At exactly midnight, I will be 12 3/4 yrs old

Author Topic: At exactly midnight, I will be 12 3/4 yrs old  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
At exactly midnight, I will be 12 3/4 yrs old
« on: February 28, 2007 - 08:39:20 PM »
Since I was born at 12 midnight on Feb 28/29, I celebrated my birthday today. I got 1 more year and I will be a teenager (13):2thumbs:

I'm young at heart, with an old body.

I finally got home late last night.  I am facing a lot of unwanted things here right now, so I spent some time to myself reflecting on the good and bad.  After a day of just being quiet and sheltered, I realize, the hurdles I have crossed to get this far has made me stronger to face the next month of sadness, I know will come my way.

I will be really busy after tonight, so I went for a ride in my challenger, It was 74 degrees here today. An hour drive behind the wheel really felt good and relaxing, worked on the cuda, and talked with my dad for a few hrs. I told him I wasnt leaving his side anymore and that I was staying home.
He just looked at me and smiled and said thank you, then we talked about the farms we had when I was growing up, and how he reminded me of when I was little, we had a well outside instead of running water, and the bathroom was outside too. No tv, no a/c and gas was 15 cents a gallon. I then let him talk about his childhood and how my uncle, which is is twin brother, and him used to buy old 30 model cars for 15 bucks and drive them till they quit running, then go get another. 

In almost 80 yrs of his life, he, and people of his age, have seen the world go through many changes to get to where it is today. 

Sorry for rambling on, just a little in the slumps today.  My wife was doing her best in trying to please me.  I am blessed with a good marriage and family.  It sure felt good to go slow and easy today.

Thanks for listening

71challengher

Re: At exactly midnight, I will be 12 3/4 yrs old
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007 - 08:53:49 PM »
Happy Birthday Al :cheers:

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007 - 08:53:53 PM »
It’s ok Al, I for one like your ramblings.  Happy birthday, I have heard of people who were born on Feb 29, but you are the first one I have known.

I am really sorry to hear about your dad’s illness, I lost my father to cancer over 16 years ago.  Spend as much time as you can with him, you will not regret it.  I got to know my dad better in the last few months of his life than I did in the 30 years prior. 

There will be plenty of time later to work and play with your cars.

You and your family will be in our thoughts as you go through this.

Ron

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 - 08:55:20 PM »
Wishing you a wonderful B-Day!  Glad you made it another year!    :thumbsup:

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007 - 11:18:53 PM »
Happy birthday Al. Hope you have a great day and enjoy every minute with your family.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007 - 11:27:36 PM »
Happy Birthday

Sorry about your Dad.

I also enjoy your ramblings.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007 - 12:09:17 AM »
Happy Birthday Al.

I was faced with the same thing three years ago with my mom. I set up a camcorder in the living room, and over the course of the last few weeks that she was strong enough, we just talked. I got her to tell me about her life, from when she was a little kid, all the say up to the present. I asked her about people  and family members that I didn't know very well, or couldn't remember much about, and about specific events in our lives. Much of the time, we just talked, about anything and everything. We had a lot of good hours reliving the years, and as we talked, in depth, she provided a lot of information that I had never known before. I got the kids involved whenever I could, and they would sit on her lap, or beside her, as she told the family stories.

Now that she is gone, the tapes are priceless. When I or the kids really get to missing her, I just pull them out and we watch them. It always makes us a little sad, at first, but after we're done, everyone has a smile on their face. I'll pass them down to the kids, so that they'll have something to remember her by, and to document the family history that she was a part of. Hopefully, I'll get to do the same thing with my grandkids. If you haven't done so already, you should think about doing the same, because your remaining time with your dad is also priceless. It will help in the years ahead, believe me, especially on those days, when you just miss his laugh, or his smile, or would like to hear him tell that one special story again in the way only he can tell it. My dad passed suddenly, quite a few years before my mom, so I never got the chance to do this with him, and I really regret that. Take care.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007 - 03:36:52 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALAN.
Now take it one day at a time and enjoy,and if you want to ramble,you go right ahead.And if you just need to kick the dog (let it out)I am here and will listen.I have lost many a family member to cancer,young and old.-----The Clown

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007 - 05:13:12 AM »
Well have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us folks in the frozen north!  :cheers: :cheers:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007 - 05:38:38 AM »
...lost my father a year ago at 83 years of age.....we talked lots near the end and there always seemed to be a new story I had never heard before...I spent last week in the hospital with a wake up call that I ain't immortal either....things are working out, but one day we wake up and figure out we're not kids anymore....we also lived with no indoor plumbing and I heard the storys about his first $6 dollar car and WWII and on and on.....the nurses last week told me I have the body of a 25 year old, it just looks 80.....

anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY kid.....I think when you get to be 13 years old you will start to get pimples and see hair begin to grow in strange places.....

..................larry

Offline cudabuyer

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007 - 05:46:42 AM »
Happy Birthday Al, today is my grandmother's 93rd birthday, unfortunately she passed last October, she had lived with my mother since 1964 when my grandfather passed.

My dad passed a year a half ago and his birthday is March 7, my mother lost her home and practically every possession in Hurricane Katrina - so it has not been very good for her lately.

I am attending Mass, for my grandmother, with her this morning - not gonna be a good day for us.  :violin:

Godspeed Al
70 Dodge Challenger Convertible 6.1 Hemi

Offline moparman11

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007 - 05:53:38 AM »
Happy Birthday, I dont know you, but I do understand what you are going through at this time, My prayers are with you and your family, John
1973 RALLYE CHALLENGER

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007 - 06:01:14 AM »
HAPPY B-Day Al--It is nice that you can spend time with your dad. I am sure you will both enjoy and benfit from it. I too lost my dad very suddenly to a massive heart attack at 67 years old. Had lunch with him at 12:00 and at 8:15 that night he was gone. I always wondered what I would have said or done if I knew what would happen that night.
JS27
AL
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007 - 07:53:37 AM »
Al, Happy Birthday.   :wave: 

Sorry to hear about your dad's illness.  Its a major bummer, but its the facts of life.  Any of us could be gone at any time.  Just cherish the time you spend with him now, as I'm sure you are.   :2thumbs:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007 - 07:56:23 AM »
Happy Birthday Al!  Ramble on, friend....ramble on.  My mother passed away 2 years ago at the age of 79.  Love on them as much as you can, while you can. 

Glad you had a relaxing day.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!