Author Topic: HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!  (Read 15713 times)

Offline magnumcharger

HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!
« on: March 18, 2007 - 03:50:10 PM »
1970 Challenger R/T
I bought the car in Shilo, Manitoba, for the grand sum of $800 in June of 1984.
It had a 383 Magnum, 4 Speed (with pistol grip), original engine and transmission. (Numbers matched the VIN). It had a 650 Holley double pumper on an Edlebrock Torker intake, 8mm yellow plug wires, Rhoads lifters, and had a set of headers, no mufflers, running to the factory resonators and exhaust tips.
I have no documentation as to the VIN #, or options off the data plate, even though I have contacted MPIC in Winnipeg, with no effect.

The car had the following options (or lack thereof..)
Manual steering,
radio delete,
power front discs,
buckets and a console, (which I removed as it was beat to pieces), and the mounting brackets were removed in the process.
The engine had an aircleaner off of an Air grabber-type cold air package, which looked like the Six-pack style.
I had a custom decal made that said 383 MAGNUM that looked factory. The car was originally dark forest green (F8), with a tan brown interior. I repainted the car Plum crazy Purple (FC7) in 1985, when I did a bodyjob. The interior stayed tan, and the front seats were reupholstered in a slightly different material than the back seats, and I never got around to installing carpet.
The front fenders, front valance, and quarters all had some filler in them when I got the car, (and I added a bit more).
One of the tie downs on the rear frame rails was pulled out, likely the result of a shipping accident.
I added a 'swept wing' off of my '71 Charger R/T to the Challenger's trunk lid. I replaced the driver's door, so the VIN sticker isn't there. The hood is the most distinguishing feature. When I got the car, it had a fiberglass hood scoop riveted on top of the factory R/T hood, and a hole was cut under it. I took the hood to a body shop, and they cut out the entire center raised portion aft of the scoops. A very large piece of metal was welded in, resulting in a hood that looked original from outside, but the surgery was evident underneath. It had a piece of styrofoam between the hood brace and the sheet metal.
It had factory hood pins. It had the wheel well chrome and the pop open gas cap with FUEL on it, but was missing the trim ring. The backup light was missing the last E in DODGE. The front bumper was from a 72-74 Challenger as it had the slots for the bumper jack. The input shaft on the four speed was trimmed rather crudely, to fit the crank of the engine, which had been replaced at some point. The engine was also missing the bottom of #1 cylinder from having thrown a rod, by a previous owner.

I raced the car at Gimli, and ran a 14.48@99mph, cracking my windshield in the process. I traded the car to Dennis Romanuik in Lockport in 1986, for a beat 1969 Roadrunner (STUPID!). I kept the wheels, and the last time I saw it it was up on jackstands, with no wheels on it. He said he sold it to a young guy in Winnipeg, who supposedly painted it red. He couldn't remember his name. He also said he replaced the '71 wing with a '70 style.

That's about it. Does anybody know of this car?
Thanks,
Robin McQueen (dodgedeora@yahoo.ca)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009 - 09:41:41 AM by magnumcharger »

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
Re: HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007 - 11:21:35 AM »
Contact Wayne Farmer in Winnipeg. He is a big Mopar fan and has a lot on contacts. He may be able to help. Just tell hin I sent you his way. I'll send you a PM with his contact onfo.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007 - 11:23:59 AM »
Good luck with your search!    :thumbsup:

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009 - 09:43:48 AM »
Welll....I'm still looking!! I've hired a private investigator to provide some assistance. I'm deadly serious about finding my old ride!!
I would very much like to have the assistance of anybody from the Winnipeg, Manitoba area...Wayne Farmer??

Thanks guys!

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009 - 09:53:38 AM »
Hope you find it still in one piece. :cheers:    If only we could take those dam* hindsight glasses off the back of our head and point them forward. There would be a lot more cool  :burnout: going on.
Good luck

Kevin
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009 - 12:14:45 PM »
I sincerely wish you luck finding it.  I've wanted to find my dad's 72 'Cuda, but haven't bothered hiring an PI.  The car wasn't in good-enough shape to warrant that kind of search.

Good luck!!!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009 - 05:30:58 PM »
Just in case....I've uploaded my photo album of the car to flickr.com.
Here it is:
http://flickr.com/photos/dodgedeora/sets/72157613616386682/

Yes, if we could only go back in time!!! $800 bucks for a numbers matching 383 Challenger R/T.
As you will see, it was rough, but I made it into a beauty!

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009 - 05:47:34 PM »
I live in Winnipeg. I will aska round and do some checking. i will mention it to our Mopar club and a few area guru's who seem to know all. I wll post here if and when I find anhything

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009 - 06:14:15 PM »
I live in Winnipeg. I will aska round and do some checking. i will mention it to our Mopar club and a few area guru's who seem to know all. I wll post here if and when I find anhything

That would be fantastic!
I have a thought: I've heard of a guy who lived in the Winnipeg area, who was a bit "different" so to speak.
He died not too long ago, and in his yard there were literally HUNDREDS of Mopar musclecars. A 'Cuda convertible was in a quonset hut, that I saw pictures of.
I've heard his "collection" was sold off at auction.
I'm wondering if maybe my Challenger found it's way to his place at some point?

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009 - 09:40:02 PM »
Robin,
I will tell you where it is......

after you finish the Deora. I may need that much time to find it.   ;)

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009 - 09:46:27 PM »
If you have the VIN # I may be able to help you. Don't ask how. I am  :canada:
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline DmanSRT69

• Diggin' holes is fun
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009 - 10:31:08 PM »
I remember discussing this with you quite a few years ago.  You've got patience, my friend.

I'm in Winnipeg as well. Let me know if you need anything.  I'm good friends with a guy in the Mopar group here as well, who knows quite a few people....

Darren

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009 - 06:20:09 AM »
If you have the VIN # I may be able to help you. Don't ask how. I am  :canada:

Hmmmm...one of my BIGGEST problems with tracking this car down is the fact that I don't have any idea what the VIN number is or was....
It was just after I traded the car off that I became aware of the term "build tag", etc.

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009 - 06:22:42 AM »
Robin,
I will tell you where it is......

after you finish the Deora. I may need that much time to find it.   ;)

Barry.....I'm a man with a whole lotta patience!! (And you're the man with the information!)

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009 - 06:23:40 AM »
I remember discussing this with you quite a few years ago.  You've got patience, my friend.

I'm in Winnipeg as well. Let me know if you need anything.  I'm good friends with a guy in the Mopar group here as well, who knows quite a few people....

Darren

Darren,
Anything you can do to help would be great! Thanks!