Author Topic: Modern Seat belts  (Read 7858 times)

Offline Challenger73318

Re: Modern Seat belts
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007 - 09:41:33 PM »
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html

That's the page I ordered from.

Nope, the headliner got crinkled cuz it's not glued in yet.  I smoothed it out and marked the holes, then cut.  I don't know how good it'll look when done, but the car is a driver, and I don't plan on staring at the headliner much.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007 - 10:32:29 PM »
I'm just curious why you got the van style?
and now that you've installed the set and used them, do you think they're a better choice than a car set?
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007 - 10:38:37 PM »
I got them because of the drop sash.  Having sat in a friend's Challenger with the car set, I found that the belt wasn't really on my shoulder, but moreso cut into my neck.  With the drop sash, it lays across my shoulder.  To me, that's a no brainer.  Keep in mind, there are variables in seat height, incline, body structure etc... ymmv.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007 - 10:40:56 PM »
i see now..good idea.
So the van set would be better with shorter people and kids then.

Oh..one last thing..bolted into all the stock holes ?

Thanks
Eric
Bay Area California

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007 - 10:43:55 PM »
 :iagree:

Not sure how a child would fair, but its gotta be better than when I was growing up, and my dad was driving us down the highway while I had my chin on the dash, soaking in the view of the fender eating up road.  Try that today and see how fast you get pulled over... :clapping:

Yep, no drilling or welding involved.  The only puncture wounds were to the headliner and carpet.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007 - 10:45:37 PM by Challenger73318 »

Offline loco440

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007 - 02:28:46 AM »
NZ440,those belts look great,I can get them with not a problem living in Sydney, at last some thing easy to get for my car,do they sit good over the sholder and not cut into your neck or fall off, do you have a part number for those belts so I can order a set, thanks.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007 - 03:38:40 AM »
NZ440,those belts look great,I can get them with not a problem living in Sydney, at last some thing easy to get for my car,do they sit good over the sholder and not cut into your neck or fall off, do you have a part number for those belts so I can order a set, thanks.

Thanks mate. Nope, they sit how they should, if they didn't and I wasn't happy, trust me, they'd be out of there.
They look great, function how belts should and are as safe as any belt on the market, NZ & AUD standards.

I think if you go to page 1 of this thread, my first post, click on the link to the other thread and I have all the details there. Definitely something you should get being so close. These guys in the US have several other options.

Cheers,
Carl

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:06:05 PM »
:iagree:

Not sure how a child would fair, but its gotta be better than when I was growing up, and my dad was driving us down the highway while I had my chin on the dash, soaking in the view of the fender eating up road.  Try that today and see how fast you get pulled over... :clapping:

Yep, no drilling or welding involved.  The only puncture wounds were to the headliner and carpet.

My stock '70 retractable belt comes up out of a slot in the floor between the seat and the door.
Do your new belts utilize this slot?
So removal of the carpet is necessary for installation?
I didn't look at it too close 'cuz I'm dieing of the flu :eek4: and my wife gives me dirty looks when I go out into the garage.
Eric
Bay Area California

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:19:00 PM »
My stock '70 retractable belt comes up out of a slot in the floor between the seat and the door.

My ones do so I presume the others do the same. Below is a photo during install.
This was taken before the black cover was installed to hide the working parts. All stock locations were used.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:42:23 PM »
I didn't look at it too close 'cuz I'm dieing of the flu :eek4: and my wife gives me dirty looks when I go out into the garage.

There's no slot in the floor in my install.  The retractor box and belt anchor bolt through the carpet to the stock seat belt anchor nut.  At the roof, same thing.  The bolt goes through the drop sash, and headliner to the stock anchor point.  If I hadn't been replacing the carpet, I'm sure you could just bolt the retractor box into place without removing the carpet. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007 - 04:45:58 PM by Challenger73318 »

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007 - 06:07:58 PM »
'73 must be different than '70. I'm not sure what my stock retractor looks like as it all seems to be under the carpet...,

3rd pic is a bonus for all your help :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007 - 06:09:50 PM by chevyconvert »
Eric
Bay Area California

nivvy

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007 - 06:25:06 PM »
are they legal for the track???

Offline Challenger73318

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007 - 07:23:39 PM »
It looks like your retractor is in the same place.  73 Belts are outside the carpet.  Cost savings??  Oh those crazy guys at Corporate.  The belt I installed is continuous, meaning there's no way to thread it through a slot like that without cutting the carpet and the plastic slot border.  Does that make sense?  I think you could still use it. 

Stroker:  No idea or interest in track legality here.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007 - 08:17:06 PM »
 :banghead:
Eric
Bay Area California

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007 - 09:01:12 AM »
70 was a one year deal on seatbelt retractors. They were bolted to the floor under the carpet and had a plastic housing over the retractor, then the carpet covered the retractor and plastic cover. Later years had the retractors that bolted down on top of the carpet.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda