Author Topic: VIN tag restoration  (Read 32566 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: VIN tag restoration
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007 - 08:42:26 AM »
This is all about INTENT...if you are trying to defraud someone or conceal the identity of a car thats stolen, you are guilty of a crime.

Read the law..pretty clear it's aimed at stolen cars, not restoration projects.

Agreed, it's all about intent, and the aim of the law is pretty clear.  However, as Sir Thomas More said, the law is nothing but the words in which it is written, and in this case like several others the lawmakers were either not sufficiently aware of the details of the subject of the law, or those details changed over the course of time, or both.  The laws as written both leave loopholes for the unscrupulous and provide for the legal prosecution of the honest.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2007 - 11:03:26 AM »
I have just started on my dash, and pad. I am keeping the VIN tag in place. After i took it to bare metal, i cut out all the high spots. I am welding sheets of steel up to the bottom of the dash holes, then fiberglassing it to be smooth, then painting it black. It will be a custom dash, but a stock look, just cleaned up. My heater core it going to be tucked up high, instead of a huge box sticking out. The glove box, and ash tray are getting deleted. Here is my start.

Offline JS23U0B

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2007 - 03:47:08 PM »
Just got a few more holes filled in. I am putting some kind of wire mesh to cover up the defrost holes. Lots of sanding yet to do.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2007 - 08:52:47 PM »
Mna, that's coming out nice :thumbsup: Simple but effective :grinyes:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2007 - 11:20:50 PM »
My restoration is at the point where I need to replace or restore my dashpad.  If I can't find a mint used one soon I will take mine to 'Just Dashes' as they are local to me.  I asked them about what to do with the VIN tag and they said "remove it before you deliver it", when I asked if this was legal they said it IS if it's for a 'legitimate' restoration.  Good enough for me, I will be contacting 706pkVert to restore my VIN tag!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007 - 12:04:41 AM by FM3V6M »

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2007 - 04:55:20 PM »
Why do you need a VIN tag restored?  Need that 100 points in a show?

I wouldn't send anything that valuable (potentially $$$ thousands of dollars worth) through the mail.

Just paint it if it bothers you so much.

Yes, drill out the backside of the rivets and glue them back in the new pad.  No biggie.

If that VIN tag gets lost, you're SOL.  I would say 20% of the value of your car would go down if that VIN gets lost.  Even if you get a re-issue, it will never be the same as before.

Unless you live nearby, deliver it, and have dude, restore it right in front of you and give it back, I wouldn't do it. No way, no how! :nono:
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2007 - 05:55:55 PM »
Why do you need a VIN tag restored?  Need that 100 points in a show?

I wouldn't send anything that valuable (potentially $$$ thousands of dollars worth) through the mail.

Just paint it if it bothers you so much.

Yes, drill out the backside of the rivets and glue them back in the new pad.  No biggie.

If that VIN tag gets lost, you're SOL.  I would say 20% of the value of your car would go down if that VIN gets lost.  Even if you get a re-issue, it will never be the same as before.

Unless you live nearby, deliver it, and have dude, restore it right in front of you and give it back, I wouldn't do it. No way, no how! :nono:

I like the idea of having it restored, but the idea that it might get lost in the mail is too big a risk.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2007 - 09:47:40 PM »
I agree with not sending it in the mail and potentially having it get lost. I have a simple base 318 Challenger with nothing special options but I was depressed when I thought I had lost my data plate. It is odd but the car loses something when the vin or data plate is missing. This is just my opinion btw. I could not imagine how sick I would get if I sent a U or V or heaven forbid an R coded vin plate through the mail. The dash looks great and I dont see anything wrong with your vin plate to speak of. My vin plate was scratched pretty badly when the previous owner removed it and had nasty vinyl placed over the cracked orginal dash pad. I want to do something but I will probably just tape the pentastar off and just hit it with a light coat of flat black just to dress it up a little.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2007 - 10:00:46 PM »
 :iagree:

My car is definitely plain-Jane, but I'm really bummed that I seem to have lost my build sheet. I think that if I lost the data plate or the VIN tag I'd be really bummed.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007 - 12:10:59 AM »
Anything that valuable can be sent 'registered mail' in which case it is placed in a lock-box and hand-delivered and signed for upon receipt, there is a tracking # and you can follow it via your home pc.  People send priceless artwork and jewlery via this method all the time without fail, your can also insure it for more than the entire car is worth.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2007 - 10:16:28 AM »
Thanks sort of right, but some of it isn't.  I send fine art through the Post Office, UPS, Fed Ex, and and friend who works for a fine art museum and arranges shipping for antiquities.

If you send something by Registered Mail the PO will hold it for the signature of the addressee. This will proove that the addressee received / accepted the package but it won't guarantee that the PO itself doesn't lose the package.  It also won't establish the value of the package.  You can claim a value, but if you want to collect that value you have to be able to back it up.  For instance, when I send a negative to be drum-scanned, if it's lost I'm potentially losing however many prints I might have sold from that image.  If I plan to sell an edition of 100 images from that original, I've potentially lost the income of 100 prints.  The Post Office's attitude, however, is that if I did not have 100 prepaid buyers at the time I sent off the negative, I've lost nothing, regardless of the value I claimed for the negative. I'd be willing to bet that, if someone lost a VIN tothe Post Office, they would want "proof" about how much the value of the car dropped (i.e., what were you offered for the car before the loss, and what were you offered after the loss) and how you know (i.e., they would want offers in writing).

This is a long-winded way of saying "Do not trust your valuables to the Post Office without knowing the ins and outs of the process."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007 - 10:47:39 AM by ChallengerHK »

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2007 - 08:21:20 PM »
Hey ChallengerHK, what type of prints?  I collect signed military aviation prints from artists like Robert Taylor and Nicholas Trudgian.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2007 - 10:56:23 AM »
FM3, I've tried to create some opportunities to dosome aviation art with military stuff, but neddless to say the Air Force is antzy about somebody they don't know wandering around their billion dollar jets   :-\.  I live right beside Pope, but it was just turned over to the Army.  I still plan to try, though.

I do fine art prints of just about anything that interests me, but primarily landscapes, industrial subjects and wildlife.  I haven't updated this in a few years, but I think that this will go to my gallery on art.com. If it doesn't, I apologize in advance.

http://gallery.artistrising.com/ExploreArtwork/Portfolio.aspx?AIID=1075&Col=

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline FM3V6M

• TX9 383 4spd
    • mytx9cuda
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2007 - 10:43:12 PM »
Nice site ChallengerHK, great photos!  Looks like you've got a good eye for photography, I think they will make great prints.  Maybe a good side business for you!

Offline hobo

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2007 - 12:44:36 AM »
This seems to have struck some nerves for sure. It usually does.

As far as separation goes, you would have to ask a judge for HIS definition. To me it means removal of the VIN tag from what it is riveted too.

Before anyone changes a dash pad, removes their VIN, mails it across state lines, or whatever else, please check YOUR states laws. If you mail it out for restoration, be sure to check the receiving states laws as well.

Educate yourself and do what you want after that, then if you cross into a gray area and your tag or car gets seized or you get some jail time you have no one to blame but yourself.

I deal with VIN fraud every day in one way or another. This "hobby" has a lot of bad people involved in it that prey on innocent people, more than you know. Educate yourselves as you see fit to protect yourself from them. Personally I choose to fight them instead of hiding my head in the sand and ignoring the problem.

As far as broadcast sheets and fender tags tags go since they were mentioned, they have no legal standing or recognition with the law enforcement community. The only numbers on the car they care about are the dash VINs and the "secret" body numbers. The body numbers on our cars have not remained much of a secret as we all know.

So, one more time, PLEASE educate yourselves with your state and local laws so YOU know what YOU are getting into BEFORE you do anything with your dash VIN.

Very sincerely,
Barry Washington

Barry First of all i would like to thank you for all that you do for the hobby.  You give a lot of your time and effort to all of us who need help at times.  I just wanted to let you know i had a great conversation about this topic with my Father in law. No we get along great. He is a retired  Supreme court Judge in NY. Since he is retired and has a lot of time on his hands we were watching some football and i brought up this topic. Well after a few Johnny Walker Blue's out came some law books. In his opinion Intent is written all over the statutes. It is as plain as day that removal of a vin tag for restoration or repair is not against any law. If you remove the tag to defraud or due to it being stolen property or for any illegal activity it is against the law. As long as the tag goes back on the car it came from unaltered(the tag) it is one million percent legal. I will not assume this is for all states but it most likley applies to most. Everyone in NY have a great time changing your dash pad. :cheers: