Author Topic: Six Pack or Six Shooter ???  (Read 12192 times)

Offline Madmax440

Six Pack or Six Shooter ???
« on: February 28, 2007 - 04:16:33 PM »
Now that the interior and exterior is complete, its time to start on the engine compartment. I want to start by upgrading the 440 Magnum with either a Six Pack or a Six Shooter from Barry Grant. I am going for the bling factor here too and personally think that would best be satisfied by the six shooter - Any comments or opinions ???   

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Six Pack or Six Shooter ???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:19:10 PM »
Six Shooter all the way. Barry Grant knows his stuff and if you are going for the bling factor as well the demons look better than the holleys.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:22:52 PM »
Hey MadMax,

Sounds like you have done a lot of work, and I know you are looking forward to getting the engine completed.   I wish I could make a comment that was coming from experience with the BG 6-shooter, but I can't.   I know what they are, and what they look like, but that's about it.  I am however somewhat experienced with the 6-pak's.  There is a lot of bling with the six-pack set up.  I am sure the BG set up will run good, but am know for a fact that a properly set up 6-pak will look great, create comments at the car cruises, and last but not least, they will haul a$$.  Go with your gut, but my money would go toward the good old, tried and true, 6-pak set-up on an aluminum intake .....    :2cents:    :cooldancing:    
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 - 04:24:06 PM »
Ha Ha  72Hemi----- we ought to have him good and confused now....    :clueless:   lol     :roflsmiley:   :smilielol:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007 - 05:01:26 PM »
I think your car would be worth a lot more with the original SIX PACK set up!!! ... plus they have been around along time...who knows how long the six shooter from bg will last ???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007 - 10:06:00 AM »
if you decide on the 6 Shooter I may be able to offer you a decent price on the system

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007 - 11:39:22 AM »
Either way you will be very happy. The six pack on my Challenger works great. It took a few times to get it set up to work great and man does it. Just a thought. :2thumbs: :stirpot:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007 - 02:54:18 PM »
Ha Ha  72Hemi----- we ought to have him good and confused now....    :clueless:   lol     :roflsmiley:   :smilielol:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing: 
:iagree: I had a stock 6 pack on my 71 cuda, I will have a stock 6 pack on my 70 cuda, but I think I will have a 6 shooter on my 72 challenger when I get around to going through it again. Both options are the right way to go. I think that the answer will come with Madmax's feelings on Holleys from past experiences.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007 - 08:07:24 PM »
I am really leaning toward the Six Shooter.

Offline BKB@FnB

• F&B Performance Engineered Products
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007 - 04:32:10 PM »
MPI six pack would be my choice for a non-original six pack car...All the power (and more) of a stock six pack set-up plus unlimited tuneability...
Oh yeah...

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007 - 06:58:54 PM »
Whoa, that is a nice looking set-up you have there! :thumbsup: I've been thinking about going that route also on my sixpack car. If you don't mind my asking, what did that set-up cost, and how difficult was it to install?
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

daves70

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007 - 07:12:51 PM »
I know I will look like a dumbazz, my car is a SIX-PACK car, what the hell is a sixpack shooter? Nitrous injected? I've never heard of it until today.  :dunno: :clueless:

Offline BKB@FnB

• F&B Performance Engineered Products
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007 - 08:49:14 PM »
The RB intake system from F&B based on the Edelbrock manifold is around 2K total depending on options...You need to run the fuel to it and provide the computet/harness, etc... the rest of the conversion is sort of up to you... The Jensen uses a BigStuff3 and was fairly easy to convert the fuel system over... Id estimate about 5K for everything on the Jensen.  We used some "over spec'd" parts in hopes of doing some motor upgrades in the future.  It took about 4 days of work and screwing around to get it n the road with MPI and start tuning with the laptop. It went from 8.5mpg (BG850 and Edelbrock Pef RPM mfld)  to 16.5 mpg hwy though! If you started with a Megasquirt or the like your cost would be less.  Hope Im not breaking any website bylaws by saying I make all the 6pack MPI stuff and  sell it too (www.fbthrottlebodies.com)...About a year ago I went trolling on this site for someone that had already done an MPI conversion to try out the 6 pack set-up, but no takers, so we started out with my Jensen (440, 727) Weve also done LA and Magnum intake systems and are working on a G3 Hemi set-up...
We'll be at Mopars at the Strip this month in some fashion...
Bruce

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007 - 11:40:34 PM »
Welcome Bruce
 I talked to you for a while at MATS in Vegas last spring we were looking at both the Jensen & the Dakota , very cool stuff  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007 - 08:29:16 PM »
There is an article I think Hot Rod did about Barry Grant's six-shooter.  They got more power with a 4 barrel...  basically they said get the 6-shooter if you want it to look cool and if you like to spend a (whole fricken) lot of money.  As for performance go with a 4-barrel.  I would gander that the good ole six pack setup would probably get you better performance.  Also keep in mind the flow rates... not sure how the flow rates compare between six pack and 6-shooter carb setups.  Maybe check hot rod's website for that tech article... the might have it online.