Author Topic: 70 Challenger Taillight Bezels and Lenses?  (Read 9976 times)

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
70 Challenger Taillight Bezels and Lenses?
« on: March 10, 2007 - 11:57:37 PM »
Fellow Members,

I'm certain that this topic has been discussed previously, but I can't seem to find the right postings that pertain my my query.  I am looking to replace my taillight bezels (pitted) and lenses (warped) and have found only a couple of options for aftermarket ones.

Regarding Bezels:  In a older thread I read of a guy by the name of David Seward in Florida who manufactures these, but can't seem to find how to buy them or learn of the quality.  I know PG Classic ($425) and Year One ($655) sell them, but that's about it.  Also, I'm confused about the correct finish on these.  Both of the previously mentioned suppliers sell these chrome with black paint around the edges.  My old, pitted bezels (don't know if original or not) are ALL chrome, no black paint anywhere.  Were the bezels produced in two versions?  Did the base Challengers have all chrome and the R/Ts and T/As have bezels outlined with black paint?  Does anyone know who makes/offers (or where can I get) the best quality bezels without braeaking the bank?

Regarding Lenses:  I believe mine are original, but they are quite warped.  I know these are available also from Year One ($420) and Mopars by Crane ($315) and possibly others.  Both sell as 3 piece set including back-up lense w/letters.  Has anyone had experiences with either of these parts from these sellers?  Is one set any better than the other?  Is Year One's prices higher because theirs are better repops or are they selling the same ones as Mopars by Crane, but with a considerably higher mark-up?

Your help with this is much appreciated.  Thanks
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: 70 Challenger Taillight Bezels and Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007 - 05:06:40 AM »
This is an expensive can of worms you just opened.  :scared: All of the tail light bezels were chrome, with black paint around the outside. If your's doesn't have black paint, then it probably started to peel, and someone stripped the rest off. These were made of cheap pot metal, and over time, most have pitted. I have replaced mine with aftermarket stuff. This was all about 5 years ago. At that time David Seward was the only one I saw repopping the bezels. He does the side marker lights too. The last contact info I have for him is TWOBLUEVETTES@aol.com I can't comment on any place else that makes repop bezels. I also have repop lenses that I bought on E-Bay. They look good, but my fit wasn't perfect. I let them sit in the sun for a while to soften up a bit, then I got them to fit just fine. Good luck with yours. This is an expensive way to go, but it looks so nice when you are done.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007 - 05:28:54 AM »
Thanx Mike for the feedback, but if you look at the attached photos of this restored original R/T (this was the debut show car that promoted the Panther Pink color), it looks like the bezels don't have any black paint on them.  They may have not been restored correctly, but I think this car was done to factory specs, a concourse restoration.  I realize this is "an expensive can of worms" issue, but I'm hoping to discover the best solution at the fairest price.  Thanx, Joe
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007 - 08:20:08 AM »
It looks like B/E&A sells the bezels with the correct black edges.

http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=e&cat=e
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007 - 10:29:15 AM »
 Don't mean to but in but are the deck and quarter trim on the pink challenger correct for a 70? I am currently replacing mine and they are rounded without the detail running down the middle.

:2cents: My original tailight bezels are timmed in black.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007 - 10:53:57 AM »
I bought a set of billet alum ones at Carlisle last year & they & the ones on my car are painted black
 I will se if I can find the vendor

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007 - 11:10:18 AM »
Don't mean to but in but are the deck and quarter trim on the pink challenger correct for a 70? I am currently replacing mine and they are rounded without the detail running down the middle.

:2cents: My original tailight bezels are timmed in black.

The bezels should be trimmed in black.  The rounded trim is original for the 70.  It should be the same as the edge on your headlight bezels.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007 - 11:19:16 AM »
The bezels should be trimmed in black.  The rounded trim is original for the 70.  It should be the same as the edge on your headlight bezels.

:iagree:

That pink Challenger looks nice, but it isn't how it came from the factory. Possibly someone restored it to their liking. Alot of us do it that way. I'm a good example.  :wave:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline LAA66

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007 - 11:48:37 AM »
 Thanks guys. I heard the trim with the detail was the only product available for many years. The YO trim I just purchased must be correct.  :thumbsup:

I read a post about the rear bumper guards that were available from Jacks Auto Parts. They don't have the rubber inserts like the ones on the pink Challenger though. Was that an option?  

Offline TommySS

• Forgot more than most will know...
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007 - 11:53:53 AM »

Absolutely correct.  If the panther pink R/T (presented above) is being touted as a concours restoration, it's not accurate.

Offline filmsurgeon

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007 - 12:21:33 PM »
Thanx to all for the feedback.  So, all-chrome bezels were not used on any 70 Challengers, not even base models?  Does anyone have recommendations for the lenses?  Also, I think "B/E&A Parts" is selling the same stuff as "PG Classic" but at higher prices.  Thanx, Joe

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007 - 01:25:01 PM »
Thanks guys. I heard the trim with the detail was the only product available for many years. The YO trim I just purchased must be correct.  :thumbsup:

I read a post about the rear bumper guards that were available from Jacks Auto Parts. They don't have the rubber inserts like the ones on the pink Challenger though. Was that an option?  

I believe the rubber on the rear bumper guards was just available on S/E models. All the after-market rear bumper guards don't have that on them.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007 - 02:07:03 PM »
The rubber strips on the rear bumpers were available as sales code M85, it included the rubber strips on the rear guards and front bumper guards. It was available on all 1970 Challenger models.

Barry

Offline mr.mopar

• mopar maniac
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007 - 05:59:40 PM »
hello
my untushed 70 challenger convertible have chrome bezels with black edge.
where can i bay som new rear bumper guards.year one does not sell them anymore.jims autoparts have them on the web but they overcharge the shipping cost to much on overseas shipping >:( and have some bad mail problems.they newer respond on mail exept those where the visa card# is on.
thanks runar
1971 cuda 6.1L hemi 5 speed
1971 challenger 383 shaker n96
1933 plymouth rod project
1987 harley

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007 - 07:51:41 PM »
So who re-pops the bezels?
 I just sent my pot metal ones out to be restored and I'm waiting for the estimate. I hope I'm sitting down when they call.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD