Author Topic: Chryco Psyco- gotta question for you  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Chryco Psyco- gotta question for you
« on: February 28, 2007 - 08:04:54 PM »
Is the adjuster rod for the throw out bearing longer on a bb compared to a small block?

I installed my equalizer tube, both the ball ends, and then got down to the adjustment bar for the throw out bearing and it appears to be around 1.5 inches or so too short. 

My car is a 440 with a 23 spline. I believe that maybe I must have a small block thread adjuster since it is too short?
If there is a difference, who sells a good bb adjuster kit? And I need one to be as strong as original and work as good

Thanks for the help, if you can....ALAN

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Chryco Psyco- gotta question for you
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007 - 10:25:15 AM »
Brewers , Passon & Mopar all have the threaded adjuster rods , Mopar lists a .020 longer adjuster for the big block so something else is wrong , possibly a Z bar from a different application with the upper or lower arm at a different angle , Mopar lists the adjuster at 4.880 "

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007 - 11:23:34 AM »
Thanks, The equalizer is the original for the 318 that was in it from the factory. Of course now I have a 440 installed. The thread bar is about the length (visual) of the size you are saying.  Must be some kind of difference from a small block and big block equalizer I guess. Everything seems like a clean install and went together great cept for the threaded bar not going through the clutch fork. Which will allow it to fall out at some point. I have 1 more e body equalizer somewhere I will have to see if the arm positions are the same. I was wondering if the bar coming from the clutch pedal and through the firewall was shorter maybe.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007 - 01:05:21 PM »
I have in the past extended the adjuster by cutting & welding a tube over to extend the length of short adjusters 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007 - 01:07:46 PM »
Call Mancini and get the longer lenght Rod.  The longer one is about 6.5' long.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007 - 06:47:07 PM »
Call Mancini and get the longer lenght Rod.  The longer one is about 6.5' long.

That would cure my problem for sure. I will call and order one so it's working, but I still will want to find out what is different in my system. Thanks for the post, at least I can get it started for now. I was going to do what chryco suggested since back in the day, I had to do that to a 70 road runner. 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007 - 08:49:40 PM »
The Z-bar is also different between a big block and small block too. The arm on the end that goes to the adjuster rod is closer to the end on one of them.  Passon sells the "angled" adjuster rod for this too.   Call them during business hours and they can explain what you need.  They even had the small bushings  that let you adapt a later competion Plus shifter assembly to the stock linkage rods. They can help you with anything for a 4 speed.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007 - 09:02:07 PM »
Well I did notice that the angle was off by just a little bit. Not much, but enough to make it hard to put the clip on the adjuster to hold it in place. That was some good info you just gave me...ALAN

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007 - 06:56:01 AM »
 :dunno:  There are two different sizes of t/o bearings.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007 - 08:53:28 AM »
Yes theh 23 spline is smalller , the 18 spline is larger & seems to be hard to get Mopar still has them & clutch companies like McLeod have them 

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007 - 02:09:25 PM »
Forks and bellcranks (Z bars) are different for big blocks too.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007 - 02:23:24 PM »
Forks and bellcranks (Z bars) are different for big blocks too.
[/quote)

I see I have miss matched stuff, but I have resolved the problem and it is working propper now...Thanks for all the help...ALAN

I saw the z bar offset was off about .250 or so and then I got a 1 inch longer aduster rod to make the correct adjustments. Seems to be working....ALAN

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007 - 11:55:04 PM »
 :2thumbs:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007 - 09:50:10 PM »
Well after pulling the 4 speed out today cause something just wasnt right, I finally found my problem.  My new ZOOM pressure plate was bad. The borg and beck fingers were hitting on the disc springs when engaged.

Ever see that before? It was my first. The levers when mounted were spongy and pulled back up 1 inch. So no matter how I adjusted the clutch rod, it wasnt enough. Took 3 hrs to find the problem. Everything looked correct and was installed correct.

Waiting on summit to send me new stuff now.  And maybe I can put the first mile on this car. I hate to leave it set up with gas in all 3 carbs.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007 - 12:35:38 AM »
Glad you found the problem at least
 BTW I am working on a 4 spd E body & the Z bar & fork are the same big or small block , the pivot in the bel is different if the brg retainer is a different size though