Author Topic: Charger Project  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Bill Howell

Charger Project
« on: March 11, 2007 - 11:38:54 AM »
Yeah, I know, it is not an E-body but the work on the 72 Charger has now officially began. I got the first of several shipments from XV  Motorsports on Friday. It was the complete Stage II package for the rear suspension. Great looking stuff. Now we have to determine the tire size and wheel offset so we can get the new Moser Dana on the way. I will have some pictures soon but thought I would check in and let everyone know the project is now officially underway.
BTW, I scored a new 392 HEMI for the car last weekend in Indy at the Hotrod Restoration Show. Mark, owner of Street and Performance hooked me up with his first one. These new Mopar engines are advertised at 520hp but Mark said they are really dynoing at about 540hp. That should be plenty for the charger, I can not wait to get this puppy finished and on the road. I plan to drive it on its maiden trip on the Power Tour this year.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Charger Project
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007 - 01:29:51 PM »
Got pics? We LOVE pics!!   :bananasmi

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007 - 03:44:54 PM »
Must... see... parts...

I assume they include an installation manual as well?

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007 - 04:08:39 PM »
Oh yeah, a very good set of instructions to go with the parts. The lower trailing arms are just pieces of arts, milled to perfection. A real shame they will be under the car and never seen. We will have some great install stuff to show soon. I will get someone to post the pictures as soon as I get them.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007 - 07:57:37 PM »
Did you go with the standard or thicker trailing arms? I know they said they planned to make two types.

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007 - 08:02:28 PM »
Not sure, I didn't know there were options on the stageII kit? They are about 1inch thick and 3inches tall if that means anything?

Offline willhaven

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007 - 09:04:03 PM »
Hmm, maybe they decided to not make the two different versions. On the Dream Car Garage show about this time last year, they'd have an installment each week showing the development of the XV Level 1 and 2 kits. At the time they said they planned two types of trailing arms for street and road racing and larger thicker ones for really high power cars (drag cars and such).

I doubt you'd need the larger ones, but I was just wondering either way.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007 - 06:26:09 PM »
Bill,
Any updates? I know you're over on another forum quite a bit but I hope you can keep us in the loop!  :bigsmile:
Your project sounds like it's going to be a killer!

Thanks, Wes

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007 - 06:34:04 PM »
Well, no real progress yet, but I do have the XV parts now.
Here is a link to my site with the pictures of them.
http://www.musclerides.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=1378&page=7

I also have paid for a new 6.4/ 392 HEMI from Street and Performance. TKO 600 is in the works also.
The 392 has about 540hp as a crate motor so that should just about do it.
The car is in the dissassemble mode right now, and I am getting plenty of pictures so we can document the progress.
Oh, I check here regularly, just haven't had much to add lately. I am glad to know this forum is interested in the project though, the couple charger forums I visit seem to care less, I guess they don't like the modern way of doing things....hehe.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007 - 07:26:47 PM »
Bill, that thing sounds like its gonna be a monster.   :burnout:

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007 - 09:12:08 PM »
Bill,
I know for certain that there are a few of us heading down the same modern road that you are. XV's systems and all the items look awesome. I can't wait for someone to give us a real world (not the manufacturer's) view of the installation and outcome. That 392 would be my dream motor, but I'll probably be doing the 6.1 for my project because of the additional cost of the 392. I saw you're getting the new XV headers also (on PT forum). Sweet. Which bell housing/kit are you using for the TKO?

Looking forward to this one and the future of modern kits and suspension for Mopars.  :2thumbs:
I've got to check out your build page next.

Wes

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007 - 12:38:17 AM »
 :useless:

Offline willhaven

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007 - 12:45:27 AM »
Click on Bill's link, there are plenty of pics of the parts laid out. I saved them all. I just like to look at them and imagine how they'd be welded in, etc. :chatting:

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007 - 06:47:02 AM »
Bill,
I got a chance to look at your thread on Muscle Rides. Awesome. This is going to be a great project. I figured it was probably a 69-70 Charger, but a 72--this will be awesome for a new ride. Something different! Can't wait to see more progress!

Thanks, Wes

Offline Bill Howell

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007 - 08:26:23 AM »
The tranny stuff is coming from classic chevy  speed. They are in the process (99% there) of doing the complete package (pedal, hyd. clutch, etc.) for mopars. Since E bodys and B bodys are close, everything they have will work on my car. The only thing they have to work out at this point is the clearance on the clutch with their hyd. system.

Mopar Car, yeah, I know that most people would build a 69 or 70 but I just dig the 71-72 body. As a teenager, working at a gas station back in 1974/75 I had to pass on a 72SE with that big 400 (200hp+/-) that was for sale at $1800 because the insurance was going to be $1000 a year. :clueless: Well, now it looks like I will have a 72 finally, it only took 31 years...hehe

This car will be a sleeper I hope, I really like sleepers.
Rest assured, however it turns out, good or bad, I will post it here. That was part of the deal when I bought the parts. If they perform half as good as they look though, I will be very happy.