Author Topic: Charger Project  (Read 10237 times)

Offline MoparCar

Re: Charger Project
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007 - 02:58:58 PM »
That will look awesome from behind with the 18 x 10s. Nice!

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007 - 09:37:40 PM »
Fronts are 9.5 X 19 with 7.2 bs.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007 - 08:02:51 PM »
Woops, I mean't to say it will look nice with those 20 x 10s on the back..... :grinyes:
What size tires or is it TBD yet?

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2007 - 08:45:56 PM »
275-35-19
295-40-20

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007 - 11:25:50 PM »
New parts came this week on the big brown truck. Also a couple frontend shots with the sheetmetal removed.

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2007 - 11:30:01 PM »
Remember, just test fitting, nothing is final assembled yet. Now that we have most everything we needed to make it a roller again though, it should not be long before it starts taking shape again.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007 - 09:14:59 AM »
Very nice. What do you think of the XVs parts so far on mock up? Are they fitting as planned?

Thanks, Wes

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007 - 09:34:15 AM »
So far so good. The only issue this far was a couple of upper inner fender braces (that is why the fenders have to come off) that fit in between the inner and outer structure. The first ones were too short. Turns out that a 72 is a tad bit longer than the 70. I think we ended up with Cuda/Challenger braces actually. Whatever they were fit perfect. This is the first 72 Charger they have supplied parts for, so this is to be expected. The K frame is just beautiful under the car, too bad you won't see it.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2007 - 12:32:13 AM »
Sounds great. I'm still trying to decide between the XV and RMS front. 3K diff, that's big, but in the long haul.....

Thanks

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2007 - 06:44:20 AM »
The parts look beautiful, Bill!  Love all that aluminum under there!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline willhaven

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007 - 10:40:51 AM »
Bill, would a stock front end fit on a car that's had the entire XV stiffening kit installed? Reason being, I'm thinking of having a car built and I'd like to invest that little bit and have it mostly ready for an XV Level II kit if I decide to go that route. Even if I never do, the extra rigidity couldn't hurt, even with a more standard suspension setup.

The only worrisome part is the fender braces. I'm not quite sure how the XV suspension and the stock front end mount there.

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007 - 12:25:30 PM »
I know the XV guys read this forum so maybe one of them can jump in and help with your question. The inner fender braces mount on the fire wall and inside the inner fender, up high, so I dont think that would interfere with anything and would certainly stiffen up the unibody. Cool thing about this mod is it is unseen so easy to hid and people have trouble understanding why your car is so much stiffer thru the corners..... :cooldancing:

I have thought about powder coating the new front subframe so it blends into the dark also. I just love the sleeper look so it is just me. understated is cool to me. People will see the bling wheels and think nothing of the performance of this car til it is too late...hehe.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2007 - 01:28:13 PM »
Lookin' good....  She's gonna be a very nice ride.....    :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline willhaven

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2007 - 01:35:14 PM »
I know the XV guys read this forum so maybe one of them can jump in and help with your question. The inner fender braces mount on the fire wall and inside the inner fender, up high, so I dont think that would interfere with anything and would certainly stiffen up the unibody. Cool thing about this mod is it is unseen so easy to hid and people have trouble understanding why your car is so much stiffer thru the corners..... :cooldancing:

I have thought about powder coating the new front subframe so it blends into the dark also. I just love the sleeper look so it is just me. understated is cool to me. People will see the bling wheels and think nothing of the performance of this car til it is too late...hehe.
I sent them an email weeks ago asking about it and never got a reply. :dunno:

I'd say definitely do it dark. It's a beautiful piece, but I don't see why anyone would really want to highlight it. Maybe if it were a contrasting color scheme it would look great.

Do you happen to have any more images of the fender braces, what welds in vs what is bolt in? It would be nice to get a feel for how it goes together.

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2007 - 05:06:45 PM »
The braces are round tubing, cut to length and bent to a J with flat steel plates to weld to the firewall and inner fenders.  I don't have any pictures but will get some next time I go to the shop.