Author Topic: Welder question  (Read 1088 times)

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

Welder question
« on: March 10, 2007 - 02:02:39 PM »
It was suggested in a earlier tread that I should buy a flug & mig welder.  Well I saw one on sale at Harbor Frieght for 199.99  Here are the specs.  My question, is this worth getting for repairing the floor in the chally?

110 amp 220volt flux & mig welder
for mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum,
weld with gas or perform flux  cored gasless
welding current range 58 to 110 amps

Walt

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Welder question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007 - 02:32:11 PM »
Flux core wire is too hot for performing sheet metal repair.  You should go with a gas (co2/argon) mig welder instead.  I also found a wire called "Twenty Gauge" that works very well.

1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007 - 03:10:56 PM »
I have that harbor freight welder for everyday use. It has held up for several years now and works great on the mig setting.  (flux core sux)

The main limiting factor is it only has 4 heat settings but it works just fine with practice. The other tool I have is the cheapie plasma cutter.  Once you go plasma you never go back!!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007 - 04:00:20 PM »
For body work and basic fix it type stuff it would hold up reasonably well. I used a similar style one for a long time with great results. However, if you want it to live, only use the one pound spools in it. Once you put one of those big 15# spools in it, it will over stress the drive motor and lead to erratic wire feed. Once that happens you won't be able to run a bead worth a hill of beans.  If you must go big to save $$, buy the big roll and spool it onto the smaller role.  Once you have any trouble with these cheap welders, you might as well throw em away. Consumables like tips, liners, hoses etc. are also kind of a pain to find as well.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007 - 04:21:03 PM »
I have that harbor freight welder for everyday use. It has held up for several years now and works great on the mig setting.  (flux core sux)

The main limiting factor is it only has 4 heat settings but it works just fine with practice. The other tool I have is the cheapie plasma cutter.  Once you go plasma you never go back!!

What kind of cheapie plama you got?

Lunch

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007 - 08:01:46 PM »
What kind of cheapie plama you got?

Lunch

I have that Chicago Electric one that harbor freight sells.  Cuts up to 3/8 steel but more if you go two passes.
I think it was $550 on sale a couple of years back.  Works like a charm

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007 - 10:50:47 AM »
personally I prefer the Brand name welders , Miller or Lincoln is all I would use , it is a but more $$ but well worth the extra quality & it wil  weld better 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007 - 11:11:38 AM »
I have a small lincoln welder too.  It's always giving me trouble

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007 - 02:32:44 PM »
have never had any problems with my llincoln promig175.  just make sure you have the polarity set correctly for the typo of operation you are doing
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007 - 03:44:46 PM »
well, not to brag or anything, but I gots me one of them Sears and Roebuck mini-mig welder( 110 volt) that I bought back in 1989, I paid $299.oo for it, ( the argon/carbon dioxide tank had to be purchased separate ) but I still use it to this day, and it works fantastic ! (No, I'm not a Sears employee!  :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:) But I do love this little machine! I run .023 wire and it works awesome for sheetmetal! :2cents:
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline 70RAGTOPR/T

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007 - 03:56:25 PM »
Thanks all for your input.

Walt