Author Topic: Paint question...  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Stacked440

Paint question...
« on: March 05, 2007 - 10:32:03 PM »
My gas filler neck tube I had to media blast because it was fairly rusty...Now I have the problem that I've tried 2 different kinds of paint and gas eats them off the tube, anyone know of any paint/coating that gas won't touch?
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Paint question...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007 - 11:13:22 AM »
Industrial urethane over epoxy primer, or a colored mastic primer. Mastic primer is almost the same as POR products only it can't be sanded off. You have to use a grinder since it dries almost as hard as ceramic.
But, unless you got all the corrosion off the surface to begin with, almost anything could fail.

Offline bandit67

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007 - 11:16:51 AM »
  I am about to do one myself, Stacked, and I was thinking of useing that spray can of cold galvanizing. But, if someone knows that won't stick either, please chime in.....J

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007 - 01:57:10 PM »
  I am about to do one myself, Stacked, and I was thinking of useing that spray can of cold galvanizing. But, if someone knows that won't stick either, please chime in.....J
I tried cold gavanizing, let it dry a week & put it in gas which softened it overnight.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline DougsR/T

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007 - 07:13:34 PM »
rustolem enamal its tuff stuff when its dry

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007 - 10:20:14 PM »
I believe the filler necks should be coated with a thick lead-tin coating. can't find any place that does it though...

Lunch

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007 - 06:21:33 AM »
Nothing in a spray can will work because the paint in spray cans are not catalyzed. You need the chemical reaction between the paint, teh harner, and the catalyst to promote adhesion and provide the hardness to resist chemicals. There is one exception out there, and I forget the brand, who offers a rattle can with a vial of catalyst installed in the can. Shaking it up breaks the vial in the can, which catalyses the paint. however, once this happens, you only have a few hours to use the paint before it hardens in the can. It is also pricey, @ around $25 a can.

The other option is having it powder coated.

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007 - 07:04:11 AM »
 There is one exception out there, and I forget the brand, who offers a rattle can with a vial of catalyst installed in the can. Shaking it up breaks the vial in the can, which catalyses the paint. however, once this happens, you only have a few hours to use the paint before it hardens in the can. It is also pricey, @ around $25 a can.

The other option is having it powder coated.
[/quote]

was it possibly this brand?? :dunno:
http://alsacorp.com/products/killercans/killercans_show.htm
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007 - 02:43:52 PM »
so powder coating doesn't get eaten by gas?
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007 - 03:18:00 PM »
What about galvinizing?  :dunno:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007 - 07:05:18 AM »
Alsa does offer a commercial brand of catalysed rattle can, along with a host of other very trick stuff.  :naughty:

I spoke to my resident painter about the catalysed cans and he said almost any paint supplier can create these. The can and catalyst containers are a kit offered to paint suppliers to create custom blends. Similarly, any paint supplier can turn any custom mixture into a spray can offering. You just have to ask them to do so.

Yes, powder coating is highly resistant to gas. Once applied and baked, it creates a coating over the part, so it has excellent resistance to chemicals and other elements. The same is true of hot galvanizing as well.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007 - 10:39:17 AM »
Powder coating it should do it.

Offline matt63

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007 - 10:59:08 AM »
What about galvinizing?  :dunno:
I would go with this if you want a factory look.  You'll have to take it to a plating shop that does this.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD