Author Topic: No dash lights--Questions?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
No dash lights--Questions?
« on: March 14, 2007 - 08:17:47 PM »
 I have no dash lights when I turn on my headlights. I have no power at the fuse for them either. When I put jumper power over to them I can get the light bar to come on so the bulbs all work and it is grounded ok. I just got these manuals so I got a schematic to trace things out---but I'm not real good with electrical/wiring.  I think the problem is in my dimmer switch. I have power going to the headlight switch and then it comes over to the dimmer(I think). I can also turn on the dome light with the dimmer switch so it is getting power but not thru the dash lights. Doe's anyone know where to get this switch or is there any way to rebuild it. The parts guy at NAPA just laughed and said good luck???

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: No dash lights--Questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007 - 08:44:14 PM »
It does sound like the reostat. Did you wiggle it and move it continuously? It may just need cleaning. Did you see if you had power going up to it?  Mine didnt work for a while, then I kept going up and down on the dimmer and it started working again. But your contact might be bad too. If so, a bunch of people here probably have that part to sell you.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007 - 08:58:05 PM »
Napa has the dimmer switch available, you just need to find someone there that knows how to look it up.  ;)

I had a similar problem years ago and it was the dimmer switch. Hopefully that is your probelm too since they are cheap and easy to replace.

Barry

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007 - 10:33:44 PM »
Napa has the dimmer switch available, you just need to find someone there that knows how to look it up.  ;)

I had a similar problem years ago and it was the dimmer switch. Hopefully that is your probelm too since they are cheap and easy to replace.

Barry

What is the best way to to tell them to look it up cause I dont want to spend $150 foe a NOS piece.

Lunch

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007 - 11:03:42 PM »

Barry

OK... is there a secret to this.... Not on the web site....Any advice on how to find the switch GURU at NAPA....a part number would be much appreciated.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007 - 11:28:00 PM »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007 - 06:27:56 AM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007 - 10:09:02 AM »
I am looking for this, or a place that rebuilds them.

Lunch

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007 - 01:23:07 PM »
Ok, let me luck in my stuff. Is used ok? I think I have a good one . There whas one on ebay last night for 18 bucks with 3 bidders and 15 hrs left too.

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007 - 01:41:47 PM »
I have definately seen them on ebay time and time again . They weren't expensive either. I had the same problem .
1974 Barracuda

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007 - 02:24:18 PM »
That was for a NOS switch. My switch the bluish green ceramic wheel is crumbling makes me wonder if these other used ones would do the same.  :dunno:

Lunch

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007 - 02:25:59 PM »
Just to throw my 2 pennies in for any of you that don't want to stay stock. I replaced my dimmer with a toggle switch. It is amazing how much brighter my dash lights are over the cars that still have a dimmer on them.

Mike

EDIT: I found a pic. The switch isn't that noticeable, but the rare fuel pressure gauge is.  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007 - 02:40:05 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007 - 09:19:16 PM »
Oh, ok, my dash light problem was caused by the floor dimmer switch failing, not the panel dimmer switch. I do not know of any replacements for the one on the panel.  :dunno:

Barry

DJW

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007 - 07:05:46 PM »
I have a similar problem (dash dimmer switch doesn't work all the time);  and looked all over.   I found a used on on ebay a while back for about $20 and I've seen some "refurbished" for about $50.00.   I would just watch ebay....   Good luck

Vermont MOPAR

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007 - 08:11:28 PM »
you can just wire across the switch as the lights are usually on max most of the time anyway but you will lose the dim effect bypassing the switch this way 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t