spray and wash stuff and wipe dry. A cool combo is a powdercoated center and a polished lip, say on a Torque Thrust II. They look nostalgic but modern, not too blingy.
As for finding a wheel that is not too blingy.....the recent influx of bling has not replaced the traditional wheels. The big hoops and such have simply been added to the market and they didn't take all of the favorites off the market. You can probably find 80% of the styles that were around 10 years ago. American Racing, Cragar, Eagle, all  those brands are still there with the same old wheels, sure they carry dubs nowadays but they had to expand thier catalog to keep up with the new trend.
70Ragtop, I'm not trying to shotgun you, just trying to set MoparManiac59 on the wheels. They don't make self cleaning wheels and you are going to invest some time into wheel cleaning but it isn't that bad. I enjoy it actually.
My advice is find a wheel style you like, i.e. 5 spoke, classic, modern, 15's or 20's, and search the net. Check out Summit, Tirerack.com, Newstalgia, Wheel Vintiques, etc. Good Luck.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007 - 06:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the input.  :2thumbs: I've got ralley's on my '68 fish and I'm sticking with them, but need some more meat for the Challenger's back tires. It's got some off-brand aluminum satin finished rims that are missing the center caps. I really never did like them, but the satin finish is pretty easy to clean. I am leaning real hard towards Center Line Covo Pro rims, they are expensive, but nice. They make good rims too, as far as they know. It's just a choice between the polished or satin. I do know about brake dust, that crap, is always all over my Ford rims. Did I say FORD?? Sorry about that I must have slipped. My WIFE drives a Ford. I drive a Mopar!! :smilielol: happy motoring!!
Matt

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007 - 01:53:19 AM »
 :2thumbs: Yes all of the above. The trick with brake dust is not to let it build up. When it is released it is a hot fine powder and impregnats itself onto the wheels. If you have a soft finish on your wheels it can bite in and become more permanent. Some disc pads throw more dust than others. Softer pads usually only throw pad dust, harder pads throw fine metal from the disc as well and they are usually hotter :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007 - 08:45:58 AM »
There are also some products you can put on a polished wheel to protect them.  I think Flitz has a product that you apply that will allow you to clean them with nothing more than water.

Zoop Seal is another product that can be used on Polished wheels.  Supposed to protect them for up to three years.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007 - 09:03:05 PM »
Zoop Seal is another product that can be used on Polished wheels.  Supposed to protect them for up to three years.

Stuff don't work.  Within 6 months, I had brake dust pit my new wheels on my wif'e 300c SRT8.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007 - 06:50:35 AM »
Stuff don't work.  Within 6 months, I had brake dust pit my new wheels on my wif'e 300c SRT8.

Good to hear that.   :thumbsup:  Been debating on what to use on mine.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007 - 10:10:45 AM »
On my wheels i just clean them once a week or so on the weekend with some turtle wax wheel cleaner...I know its a pain, but at least they will never get bad :thumbsup:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project