Found a S/E headliner The card board part

Author Topic: Found a S/E headliner The card board part  (Read 3091 times)

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: Found a S/E headliner The card board part
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007 - 11:35:15 AM »
Barracuda and Challenger headliners are different and will not interchange,  a Barracuda with leather interior also received the overhead console.

Yes, but I've heard folks taking SE headliners and trimming the rear to fit GCs.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007 - 05:50:06 PM »
if you are after an overhead console but the cardboard headliner is holding you back, it is pretty easy to put an O/H console in a vinyl headliner car.

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007 - 08:40:09 PM »
Getting back to the corrugated plastic sheeting.  I deal with that stuff every day.  It is not easy to work with at all.  We die cut it and make different packaging parts.  As far as forming the plastic to the shape needed for the headliner........If you had a heat gun and a premade form that you knew had  the proper curves, then you may get lucky.    I wouldn't use anything heaver that 5 mm as this stuff is tough.  It has memory and unless you heat bend to change the actual makeup of the plastic, it wants to return to its original shape.   As far as gluing to it.........Cold glue will not work, (elmers type)....You would have to use something like a 3M spray adhesive for good sticking.  The surface is slick.  If you want to try your luck as working with a piece without buying some, just go out and find an old election sign.   Most of them in plastic is in 4mm so it would give you an idea of what you are up against............Good Luck.........
Dave or David

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007 - 11:32:56 PM »
I took the cardboard out, and the previous owner looked to have sat and and put a bit headprint in the board, breaking it, but I ended up piecing it back together with elmer's glue and reinforcing the edges with fiberglass resin.  I am contemplating fiberglassing the whole damn thing since it is pretty flimsy.  Will try to post up some pics!

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007 - 04:09:04 AM »
just a reminder when using the 3M adhesive to use the HI-TEMP one.....if you use the reg one the glue will release after it gets hot and the roof will get hot enough with insulation....ask a buddy of mine....
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007 - 05:10:15 AM »
Saw this on Moparts:

Finally ready to offer for sale headliners for 1970 Challenger SE models. These headliner are cast in fiberglass which is more durable than the origionals. Each headliner comes ready to install with all holes and console openings.These headliners are accurate and are made using an origional OEM headliner as a mold. May work with Grand Coupe's as well although I do not have a roof to test fit in.
Also comes with sail panels.
Price $ 400.00 plus shipping (which has run $35-$98)
Does not include the fabric liner which must be glued to the backing.(working on that pricing)
E-mail me for photo's
Thanks, rtseucode@yahoo.com

:2thumbs:

Here's the email i received from 2RTSE. Seems ok from the pics...

Russ,
Attached you will find pics of my origional headliner and the new fiberglass one. The third pic is one laying in the other.
Thanks,
Steve
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007 - 01:04:13 PM »

Here's the email i received from 2RTSE. Seems ok from the pics...

Russ,
Attached you will find pics of my origional headliner and the new fiberglass one. The third pic is one laying in the other.
Thanks,
Steve
While applying the fiberglass to mine, I was wondering how hard it would be to create a mold and start reproducing them.  Guess someone else beat me to it.