Author Topic: 1971 Challenger R/T Grille disassembly and pics  (Read 4334 times)

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
    • Houston Mopar Club Connection
1971 Challenger R/T Grille disassembly and pics
« on: March 08, 2007 - 07:24:32 AM »
Hey gang....

Did a comprehensive search on 1971 Challenger R/T grille material and found some, but most of the attach files have been cleaned up. I'm looking for something that shows how to disassemble the grille brightwork on the front, and then the proper color for the R/T.........

I found this one thread with pictures, but was hoping to find more.........

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=22289.0

Thanks,,,,,,
Troy
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727
'70 Superbird 440 - 4speed

Offline Stacked440

Re: 1971 Challenger R/T Grille disassembly and pics
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007 - 07:47:56 PM »
I just finished making my non-R/T 71' challenger grill to an R/T one.  Basically everything argent on the non-R/T grill...is black on an R/T.  Silver accents stay the same, easiest way I can explain it.
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007 - 08:29:55 PM »
Thanks Stack....... What about the headlamp bezels?
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007 - 08:55:13 PM »
I replied to you on Moparts too, but I just completely redid my 71 grille, and a buddy of mine redid my headlamp bezels.  took it all apart and such.  If you need any information, let me know.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007 - 09:00:46 PM »
same deal, everything argent, just black instead :thumbsup:
-Kyle-

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007 - 09:24:09 PM »
How did you strip your grille of the speckle paint, looks like I'm going to have to use a spare grille I have instead of the original.  So far brake fluid doesn't work, and I don't want to use paint stripper.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007 - 04:13:38 AM »
Somewhere in here is a thread discussing the various strippers, but from experience I can tell you that they don't work very well.  I sanded mine.  It took a while but I assure you it's the BEST way even though it's not the EASIEST way.

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007 - 06:40:43 AM »
OK, so the black was smooth, no texture........ That only occured with the argent...... ?

Hey Ryan and Stacked....... Thanks alot !!!!  Ryan, do you have any pictures of the components from the rear...... I'd like to get a feel for how these things come apart.. I would prefer to disassemble the components instead of masking off to paint...... Seems the headlamp bezels are multi-component as well, not just one stamped piece.......

Troy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007 - 06:45:01 AM by hemi68charger »
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727

Offline Devil

• Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007 - 07:42:30 AM »
Somewhere in here is a thread discussing the various strippers, but from experience I can tell you that they don't work very well.  I sanded mine.  It took a while but I assure you it's the BEST way even though it's not the EASIEST way.

That's what I read as well, just seeing if he did something differently.

If you are talking about the centers of the grille, I don't at this time.  But I can explain it to ya.  They are held in with rivets.  I used a dremel to very... VERY carefully cut them.  I used water also to protect the grille.  Cause if you weren't careful, the plastic would start to melt and such.

The chome on the centers is relatively easy to take off, just carefully pull it off, they are just pressed in.

My headlight bezels were only one piece, what do you mean by not one piece?

Ryan

Ryan's Cars in Barns

71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007 - 09:36:53 AM »
there was another member that needed a rear tail-light panel pic...I forgot!  I'm going out there today, Ill get on for both of yas! :ylsuper:
-Kyle-

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007 - 09:39:25 AM »
oh, and TOTALLY agree with ROMI on the sanding it off not stripping it. the grill is made of PVC...which most strippers will if not melt it, will soften it.  Just taking your time with it. :thumbsup:  Oh..not to mention that argent paint is close to the strength of concrete, stripping it takes a while anyway! :smilielol:
-Kyle-

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007 - 08:08:05 PM »
They aren't put together but they are painted to be like the R/T ones, those I used paint stripper on because they are metal.  They are a little dusty in the pics heh, been sitting around the shop for a while :thumbsup:
-Kyle-

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007 - 07:29:35 PM »
This was a very good post on the subject.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=17878.0

I redid my bezels too by glass beading them and then polishing the areas that need to look annodized and then etched, painted and then cleared everything - after removing all the dents and scratches of course.  Since then a guy in the area opened up that does annodizing so I'd probably go that route next time.

Make sure you use the right repair material 3M Automix 5883 and drill pleanty of small holes through the area and patch front and back to keep it from cracking again.

The tailight panel pictures above aren't right either, the top raised edge is argent and I too missed that the first time around and was able to mask and fix it on the car.  I even redid my challenger emblem by glass beading, etching and painting black and then went back over it with very fine sandpaper and then cleared it and it looks great.  I took the emblem and put it on a board by drilling holes for the pegs and had it fitting tight so it didn't slide around.  Be careful sanding so you don't round corners off and get into the nickel under the chrome.  I did the same treatment on the grill dodge emblem too.

I very carefully polished my stainless in the grill too.  It might be safer to fasten it to a board but I got by but probably would board it next time.

On the grill, I too drilled out the rivets and did find a very close replacement at the hardware store that was a two part screw called a "screw post".  The front side looks like a nice wide rivet and is treaded and then a nice wide straight slot fastener comes through from the backside.  I got the shortest ones they had so the threads would look recessed from the front like the rivots do but yes, it's solid and not hollow but it's hard to tell.  Go slow drilling, some may crack but these screws take care of it anyway (being a bit wider).

My grill looks great and I did it myself so anybody that takes the time should be able to get similar results.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007 - 10:24:42 PM by 70Cuda »