Author Topic: Buying a New Computer --HELP  (Read 1294 times)

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Buying a New Computer --HELP
« on: March 12, 2007 - 09:13:34 AM »
Ok computer geeks please give me your 2 cents worth. Right now I have a Gateway Pentium2 with 5.99 Gig of hard drive and 312 MB of memory. This thing cost $2200.00 in 1999 when we bought it.  It still works but with all the knew stuff it is just not keeping up. I am looking at a Dell. I can't decide on -FIRST-the Processors- it is between a AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual core 3800+ or a Pentium D 915 with Dual Core Tech. ( 2.8 Gh. 800FSB). I don't know what the hell I just typed but that is what it says on the web site. SECOND-The memory it comes with 1Gig but since it comes with the new Windows VISTA ( which I heard it takes up alot of memory) I was going to up grade to the 2 Gig memory.
Third it also comes with 160 Gig hard drive but for $40.00 I can up grade to the 250 Gig ( is it worth it).
Fouth is the burners I have a choice between a 16X DVD+/RW Drive or a 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive.(what are they talking about) I could call them and ask Dell these questions but I heard they like to talked you into the most expensive stuff weather you need it or not. I have decided on a 19" flat panel. Video cards I don't know anything about but I don't play games so I guess it doesn't really matter what I get does it ?
Thanks for any advice you care to give but please try to keep it simple for a old fart like me....
I basically just use the computer for e mail and surfing the net and my camera but also want to get into Photo Shop which I understand takes up alot of memory space.
JS27
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007 - 09:24:25 AM by js27 »
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline LAA66

Re: Buying a New Computer --HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007 - 09:35:31 AM »
 I am in the same situation. They are saying to wait until the bugs are worked out of the Windows Vista program. Maybe a year or so.  I cannot wait that long as a terminal crash is imminent for my 2000 Dell. :popcorn:

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007 - 10:06:06 AM »
IMO,DELL ROYALLY STINKS,iv'e had nothing but problems with dell in the past,not the cumputor but the company itself.try to talk to somebody there willing to help you with anything,good luck.what ever you do DON'T BUY PER THEIR MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN.YOU WILL GET RIPPED OF ROYALLY.I had my invoice in front of me for what i ordered,got a bill down the road a few months later and was charged a additional 300.00 for what i ordered,tried to get them to fax me what they had on the order form and they wouldn't do it.never did get that problem corrected,i will never deal with dell ever ever again.two of my buddies had similar problems and had nothing but headaches with them also.i have nothing good to say about dell and co.  :stomp:  :swear:  :pullinghair:  :2cents:  :blah:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline v8440

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007 - 10:32:55 AM »
Dell (and others) will still sell you a machine with xp on it.  The key is that it must be in their business computer section.  No one is offering home pc's with xp anymore that I know of, but if you can find something categorized as a business machine that you like and can afford, you'd do well to get xp instead of vista.  Many if not most of those machines also come with an option to "upgrade" to vista later for free or a reduced price.  That lets you wait until many bugs have been worked out.

Either of the processors you mentioned will do fine for home use.  I personally think the intel core2duo line of processors is the best bang for the buck, but again, if money is tight, it won't matter that much for the average user, especially running xp instead of vista.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007 - 01:28:00 PM »
I don't play games so I guess it doesn't really matter what I get does it ?
Thanks for any advice you care to give but please try to keep it simple for a old fart like me....
I basically just use the computer for e mail and surfing the net and my camera but also want to get into Photo Shop which I understand takes up alot of memory space.

Since you made these statements then I should be able to answer all your questions.

FIRST- Since you do not use the system for anything high tech, you could go with either processor, so get the cheaper and you should be happy.

SECOND- I would stay away from vista until they get the bugs worked out so if you can find XP instead you should be fine with the 1 Gig (RAM) memory. If you have to get Vista, then you may want to get the 2 Gig, just for the heck of it.

THIRD- I am not sure what size Vista is, but the 160 Gig hard drive should be plenty for you since you are not a big gamer.  You could always upgrade a few years down the road without much trouble.

FOURTH- The 16X DVD+/RW Drive is a DVD burner which can allow you to make your own DVDs, it should also allow you to make CDs.  The 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive is just a CD burner/player which allow you to also play DVDs but not make them.  The choice is really up to you on this. I like the option of the DVD burner because you can backup your hard drive with fewer disks.  For example the CD holds about 700 Megs but the basic DVD holds over 4 Gigs.

FIVE- Video cards are a big part of the computer if you are a gamer or like to run hightech programs.  I would suggest that you get one that is about 64 Megs and since you are not a gamer, it should last you a long time without a problem. If they only sell larger version, then it will not hurt you to get a bigger one, but for your uses, you do not need anything big.

Hope this helps.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline v8440

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007 - 01:43:09 PM »
I agree with the above wholefartedly!

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007 - 02:28:16 PM »
Thank for the input--I knew I could count on all of you for advice.. :jumping: :clapping:
Js27
1967 GTX

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007 - 02:47:46 PM »
My advice... ALWAYS upgrade your RAM to whatever is the most you can get. One gig is OK now, but a few years down the road, maybe not. As for the hard drive, if 160 gig isn't enough, something is wrong.  :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007 - 03:50:09 PM »
pentium 2? :eek2:  I built my own comp from parts I ordered from Newegg.com.  But I'd say the easiest and cheapest way to get a newer comp without to much computer knowhow is to order one from dell pre-loaded with all the software and such. :2cents:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007 - 04:40:27 PM »
js27.... JackBoys suggestions are right on the money. 64 bit processors are really not of any use unless you are a power users.. infact I think software may have to be written especially for the 64bit proc... otherwise it doesnt matter.

I would stick with XP...but if that is not an option.. upgrade to Vista if you have to. I can tell you that I wont buy any VIsta PC's for my network for A LONG TIME. Unfortunately, MS thinks it is OK to force its users to upgrade by discontinuing support for older OS's.

Anyway... get yourself an aftermarket dual-layer DVD burner... you will be much happier and it will cost you about 75 bucks at COMPUSA or BESTBUY.
RAM - 1 to 2 GB will last you FOREVER...
get a decent video card... 128 MB again... it will last you forever... and 160GB should be plenty unless you start doing lots of DVD or video games.

good luck...

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007 - 05:09:51 PM »
Everyone has some great advice, and pretty much answered most of your questions, so I'll add a little.
My bud just bought a dell with Vista, and he's having a b!tch of a time with hardware conflicts,(old keyboards, LAN cards etc..), and he's a pretty wise computer guy.
 I pieced mine together, and I keep a 350 gig as my main hard drive, and a 300 gig for back up. Yes this is overkill, but I'm a huge fan of digital pics, so for an extra $40, I'd recommend the larger hard drive. It's good to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it down the road. You never know what youur future interests might be  :dunno:  :picture:
 Video card, yes don't cheap out. You'll apprecitae what it can do, even if you don't understand it  :thumbsup:
I've ran both Intel, and AMD for processors, and I would definitely recommend the AMD. It's reliability has made me a devout fan  :clapping:
 Go with Win XP if you can. That would be the most inportant advice at this time, being that you may not be familiar with the conflicts that the Vista Operating System is still dealing with.
 Good luck  :cheers:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007 - 06:50:44 PM »
Don't know the situation where you live but I am blessed to live in a town full of computer shops & each time I've had the bug for a new machine they were able to build a clone with open architecture that is easy to repair & upgrade and have local support rather than the 1-800-nohelp lines of the big boys. I also prefer to support small local businesses.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007 - 04:55:01 AM »
Well I bought it last night.
I got the Petd. D dual core  processor with 250 gig of hard drive and 2 gig of memory with a 19" flat panel monitor.
Dell did not offer Windows XP. I had to get Vista or nothing and since I don't have XP now I would have to buy it so I got the Vista. If it gives me trouble I will just delete it and buy XP. I will keep you all updated when I get all this stuff and then I will let you know what I think about Dell and Vista. Our head computer guy here at work has been using Vista for about a month now and he really likes it. Hopefully he can bail me out if there is trouble.
THANKS AGAIN.
JS27
1967 GTX

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007 - 05:27:07 AM »
js27,

If you are going to upgrade to XP at some time, be sure you save the driver CD that I hope came with your system, without it, life will be a beach.  You can download most drivers from Dell's website, but the network card is usually one of those things you'll need drivers for.  Nice catch 22 there.  I deal with Dells to the tune of about 1400 of them, so if I can help with anything, let me know.  BTW, what model is it ?

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007 - 07:59:27 AM »
Dell---E520 model
Thanks for the offer for help.-They got me for $931.00 tax included.
JS27
1967 GTX