Author Topic: Charger Project  (Read 10244 times)

Offline Lunchbox

Re: Charger Project
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007 - 08:37:04 AM »
Click on Bill's link, there are plenty of pics of the parts laid out. I saved them all. I just like to look at them and imagine how they'd be welded in, etc. :chatting:

Ah-ha Thank you  :2thumbs:

Lunch

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007 - 08:56:22 AM »
Sorry but I had to do this!   :useless:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Bill Howell

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007 - 09:11:24 AM »
WOW thats some great looking stuff!   Gonna be sweet!!    :worshippy  :worshippy  :worshippy

Offline willhaven

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007 - 04:00:36 PM »
This car will be a sleeper I hope, I really like sleepers.
Then paint it puke green and put a luggage rack on it.

Then you need to find some rims that are wide as you need for performance but you can still toss on the original style hubcaps that would come on a 318 car.

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007 - 07:32:04 PM »
I have talked with a company about making me a set of 17" RallyII wheels. That way I would have the factory look but the better size for bigger brakes, etc.
You have to have at least a 17" to run decent aftermarket brakes.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007 - 08:05:11 PM »
Ah... true true. You're not going with the XV kit? What do you plan on using?

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007 - 08:11:05 PM »
We think we can use a wilwood kit for a C-5 setup. We are test fitting the ones off my malibu this weekend just to see. If so, the rear brakes are no biggy and I can save a good bit on money on a wilwood setup, since I do have some sponsorship connections there.

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007 - 08:20:36 PM »
I used to hustle a little pool here and there in my day and I had a custom made cue to my exact specs, but had it covered in the same wrap that they used to have on the budwieser cues. Whenever you seen someone walk into a pool hall with a budwieser stick you assumed that you had an easy mark and then ............ :money: You had to get creative back in the day. 

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007 - 03:41:50 PM »
Bill------ :popcorn:

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007 - 04:26:26 PM »
LOL, We have the frontend mocked up, some of the bracing done and waiting on the rearend housing right now. The 6.4 392HEMI got here about two weeks ago. We have been doing alot of test fitting to make sure all will fit ok, but so far no problems at all. I will post some pictures and link them, maybe tonight. Power Tour and life in general has gotten in the way somewhat on this project, just not enough hours in the week.
Thanks for asking though. I am looking forward to driving this car, should be a real sweet driver.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007 - 05:33:00 PM »
Awesome,
Looking forward to an update.

Wes

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007 - 08:44:04 PM »
 :popcorn: Very cool......
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007 - 10:06:24 PM »
Bill,
Hey thanks for the reply, I didn't know if you were still around this site. Great!  :cheers:

I forgot to ask, are you installing the XV II components yourself or having a chassis shop do this work? I would be really interested in pictures of the install whether here or musclerides.com. (awesome site too!).  I think you are the only build going that I know of using the complete XV Stage II setup without being XV installed.
I'm torn on suspension and the Mopar stuff is changing and evolving so quickly it's great to have new cars, builds and vendors for our rides.
I know there are a lot of Mopar purists who completely scoff any upgrades, but I'm all for it if......the car isn't a rare and collectible machine. Keep us in the loop. We have a lot of different car personalities on this site. There are a bunch of us that like the whole resto-mod, pro-touring, g-machine, and as NZ say BTS (better than stock) methods.

Thanks, Wes

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007 - 10:12:09 AM »
Yeah, I come here regularly, just have not had much to post until we got started. It is a Charger, not a cuda.....hehe
I picked the charger, just because I always dug that body style and missed one when I was 16 because I could not afford the insurance on the 400.....whoa big 155hp scared the insurance companies in 1974. Anyway, I found a perfect 72 SE in Arizona when I was out there this past January for the Barrett Jackson auction. Since it was not a special car, it is ideal for modernizing.
The new frontend bolts up like a glove, no issues at all. I told John and crew at XV that I would report things as they went, not hide any issues. However, other than a length issue on a brace (11/2 inch short my car is a 72 and their brace was made based on a 70) everything looks good so far. I am doing the work at a shop where two guys work on it part time. They have the equipment there that I just don't have in my home shop, plus, one is a great machinist, so he can make parts as needed.
The one draw back that I can see is that you can not get the XV cars real low, for "the look" that is hot right now, but the car will sit fine, and will handle like a dream. I looked at several options, including the alterKtion stuff and decided I wanted the XV parts. They just seemed to bee the best on the market to me. When the C-5 based spindles, the brake options are better too IMO. I will have pictures up as soon as my web guy gets them hosted on musclerides, and I will post a link. No need in using everyone's bandwidth. The really nice thing about redoing the rearend of a Dodge/Plymouth of those years, you can get a decent tire under the rearend without minitubbing. I am using 295s on the rear, and probably could squeeze more if I lipped the quarters.
Anyway, more to come soon, now that we are working on the car daily.