HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!

Author Topic: HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!  (Read 15722 times)

Offline magnumcharger

Re: HELP! I need my Challenger back!!!
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009 - 11:20:44 AM »
Wow thats way too cool...are you going to be able to buy it back?   :bananasmi

It remains to be seen...it's going to be a lot of work!
But I'll be trying my best!!

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009 - 11:23:12 AM »
This is one of the cooliest threads I have seen on here in a long time!  VERY cool.  Are you restoring it back to stock looks?  It looks like it will be a nice car.  Congrats on finding your car, you must feel so fulfilled.

Don

If and when I get it back, I'll be aiming to put it back to stock - with select "upgrades".
Since the original block is now missing, I'd have no problems taking a 400 block, and a 440 crank...and building a stock-looking 451.

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009 - 11:25:47 AM »
Great story !! Most never seem to find their cars. Does the same guy own it that painted it Red years back ?

Nope, the young guy who bought the Challenger off of the guy I traded to, was the guy that painted it red. He sold it to the current owner in 1998.

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009 - 11:29:10 AM »
if you do get it back does it still have the pistol grip or that t-handle hurst shifter?

When I got the Challenger back in 1984, somebody had previosly swapped the pistol grip handle out for the T handle. Within a month of buying the car, I had sourced a replacement pistol grip handle for the grand sum of forty dollars....and slid it right in. The shifter components being a regular "competition plus" arrangement, made switching the handle very easy.

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009 - 11:36:13 AM »
I have a feeling that you'll have to find another Challenger for this guy, before he gives up your old one.  Now that you found it, do you still have the same feelings for it?  You restored it once before, do you want to do the same car again?

With all of the press around finding this car, do you now feel that you have to buy it, since everyone is waiting to hear the outcome of the story?

Rob

I'd considered the prospect of swapping another car out for my old ride. However, the logistics of this kind of arrangement, being that he's halfway across the country, and there is basically nothing for trading material in this area, my only option is to offer him a reasonable amount for the car, and hope he goes for it.

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009 - 02:23:36 PM »
Good luck with it ! I hope he decides to sell to you. Hopefully he doesn't see/think he has the chance to get rich. Has he given you any indication either way? Does he look open to selling/offers ? BTW I love the original color combo.  :thumbsup:

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009 - 07:06:52 AM »
Good luck with it ! I hope he decides to sell to you. Hopefully he doesn't see/think he has the chance to get rich. Has he given you any indication either way? Does he look open to selling/offers ? BTW I love the original color combo.  :thumbsup:

I'll need as much luck as I can get!
Unfortunately the first word out of his wife's mouth when I phoned was: "it looks like we've won the lottery Dear"....if that's any indication....
As far as offers, he tells me he's had LOTS of offers, from almost everybody who has seen the car, including the bodyman who installed the rear quarterpanel patches.
It could be a bidding war.
I've had several cars in F8 green, and I've repainted most of them to another color! I didn't care for the color, until I saw a 1969 Hemi Charger 500 at my friend Kori's shop. That turned me around on the subject!
I'm thinking that F8, in basecoat/clearcoat especially, when applied properly, can be one of the nicest hues going.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009 - 07:15:33 AM »
"it looks like we've won the lottery Dear"
Wow, It looks like you made the price jump up with all the publicity and they think that you have Jay Leno money. It might be lots cheaper to buy another car and build it the way that you want it. Its not a numbers car like it was years ago. Wait for them to call you and move on.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009 - 07:38:43 AM »
Yes, the very process and publicity involved in finding this car may well have worked against me with regards to pricing.
My plan "B" has always been to buy a NEW Challenger R/T....which would be the intelligent alternative, as I really DON'T need another project car!
My old Challenger would be the ONLY exception to that rule.

Offline kmyles

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009 - 11:22:22 AM »
Wow, Great story! Glad to hear that you found the car! Best of luck getting it back :2thumbs: :canada:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline cwestra

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009 - 06:46:40 PM »
Wow, It looks like you made the price jump up with all the publicity and they think that you have Jay Leno money. It might be lots cheaper to buy another car and build it the way that you want it. Its not a numbers car like it was years ago. Wait for them to call you and move on.

Rob
I agree.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline RedMan

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009 - 06:26:42 AM »
Wow  :eek2:

Offline magnumcharger

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009 - 02:17:17 PM »
I'll be stopping to see my old Challenger on my way through Manitoba at the end of May. I'll post pics and update this thread then.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009 - 02:33:56 PM »
cool... good luck  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline model maker

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2009 - 07:15:32 PM »
Great story, I am glad you found your  car and hope you can get it back. :wow: