Author Topic: Rally Guage Conversion  (Read 1166 times)

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
Rally Guage Conversion
« on: March 07, 2007 - 02:30:39 PM »
If there is another post on this please direct me to it, but anyway I was thinking about buying a rally cluster from somebody on the board to put into my 73 barracuda.  I was wondering what is entailed in the conversion.  Do you really need to change the harness because that seems like a whole big mess.  I figure speedo, volts, temp, and gas would be the same connections as the standard cluster, then all you would need to worry about is the tach, oil pressure, and clock.  Correct me if I am wrong, but you can just run the tack like you would run an external mounted tack and the for the oil pressure you could just change the sender.  The clock I dont really care about.  Also I know you need to change the light bar.  Is that a big deal?  Any info would be great before I decide on changing.

Thanks,

Matt

Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Rally Guage Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007 - 02:39:00 PM »
I know there is another thread on here about this topic, but I am not sure where it is at. You can change the oil sending unit and then change the end of the oil pressure wire from an idiot light to the correct connector for the gauge, you can run an additional line for the tach, the correct light bar for the rallye gauges has 4 lights instead of three (I did not change to the rallye gauge light bar when I did my gauge conversion), there are a few wires that will need to be lengthened, can't remember at the moment which ones, as far as the clock goes, if you want to hook it up all you have to do is run a hot lead to it from one of the junctions in the harness. I think those are the big changes, there might be a couple of others. Hope this helps, and good luck.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007 - 02:51:23 PM »
It sounds like you guys got it covered.  :thumbsup: The signal for the tach comes from the "-" side of the coil. Do NOT get confused as to where the signal, and +12 volts goes on the tach. You will fry it.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007 - 03:47:11 PM »
Here's what you need to do to convert the standard harness,

change oil pressure senders
cut the wires off the oil light
connect the grey oil light signal wire to the oil gauge
connect the dark blue oil light wire to the tach power. (this wire is 12V ignition switched)
run the tach signal from the negative coil post to the tach
splice 12V continuous power from the cigarette lighter to the clock

Done several of these, and never had to lengthen anything.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007 - 03:49:37 PM by Katfish »

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007 - 05:57:01 AM »
the heater switch control panel will have a nice gap unless you place it as well.

about $125 repro.

I am just going to leave mine for now....
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Cudaah

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007 - 12:22:32 AM »
very very useful info.  I have a rally gauge in my cuda that was originally a standard.  The tach and a few other gauges don't work so I am going in and seeing what I can fix.