VIN tag restoration

Author Topic: VIN tag restoration  (Read 32573 times)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: VIN tag restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007 - 08:04:19 AM »
706pkVert,

I see what you are attempting to do, and as long as no laws are being violated and due diligence is done to verify the validity on the information, I think it's a good service.  That said, it'll be hard to ensure that the new VIN will go back on the car it came off of.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:53:03 AM »
My service is only to strip, re-paint and re-silkscreen the logo on your existing VIN tag. I will not alter, re-stamp or create a new tag in any way, shape or form.

As far as a kit goes, that would be impossible. The logo is silkscreened and once the transfer is made, there is a shelf life of about 3 days......

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007 - 10:16:25 AM »
If it is illegal to remove a VIN tag, then how do we get the VIN tag off to send in the dash for restoration? I am sending in my dash soon, am I allowed to remove my tag???

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007 - 10:59:35 AM »
 :popcorn:
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007 - 11:36:02 AM »
It is NOT illegal to remove a VIN tag for restorative purposes. That is a fact.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007 - 07:47:05 PM »
I have heard that the only state that allows removal of the VIN tag for restoration puproses is Connecticut. I have not read their laws though, so I do not know that for sure.

Barry

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007 - 09:55:01 PM »
so is everyone breaking the law when the change out their own dashpad?
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007 - 11:32:19 AM »
As far as a kit goes, that would be impossible. The logo is silkscreened and once the transfer is made, there is a shelf life of about 3 days......

I don't understand  :dunno: We have a silk screen kit that they use at work that is over 5 years old and they use it several times a year :clueless: Is it the kind of silk screening used? Could you change it to a different type that lasts longer then 3 days?

You probably would have a larger market out there for the kits anyways, you could sell them on Ebay and on message boards like this. My point is I would be very leary about sending the one and only vin off my vehicle to be restored to someone that only has 10 posts on this board.

Edit: I read your other post about the company you own which makes better, the fact that the VIN may get lost between here and there scares me a little.

:2cents:
Lunch
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007 - 11:36:20 AM by Lunchbox »

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007 - 12:23:09 PM »
I think you are thinking about a dry transfer rub-on. My process is completely different. I have done many VIN tags and never had one get lost. I always tell customers to send them registered US mail. If someone does not feel comfortable sending a VIN in the mail, that is their perogative. The way I do the tags, that look competely OEM, it would be next to impossible to have a kit form.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007 - 10:38:26 PM »
I contacted a pal in law enforcement about this this to see what he had to say. The quote below is from his reply to me;

"You should send them some of the articles like the hemi cuda case that we did and let them know that it is for the good of the hobby these laws. If the vin is no good it's no good and they need to get the car a state vin, at least the state DMV will give the car some legit status (not a tampered with illegal VIN plate), and these guys are wrong, tell the guy restoring the plates to post a list of the VIN's he did and watch how quick those cars get impounded and stripped of their VIN. Also put the word out (fear out) that if this guy's place ever gets raided with a search warrant any loose VIN plates not attached to cars will get seized and also any evidence or records of the cars that he did will probably be tracked down and impounded. See if that doesn't put the word out, also post the NYS law 170.70, it's sure to keep that thread talking, believe me I wouldn't want to be one of the guys that had my VIN # in his records if he ever gets busted!!!"

Here is the NYS law 170.70 that he reffered to;

New York Penal Law Section 170.70
Illegal Possession Of A Vehicle Identification Number.

§ 170.70 Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number.
    A person is guilty of illegal possession of a vehicle identification number when:

(1) He knowingly possesses a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate which has been removed from the vehicle or vehicle part to which such label, sticker or plate was affixed by the manufacturer in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. and regulations promulgated thereunder or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law; or

(2) He knowingly possesses a vehicle or vehicle part to which is attached a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate or on which is stamped or embossed a vehicle identification number which has been destroyed, covered, defaced, altered or otherwise changed, or a vehicle or vehicle part from which a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate has been removed, which label, sticker or plate was affixed in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. or regulations promulgated thereunder, except when he has complied with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(3) He knowingly possesses a vehicle, or part of a vehicle to which by law or regulation must be attached a vehicle identification number, either (a) with a vehicle identification number label, sticker, or plate which was not affixed by the manufacturer in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. or regulations promulgated thereunder, or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or regulations promulgated thereunder, or (b) on which is affixed, stamped or embossed a vehicle identification number which was not affixed, stamped or embossed by the manufacturer, or in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. or regulations promulgated thereunder or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or regulations promulgated thereunder. Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number is a class E felony.

Here is some of the info from the Hemi Cuda case that he reffered to;

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007 - 10:42:27 PM »
706pkVert, be advised that you are on dangerous ground here.  :nono:

It has been my pleasure to bring you to the attention of the law enforcement community as well. Paranoid yet? You should be.  :naughty:

Barry Washington

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007 - 04:05:43 AM »
706pkVert, be advised that you are on dangerous ground here.  :nono:

It has been my pleasure to bring you to the attention of the law enforcement community as well. Paranoid yet? You should be.  :naughty:

Barry Washington

I think your stepping over the line, although it may not be technically legal, I don't believe he's breaking the spirit of the law.
So are the people that have removed their dashes guilty of removing the VIN from the car?

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007 - 06:17:07 AM »
I think your stepping over the line, although it may not be technically legal, I don't believe he's breaking the spirit of the law.
So are the people that have removed their dashes guilty of removing the VIN from the car?
I have to agree. From the post the guy is putting the decal on not restamping new numbers
The laws spirit is for the people making new numbers not removing tags and restoring them.
To the letter of the law ALL of us maybe braking the law.In that case ALL of the restoration shops that have had cars in the magazines and every person who posts a restoration has the potental of being visited by the police.
Not the best help for the hobby.
Has anyone ever sent you tags and paper work with the broadcast sheets? Do you still have them?
Or do you know more aboout this persons service than is being posted?
My point is there are tons of laws out there but they are enforced for a purpose. The police are not interested in searching every hobbyiest garage to see if the tags on their 40 year old cars are removed. They are looking for chop shops selling stolen parts and illegal/fake vins.
Dave

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007 - 09:26:59 AM »
Making a VIN tag for a Hemi car out of a Granny-Slant-Six (no offense to the slant six owners out there) is fraudulent, no question. Moving the VIN numbers from one car to another, is fraudulent, no question. But personally, I dont see where restoring a VIN plate is a problem, as long as its done in a proper, ethical and LEGAL manner.
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!