Author Topic: E-spindles? different??  (Read 947 times)

bbscamp

E-spindles? different??
« on: March 01, 2007 - 04:02:36 PM »
I want to run disks on my 70.  I now has drums.  I heard that the 70-71 DISK spindles can only take the older style 2 piece rotors and the 72-74 DISK spindles can take the unicast?  Is that true?

If so.....to use unicast rotors.....can I just use F/J/M or A Spindles????
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007 - 04:12:08 PM by bbscamp »

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: E-spindles? different??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007 - 04:34:41 PM »
Problem is the 70-71 e-bodies have smaller diameter bearings.  Switch to the later e-body or A-body spindles and you can use the cheaper and easier to find rotors.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007 - 04:56:08 PM »
To add to what Katfish said... my car has the spindles and rotors of a mid-70's a-body on it. The good news is, the drum brake line from a 70 E-body, will fit into the brake caliper of a mid-70's A-body disc brake caliper.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007 - 06:11:16 PM »

If so.....to use unicast rotors.....can I just use F/J/M or A Spindles????

Without getting into the whole FJM spindle debate, yes, they will bolt on. This would also includes any post 73 B body and R bodies as well.

The debate about the viability of these spindles is long and ugly. Suffice it to say that the two mopar mags and their respective tech editors, are on opposite sides of the fence about it.

So you are going into it with your eyes open, the taller FJM spindles are 3 pounds lighter and 3/8" taller. This additional spindle height raises the roll center location 1-2" over the A, pre 73 B, and E body spindle. If you have turned down your torsion bars to lower your car, this change can provide a benefit to the handling of your car. This additional height also changes the location of the upper ball joint. This new location allows the suspension to gain an additional couple of degrees of camber as the suspension compresses. This is a benefit as it keeps the tire in better contact with the road during cornering. The price of these gains is some additional bump steer. At 4" of compression, this adds up to additional .06 inch worth of bump steer. However, even this is not all bad as the bump steer creates slightly more toe out during the turn which can add more ackerman effect which will translate to a better feel of stability to the driver. 

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007 - 12:39:49 AM »
You may want to read this thread:   http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=29941.0
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Cranker

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007 - 07:01:10 AM »
this link should tell you all that you need to know..

Crank

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html
72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!