Author Topic: Spring Length  (Read 927 times)

nivvy

Spring Length
« on: February 27, 2007 - 06:09:28 PM »
Is the SS spring longer on the passenger size than the driver side? Whe I jack the car up from the centersection the spring on the passenger side just touches the rear valance and not even close on the drivers side?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Spring Length
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007 - 11:48:17 PM »
they should both be the same length , possibly the long one si the wrong part

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:54:44 AM »
They should both be the same length. Also, the passenger side should have extra leafs in it and be harder to compress. I'd second that they may be wrong. B body super stock springs are 1" longer than E body springs. This is a little know, and unpublished since the late 80s DC catalogs, piece of info that isn't widely known today. The rear segment length from the axle pin to the center of the spring eye is 35" for an E body and 36" for a B body.

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 - 05:00:57 AM »
Would the battery I have in the trunk make a difference???? putting extra weight on the car making the spring stretch out further ??? the part numbers are right for the SS Springs

Mopar Super Stock Spring Kit   mopp4120865/4120866

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007 - 08:59:08 AM »
Is the SS spring longer on the passenger size than the driver side? Whe I jack the car up from the centersection the spring on the passenger side just touches the rear valance and not even close on the drivers side?

Is it possible you have a bent bracket, rearend housing or Unibody ? Measure from the bumper bolt to the edge of the valance on both sides to see if they are even. Then measure  from a point on the rearend housing to the valance edge and see it those are the same.

If it barely touches when static, you will have real problems when you drive it. The shackle will rub the valance into a pretzel.  (more common on 'CUDAs then Challengers)

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007 - 09:16:28 AM »
the 1 1/4 shackles I installed are about 1 inch longer that the 3/4 ones I had on there...gues im gonna have to take them off... ???

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007 - 05:11:18 PM »
Well I figured out the problem....the valance bracket on the drivers side is bent in and making it seem the springs are shorter.... the shackle on the passengers side is just touching the valance bracket....I think im gonna bend that one as well ...