Author Topic: Correct procedure for adjusting steering box play?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Correct procedure for adjusting steering box play?
« on: March 13, 2007 - 05:14:49 PM »
I know about the adjusting nut but a while back someone was talking about the "correct" way to adjust the play.How exactly is it done?Does the factory service manual explain how?Would it be the same for my `97 Ram?I remember seeing an article in one of the Moapar mags a few years ago that showed how to rebiuld a box,not sure if I can dig it up or not.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Correct procedure for adjusting steering box play?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007 - 01:10:10 AM »
It suggested adjusting the play on the input shaft first , I have never done this so far
 if it is a 97 Ram 4x4 they are aweful to drive , I have a kit available to reduce [drastically] the play in the steering , it is a brace that supports the steering box below the pitman arm , this will take most of the play away , the othert problem is the bar from the diff to the frame with hte stupid tie rod end on it , the tie rod wears out quickly & allows the diff to wander side to side there is also a kit to fix that problem that eliminates the tie rod end & usesa cross bolt design at both ends both upgrade parts cost approx $850 can to buy

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TrakHor

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007 - 06:00:09 AM »
This is the procedure I was told but it was for my "71 Ford Bronco. Same internal design but different vehicle obviously.
Step 1 Center the weels the best you can
Step 2 remove the drag link from the pitman arm
Step 3 tighten the bolt and turn the wheel left and right.
There should be 2-3 inlbs of resistance just as you cross the straight forward position. If you don't have an in lb torque wrench so the  lightest you can make it and still feel it will suffice.
Step 4 Is to reinstall the draglink with, but you need to not move the steering gear box. If the drag link doesn't just slip back on becaue the pitman arm is now pointed in a slightly different direction, then you need to adjust the tie rod adjusters to compensate. This is so the box isn't turned a little to the left or right bleeeding pressure into the steering valve possibly causing a "pull" to one direction or the other.

Jason

Offline djdmotorsports

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007 - 03:15:50 PM »
Well i know how to do this on GM steering boxes. They have two adjustments in the box itself. The first is the worm gear preload, just tighten up the worm gear nut and then back it off one flat or so. The second would be the box preload. GM boxes have an allen head adjuster on the side, losen it all the way up, get an inch pound toque wrench and turn the worm gear 45 degrees to each side like TrakHor stated, GM boxes are set at 10.5 inch pounds at center.
1966 Plymouth Valiant V200
1973 Plymouth Barraucda